Fuji Only 2 Lenses to choose

I bought the 18 used so it wasn't so bad of a price hit. Wound up selling it due to the 18-55 being a bit sharper and more useful of a lens for my needs. At this point a version 2 is very highly likely and should be a really good lens. It would be great if Fuji came out with a 16mm f2 the size of the 18mm. That would give you a little more difference from the 23mm.

There is definitely an art to using ultra wide lenses. Especially for all subjects which are not landscapes. But ultra wide lenses can make great images when one learns their lens of choice.

I think (as you say), a lot depends on the scene

So this is from the 35

33221880492_915184bd58_k.jpg
Hanging the Line
by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Had I used the 18, I think I could of got the visual impact a lot greater with so much more in the frame.

But I also know that I'd have given myself a veritable nightmare with the verticals and diagonals

This one is the 27

32841557630_2f268167cd_k.jpg
Hazy Beautiful Porto Light
by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

I'd have had no drama using the 18 here as everything is far away, but that was a 27 day :)

When I do use the 18 it's great if I'm far enough way, and I like it

30487407795_06f90a3604_k.jpg
Empty Matosinhos
by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

But for a lot of what I do... I'm in this geometrically complicated urban environment with so many different buildings that are different shapes and sizes plus its very hilly here and it just seems to punish my lack of wide usage discipline

I've got a shot I'm quite happy with, in front of a church with about 3 layers of people leaving, going into and ignoring the church, street guy heaven :)

But the church is on a hill and goes round a corner, and I've never got it too look right, by the time it even gets close, I'm starting to crop feet!!

And in case anyone is wondering (and probably not, this forum is full of very well informed people, plus me) the issue for me, is the field curvature inherent in a 18mm lens, it's not a problem with distortion (which is software corrected on the 18) it's just that 18 is damn wide... dont matter what equivalent FL length it is, it's a wide angle... you could put an 18 on m43 and it might give a 35(ish) FOV, but it's still an 18mm optic, one with field curvature!

Is it just me? Or am I totally hijacking this thread? Apologies :(

Not hijacking at all. This thread is generating some great discussions.

Sounds like you have worked out which lenses work best for you in various circumstances. Which is great. I still fight this instinctual urge to get a prime set. Until last year I always shot with primes. Now the 2.8 zooms are working best for my shooting. But every time talk about the 16mm or 56mm comes up, I have to fight the urge to jump on fred miranda and hunt down primes :D

That would be a good thing, Bobby. I like to shoot waterfalls and stream-side landscapes, but I really don't like carrying larger lenses, especially when I'm on my bike. I've considered the current 18mm, but it still carries a premium price for a lens that has been panned by a number of people.
I wouldn't be too concerned about that, Tony. I'm on my third copy of the 18mm, the first two suffered from decentering but this one is just fine and sits on my X-Pro1 most of the time.
It has excellent colors, contrast and micro-contrast, even wide open and I've never had any issues with the sharpness or lack thereof like some other folks and that includes corner performance. To me the major two drawbacks of this lens are the field curvature and the need to have a close eye at what is actually in focus, especially in the borders/corners (focus peaking helps a great deal) and that it's somehow prone to flare if you shoot directly into strong light sources. Regarding the price you can sometimes get them used for as little as 200€ over here, and in case you don't like it you could probably sell it at little or no loss.

I had another go at that shot I mentioned above...

It's a bit better than my first goes.... But I don't like the shot as much as I remember liking it when I took it!

Ce la ve !!

XPR27908.SP8rz.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It has excellent colors, contrast and micro-contrast, even wide open and I've never had any issues with the sharpness or lack thereof like some other folks and that includes corner performance.

^.....this be the truth. It's not the sharpest knife in Fuji's draw, but even on the 24mp X-TransIII cameras I think it does OK

I'd also like to add it's a zone focusing delight

To me the major two drawbacks of this lens are the field curvature and the need to have a close eye at what is actually in focus, especially in the borders/corners (focus peaking helps a great deal)

Seeing as it's Sunday, and I just posted a shot with a Church in it.... I have to say

Amen to that brother :)

... only 2 lenses to choose?
1855 or 18/2 + 35/1.4 or 45/2 Contax G or any of my remaining not too clinical nifty 50s

Ken, that image in #67 is quite nice. With that sort of IQ, I question why some of the comments I've read about the 18mm f/2 have been so harsh. I don't pixel peep, and corner sharpness is not something that concerns me. I did see a review a few days ago that was quite positive. Could there be that much variation between copies?

Ken, that image in #67 is quite nice. With that sort of IQ, I question why some of the comments I've read about the 18mm f/2 have been so harsh. I don't pixel peep, and corner sharpness is not something that concerns me. I did see a review a few days ago that was quite positive. Could there be that much variation between copies?

Becuase IMO many people do pixel peep, but more than that... fuji released the 18/35/60 at the same time, the 35/60 are very sharp, the 18 less so...

Reviewers noted this fact, then people started to parrot it as a terrible thing, also the 18-55 is sharper at 18 than the 18mm so it passed into folklore that the 18 is a crap lens

It's not.

Well, my flip the 18 and 27 to help pay for the 23/1.4 plan has gained momentum

The 23 is waiting for me at my UK address and the 18 sold within 2 hours of being listed on eBay

So I'm a bit screwed if I've made a terrible mistake...

As I've said my first two copes left a bit to be desired, my current 18 sure isn't the sharpest lens there is either but it's no slouch and sharp enough for 99.99% of what I shoot :) . The 1855 is even sharper at 18mm, especially stopped down but the field curvature is even more pronounced on that lens.
Here's an uncropped shot from last month, shot at f9 and converted in LR4.4 (of all converters) on my laptop. Again, you need to be aware of the field curvature and in order to get everything in focus, including borders/corners I use MF with focus peaking, no big deal, especially for landscapes.

XPRO0008-LR-1k6.jpg

100% crop

XPRO0008-LR-crop.jpg

Sharp enough? If you need some more resolution you could use Iridient X Transformer but I'm OK with Lightroom 4.4 or 5.7 as long as i don't need to print large.

Here's a 100% crop from an image taken with the 1855 @18mm/f9, converted in LR 4.4, focus on the numbers:

XPRO3076-LR-crop.jpg

Thanks Mike... in an ideal world, I'd just own all the lenses :D

Still debating if I'd rather have the 56 than the 60... but that's not such a clear cut decision

I appreciate the 56 is a better bit of glass, but the 60 is very good, plenty sharp and close focuses. F2.4 isn't slow in light. And the exta 4mm of subject compression plus the extra aperture blades give a nice OOF rendering

Let's see if a 56 presents itself at a resonable price and see if that quides my hand...

(Today's post has been sponsored by GAS :D)

Well, my flip the 18 and 27 to help pay for the 23/1.4 plan has gained momentum

The 23 is waiting for me at my UK address and the 18 sold within 2 hours of being listed on eBay

So I'm a bit screwed if I've made a terrible mistake...

I've had the 23/1.4 for a while, terrific lens but a bit on the large side. Back in the day I've travelled for years with nothing but an 35/2 Nikkor on my F3 but these days I prefer the flexibility of the 1855 for an all-day walkaround lens. I somehow miss the 23 and my X100t though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I've said my first two copes left a bit to be desired, my current 18 sure isn't the sharpest lens there is either but it's no slouch and sharp enough for 99.99% of what I shoot :) . The 1855 is even sharper at 18mm, especially stopped down but the field curvature is even more pronounced on that lens.
Here's an uncropped shot from last month, shot at f9 and converted in LR4.4 (of all converters) on my laptop. Again, you need to be aware of the field curvature and in order to get everything in focus, including borders/corners I use MF with focus peaking, no big deal, especially for landscapes.
Those are nice, plenty nice enough for my needs. MF with focus peaking is my normal operating mode, so no problem there. I just rented a 23mm WR to try for a week. If I like it, that will probably be my next lens. I'm torn over getting an 18mm f/2, or waiting to see if Fuji really does come out with an 18mm f/2 WR.

I've sold off several lenses or cameras from my leftover stock recently, so I treated myself to an 18mm F/2 WR . . . . errrr, that last part was a bit of wishful thinking. :D I found one in like new condition for a good price, so it's on its way to me. I have been pleased with the IQ of the Tokina 17mm/3.5, but the size is not convenient for carrying on my bicycle with the X-T1. I have a small Lowepro Apex 100 AW that should hold the X-T1 with the 18mm mounted, and I can strap that to the bike.

I've been working toward a single camera/lens combo for a while. I had strongly considered making that camera the X30, but as much as I liked the camera, it didn't quite cut it in low light. I'm hoping the X-T1 + 18mm will be a good carry combination, especially when I'm out biking. When I want a bit more reach, I'll use the Pentax 50mm/1.4 I'm keeping. My camera shelves and bags are nearly empty now. Don't ever again want to go through the buying/selling frenzy I experienced over the past few years.

One of them would certainly be the Fuji 16mm. It can relate landscapes and many things so well, with little effort.

1216.jpg

I also enjoy the little 35mm F / 2.0

400 fuji.jpg

Adam, I'm sure you will not be disappointed and most assuredly not a mistake!:bravo-009:

Well the 'deed' is truly done...

Gone are the 18 and 27

Been shooting the 23, very, very happy with it.

Well that MF collar thing is a bit... twee (for how I work 99% manual focus, obv YMMV) but it's not a big issue for me in usage

I also ended up buying the square hood for the xf23, which I thought was very expensive, but it's lovely so I don't care!

I also convinced myself that the Samyang 50 f1.2 was in my future, like the amount of time it takes to get delivered in my future... but I couldn't find stock at non silly prices... then a secondhand 56 came along... and well...

Let's just say I'm a happy man... although we might be forced to eat our daughter as a cheap alternative to turkey next Christmas (which would have the added bonus of reducing the present budget too)

:D

Seriously though, IMHO you always know when you've done ok, when the moment you start using the things that you agonised about spending the money on, you stop thinking about what they cost and just like using them. This has been my 23 experience so far!

So on that note, here's 3 23 shots!

33667477351_230ba6f0e4_z.jpg
The Graveyard Corner
by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

33872091495_7d3669e6ae_z.jpg
Under the Tracks
by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

33612854010_e723b5f559_z.jpg
The Dude
by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Back