Film Opinions on the Bronica S2 ?

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I'm a huge fan of 6x6 and a square crop is my favourite digital bit of post-processing.

I have a Rollei TLR which I enjoy immensely, particularly the enormous view-screen, however I'm after something a little handier. I'd get a Hasselblad but they're still fairly pricey.

The Bronica S2 (the 'a' seems to be the one to get) has always caught my eye because of the retro styling and compact size.

Anyone have one that they'd care to share their experiences on the forum ?

Dear Phigmov,

You are right about choosing an S2a rather than an S2! The transmission gears are much stronger. You might also consider an EC or (better yet) an EC-TL. I had an EC-TL for years - it was a terrific camera and having built-in (aperture preferred) exposure automation makes a 6X6 a much handier machine. I owned a Hasselblad 500C/M simultaneously, but horse-traded it for a pistol, liking the Bronica so much more. You can read my comparison of the two cameras here >>> Bronica versus Hasselblad.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Phigmov,

You are right about choosing an S2a rather than an S2! The transmission gears are much stronger. You might also consider an EC or (better yet) an EC-TL. I had an EC-TL for years - it was a terrific camera and having built-in (aperture preferred) exposure automation makes a 6X6 a much handier machine. I owned a Hasselblad 501C/M simultaneously, but horse-traded it for a pistol, liking the Bronica so much more. You can read my comparison of the two cameras here >>> Bronica versus Hasselblad.pdf

Thanks for your feedback @docfox - I ended up acquiring an EC which sadly appears to have a shutter fault of some kind - it only seems to fire intermittantly - actually not a fatal flaw if you're on a tripod and have film to burn. It didn't satisfy my Bronica itch and soon after I picked up an earlier S which is fully manual and works fine. I'm just waiting to see the pictures from it - just need to get rid of some remaining shots on a couple of 35mm cameras to justify sending a load off to be developed.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the Bronica C (non-removable back) and cheap SQ (although still a little wary of aging electronics!) as I really enjoy 6x6 - Japan sure knew how to build cameras back then. Lovely bodies.

You are right about choosing an S2a rather than an S2! The transmission gears are much stronger. You might also consider an EC or (better yet) an EC-TL. I had an EC-TL for years - it was a terrific camera and having built-in (aperture preferred) exposure automation makes a 6X6 a much handier machine. I owned a Hasselblad 501C/M simultaneously, but horse-traded it for a pistol, liking the Bronica so much more. You can read my comparison of the two cameras here >>> Bronica versus Hasselblad.pdf[/QUOTE]

So what kind of pistol did you get?

Jim - The Hasselblad was swapped for a like-new 1986 Browning Hi-power (original) Sports model. This is a classic 1935 John Moses Browning and Dieudonné Joseph Saive design finely crafted by Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal (FN) in Belgium.
cocked.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
left down.jpg
foam open.jpg
Outside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! I have a similar model, post war, that accompanies me on all my trips to the "wilds" of a local big city. I also take it to the range quite often to keep my skills up.

Ok, old thread but given that it has been revived I can comment since I've in the mean time purchased a (couple) Bronica S2A.

I have to much cameras at the moment, one of the very few I never even think about selling is the S2A. I believe this says it all. I've only found a couple down sides, one is well know and is the weight (on a daily basis a carry a Rolleicord, only use the Bronica on weekends) and the other is that lenses are very hard to clean and also because of this, a bit more difficult to buy. S2A instead of S2 for sure, due to more reliable internals.

Vs an Hasselblad, I find the Bronicas more sturdy and the backs can be had for a fraction of an Hassy one. Having 1/1000 is also an advantage. I find the focusing quite easy with the standard screen and can be focused much closer on a Bronica. The lenses are not Zeiss, but I really like the Nikkor standard lens, even if I only have the -P with is not the best version. The Nikkor 50mm f/3.5 is also very good and cheap, not to mention that I bought a 150mm f/3.5 for about 50 Eur. I also find the more boxy format of the Bronica easier to transport.

Edit: at some point I'll probably buy an EC-TL, but would keep the S2A for mechanical reliability.

Back