Micro 4/3 Panasonic GX7 Released today. Whoop!

I never end up buying any of these system cameras, but I get really excited about their announcements. I've been following the Micro Four-Thirds world recently and there seems to be an uncertainty about the system. With last year's OMD E-M5 and today's GX7, it makes me wonder how such a promising format could be in "trouble."

I think the m43 system is complete.....even if both companies suddenly quit, there's plenty of great gear and all focal lengths are covered. There are many "Chicken Little"s on the interwebs.

That's right... but it's apples vs oranges. The GX1 started at $699. The GX7 starts at $999 without lens. The GX line has moved upmarket. Now, don't get me wrong. I would love for you to be right and me to be wrong (always a possibility and even highly likely). But I honestly don't expect the kind of price drop that we'll probably see again with the G-series and GF-series. At least not until the GX7 close-outs prior to its replacement.

Seems like apples vs apples to me. Price is no indication. As you say the GX is an upmarket line. The GX1 was the move upmarket from the GF line. The GF1 was upmarket in it's day. That's why the GX1 was perceived as the true replacement for the GF1. The GX7 is another camera in the GX line. It's not a matter of Panasonic defending it's prices. It's a matter of what the market can bear. The market had no interest in the GX1, the later GFs or the LX7 for that matter at their initial prices. That's why Panasonic had to drop the price. It's not like Panasonic had planned the drops from the get go irregardless of how well it sold. They responded to the market. In order for the GX7 to maintain it's price, it has to sell. If it doesn't, it'll quickly follow the GX1. Upmarket camera or not.

Hi everyone,
Looks like it could be the best micro 4/3rds yet. Would be good to have a comparison test against the OMD-E5, using the same lenses to really see how they compare.
I hope the cost will drop to a more affordable level here in the UK, when its newness has worn off, so I might be able to consider owning one then!
Currently £819 body only on pre-order, £899 with 14-42 lens,£999 with 20 lens. Ouch !

I have litteraly just come up for lunch- I'm at work -after playing with the GX7 and OMG what a solid, brilliant camera. Rear screen is superb, EVF is small, A bit too small for me, but very clear and good when panning. Can't seem to see the IS working but shots were crips and clean so must be working. High ISO images are superb. At ISO 6400 the fils we took in a cupboard were really really good. At top ISO of 25600 or whatever it is the files are kinda still usable and really good. It feels really nice in the hand, a bit heavy even with the 20mm on it but feels awesome build quality. this is one GREAT camera.

I wish I could put loads of exclemation marks on this thread but this keyboard is knackered LOL

Hi Ghosthunter,
You're a lucky guy being able to play with this new model, even though you're at work !
Just ask them if you can 'borrow' one for an extended test drive..........say about a month or so.....that should find out what it's really like to use !

If you can't manage this then I offer my services to put it through its paces ! LOL :)

Let me know when the price drops to under £600 !

I was trying to stay away from the forums for a while, because I've been so busy with work -- and trying to keep away from GAS flare ups. I was so proud of myself for not having bought any cameras for a few months. I actually resisted the urges to buy a Ricoh GR, Nikon A or Fuji X100s!

But after lurking, and reading so many previews about the GX7 ... AAARGH. Major GAS flare up.

The GX7 seems to tickle ALL the right boxes for me -- short of sticking a full frame sensor in it. Nice looking semi-retro rangerfinder style, EVF, tilt screen, face detection, IBIS, wifi shutter trigger via iPhone, lots of controls and customizable buttons, electronic silent shutter, and 1/8000" max shutter speed!! Finally, 1/8000 max shutter speed!!

Looks like I'll be pre-ordering ... OMD is going to feel scorned.

I've been following the Micro Four-Thirds world recently and there seems to be an uncertainty about the system. With last year's OMD E-M5 and today's GX7, it makes me wonder how such a promising format could be in "trouble."

A small part of the reason I got out of m43 was because I was tired of the constant (on every m43 forum) posting about why choose m43, why every other system is better than m43, why m43 would fail, and why m43 users were insecure (which, btw, I think is related to the first three). It wasn't because I think m43 would fail, but just got tired of all the noise not related to using m43.

To be fair, though, the main reason I got out of m43 was because I have big personal projects coming up, and photography is going to take a major back seat to them, so I paired down my total gear.

GX7 is a wonderful camera I would have loved last year. I look forward to seeing people's work with it!

The EVF is small? Wow. Surpised by that. But then again, no free lunch. Larger EVF, Larger camera.

The only thing I really have need for right now is a better sensor. That can be had with the E-PL5.

No weather sealing, yes I know you can't have everything, but it's the one thing that would change the photos I can take.
So, I'm sticking with the GX1 and EVF and a plastic bag.

I currently have 2 Olympuses - or should it be, Olympi? - the small and quite cool relatively new E-PL5 whose sensor (supposedly identical to that of the OMD) is, in a word, fantastic! And my old faithful, an E-PL2 whose larger body size works quite comfortably wit my larger lenses. Well, 'larger' may be a misnomore - but the Oly 40-150 zoom is larger than my pancake 14mm Lumix - and my other semi-large glass, a combination of an extraordinary old manual Pentax lens (the legendary 50mm f/1.7) plus an adapter, actually makes for a sizeable and weighty lens combo. But, in all honesty, the E-PL2, though it makes beautiful pictures, can't match the E-PL5 for dynamic range or, ultimately, some resoution aspects. So....I'm considering replacing (or upgrading?) my E-PL2 body with....a GX7. But I have a question....which is probably unanswerable at present - but I'll ask it anyway ---

Just wondering what the opinion or consensus of opinions is on how the GX7's dynamic range .... will compare to that of the most recent/modern Sony-sensor-equipped Olympuses (like my E-PL5)? Will it be as good? Better? Or at least....in the same ballpark?

Given that the GH3 to all intents and purposes has the identical Sony sensor as the OMD, the E-P5 and my own E-PL5 --- I'd be happy if the GX7 had a sensor at least that good ----

But will it?

What do you all think out there in Serious Compact land?

Nobody really knows what sensor is going to be in the GX7, whether its the same one in the GH3 (rumored to be a Sony, similar to the EM5, EPL5, etc) or a new Panasonic made sensor or something else entirely. I seriously doubt it will be less capable than the current generation of Olympus sensors or the GH3 sensor - it just wouldn't make sense for a camera that's so high-end otherwise. But that's just speculation, which I think is all we've got for now.

-Ray

And I think that they were also claiming it to have the best IQ out of any Micro 4/3 camera yet. No big deal really. Even if it has only 0.01 more stops of dynamic range and a bee's dick less noise at ISO 6400 than the existing Sony-based sensor it will still be extremely good.

Back