Micro 4/3 Panasonic GX7 review @ Imaging Resource

You crack me up Ray! In a good way. I expect that you will be back shooting Fuji X by Summer 2014.

Never say never, but I pretty strongly doubt it. Once I left Nex, I never went back. I doubt I'd go back to Fuji as one of the key things that drew me to it (the OVF) is an almost insignificant part of their system anymore. More likely if I try anything else it would be the A7 once the lens lineup fills out, but I don't see that happening soon. The Zeiss zoom would cover the key focal lengths I like (24, 28, 35 and an almost portrait-ish 70) and if it carries easily enough, that would be an outside possibility, but I don't think a constant f4.0 is gonna excite me and I think it's gonna be bigger than I want to haul around. So I'm probably waiting for some wide primes. More likely someone will come out with something out of the blue that I haven't even thought of yet that will catch my interest (like the Nikon A, GR, and RX1 did this year - none of those were on my radar). But of the stuff I can anticipate, I'm not lusting for anything...

-Ray

You carry a lot of weight, Ray... and, no, I don't mean in in your camera bag! ;) Your evaluations and opinions are well respected! And thanks for the input.

I haven't had an EM1 in my hands and honestly, I just haven't been motivated enough to make that happen. I like keeping my m4/3 bodies relatively smaller, lighter, and still highly capable. The GX7 does that well.

Between the GX7, EM5, EP5, and EPL5 that I have right now, the GX7 is the one getting the most action. And I'm likely to stick with it. I love the EPL5, but it's totally superfluous and unused by me. Between the EM5 and the EP5, I use the EP5 more. Soooo... I may let my EM5 and EPL5 go and hang onto the GX7 and the EP5.

I'm sort of thinking aloud here, but my point is that I, too, feel that the GX7 is an excellent choice as a primary m4/3 body. :)

How well does the GX7's focus peaking work in very low light?

Rangefinder focusing on my Leica allows me to snap photos of my cats in the middle of the night in extremely low light conditions. My Canon 7D DSLR frustratingly simply cannot function in the same conditions, even when I try to manually focus, I can hardly see through the viewfinder.

The Australian Panasonic GX7 refuses to load for me, could someone please try it and let me know if it works for you:

Page Not Found - Panasonic Australia

I'm trying to have a look at the specs for the Australian version of the GX7. Different versions are released in Australia particularly for the video function. The GX7 specs I've seen says it does 24p but that does not work for Australian electrical devices which will cause a flicker when filming in fluorescent light. It really should be 25p.

The Australian Panasonic GX7 refuses to load for me, could someone please try it and let me know if it works for you:

Page Not Found - Panasonic Australia

I'm trying to have a look at the specs for the Australian version of the GX7. Different versions are released in Australia particularly for the video function. The GX7 specs I've seen says it does 24p but that does not work for Australian electrical devices which will cause a flicker when filming in fluorescent light. It really should be 25p.

Doesn't load for me, either. I tried on Firefox and IE, I receive the message, "Please wait while we are processing your request".

Grand daughter at Thanksgiving

I received the GX7 during the Thanksgiving week. These were taken at ISO 3200 hand held with the 14-42 kit lens at widest aperture, and no flash. She was fascinated by the candle and kept trying to blow it out. She is 2 1/2. These are straight from the camera jpgs.

P1000062.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1000054.jpg
P1000039.jpg
P1000036.jpg

Is there any reason why the GX7 could not be used as a professional working camera in terms of image quality with the right lenses?
Same basic IQ as the other current m43 bodies (other than lack of AA filter in EM1), so if you find other m43 cams adequate for pro work, the IQ of the GX7 would be too. I don't really know what pro work entails, but I suspect there are many different kinds of pro work. I know the GX7 is absolutely good enough for any of my work...

-Ray

I suppose for portraiture, product photography, lifestyle photography, and documentary work?

I just meant I don't know what sorts of IQ tests a "pro" shot has to pass or where m43 fits in. I hear anecdotal stories about pros transitioning to m43 gear. My niece is a damn good wedding photographer but still young and fairly broke and she was jealous of my m43 gear and thought the IQ would be more than good enough for her uses. She was checking it out over our Thanksgiving holiday last weekend, but she just can't afford new gear at this point. I've sent her a few of the raw files and she's played with them and has concluded that the differences in sensor performance between full frame, APS, and m43 aren't big enough to matter for what she does - she'd be happy with any of it. She's shooting with a couple of generations old Canon full frame but mostly primes because she can't afford the fast zooms. She would LOVE to have an EM1 with a 12-40 and 35-100 and maybe one or two primes. So I know it's good enough for some types of pro shooting. But maybe there are some types where it's not? Maybe not up to shooting sports and action, but probably not an IQ question as much as performance...

-Ray

Back