Panasonic Panasonic G3 announced and reviewed - 25mm f/1.4 to be Leica Branded

soundimageplus

Top Veteran
Screen shot 2011-05-12 at 08.28.42.png

Panasonic G3 announced with full review and sample images (including raw) at Photography Blog.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Review | PhotographyBLOG

There's also a preview, with samples at Dpreview.
Panasonic DMC G3 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Screen shot 2011-05-12 at 09.20.11.png

Here's a Panasonic promo. video.
<iframe src="
" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

Also in an interview with Panasonic on the Photography Blog site - Panasonic G3 Question and Answer | PhotographyBLOG
This little gem came out.
Question: And there's a new lens to go with the G3 isn't there?
JM: “Yes, here's the first working sample of the 25mm f/1.4; really eagerly anticipated and not planned for launch until the second half of this year. It will be Leica approved and branded."

A sober video preview is available on Photoradar (sober when contrasted with the panasonic marketing video...):

YouTube - Panasonic Lumix G3 first look from PhotoRadar.com

Interestingly, the reviewer mentions enthusiast level users of the GF1 being disappointed with the GF2, and that this is likely the camera they sought: key controls are manual, and a built-in high quality EVF.

I will await some more information, but it does look like it's around the size of the GF1 + EVF, with a better sensor, top notch EVF and a swivelling screen.

With a 14, 20 and 45 lens kit, this could be very versatile: if you are in to video add the 14-140 and you are set.

They should have kept the left dial. I really like the left dial on the GH2 (and all other previous non GF bodies).

Panasonic seems to have priced the G3 well though. With the new sensor, it appears to be a more compelling choice than the G2.

"The images were a little soft straight out of the camera" from Phiotography Blog

He wasn't kidding.
The more I see of the newest Lumix offerings the more I appreciate what I have. :)

Back