Olympus Olympus Stylus 1

serhan

Hall of Famer
It looks like OMD dslr form is getting popular. After A7 OMD clone, now Olympus Stylus 1 is coming on Oct 29 w/ 1,7 inch sensor and a 24-300mm zoom lens, but it is not cheap as the price is 70,000 YEN (around 500 Euro or $700).:
(FT5) First images of the Olympus Stylus 1 (the mini OMD) - 43 Rumors

olympus_stylus1_f001_zpsaf6810f7.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

olympus_stylus1_b001_zpsefe87a83.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There are now so many cool compact, fixed-lens, cameras coming out that I am tempted to sell off all of my Pentax and micro four-thirds gear, and buy a slew of the new cameras. A different one for each situation and application. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Seriously, if this new Oly has weather resistance and a reasonably fast lens (say, you're still at f/2.8 when you're as far out as 90mm equivalent), I'd be interested. My old Canon S3 IS had a focal range of 36-432mm and a maximum aperture range of f/2.7-3.5.

Small sensor compared to the latest and greatest? Sure, but I've gotten tons of great shots with cameras that have 1/1.7" sensors. Maybe phase detection auto-focus on the sensor? Tell me you wouldn't mind taking this camera on a trip if it had all of my requirements above.

For this price I expect a fast lens for 1/1.7"inch sensor and weather proof body but we'll see... Olympus has the perfect range and hopefully not as big as RX10.

I see that expensive RX10 is selling number 2 in Amazon list, so there is still a demand for high IQ P&S... That is what Sony was saying with their presentations about RX1 and RX100...

Amazon Best Sellers: Best Mirrorless Cameras

Strangely, I actually am excited about checking one of these out! f2.8 at 300mm is pretty awesome (assuming that the IQ is not a messy mush at f2.8). Plus, the lens barrel doesn't become a honking telescope of the size of the Hubble at 300mm. The EVF seems pretty decent, and the camera offers plenty of enthusiast level controls.

Carry one of these and a Sony A7R + 35/2.8, and I could be pretty happy!!*

* until the next great camera. :)

Or then maybe not ... this camera is not pocketable. May just go with a LF1.

It looks like a terrific camera. The RX10 seems to offer about a stop better performance over the Stylus 1 at high ISOs, according to Ephotozine. But, at half the price for the Oly, I can live with that.

For me, the issue with the better small-sensor cameras is not noise or resolution, but the crunchiness of the files.

Then again, the only "enthusiast" small-sensor cams I've had were the Panny LX5 & LX7. Perhaps the Oly is more forgiving.

For less than the Oly Stylus 1, you can buy a Panny G5 w/kit lens + 45-150mm lens. Obviously, the Panny kit is larger, but jus' sayin'...

For me, the issue with the better small-sensor cameras is not noise or resolution, but the crunchiness of the files.

Then again, the only "enthusiast" small-sensor cams I've had were the Panny LX5 & LX7. Perhaps the Oly is more forgiving.

For less than the Oly Stylus 1, you can buy a Panny G5 w/kit lens + 45-150mm lens. Obviously, the Panny kit is larger, but jus' sayin'...

You're right. For me, the Stylus 1 would be a travel/vacation camera.

Back