Superzoom Olympus SP-820UZ Ultra Zoom announced

that is an impressive range if it delivers on image quality. Just had a quick look at specs, it does not appear to have a filter thread. Why do manufacturers provide models like these without the capacity to use filters.

it really does remove models from consideration by serious enthusiasts. If they are trying to market to the serious enthusiast, they really need to focus on what features this group require.

Somewhere, people must buy enough Olympus superzooms to justify the company's decision to continue making them. But I don't know where. At any rate, these cameras are clearly not for photo enthusiasts. As others have already pointed out: no viewfinder, no raw, no 3:2 aspect ratio option, etc.

I don't use RAW (except for the occasional difficult light shot) and no viewfinder is a bummer but not a deal breaker for me. It wouldn't be my only camera. But I can definitely see a use for one of these types of pocket rockets....even if it isn't his particular one.

I can't believe someone with 6 cameras in their signature can't find room for one more ;)

And I'm pretty sure it's not meant for "serious enthusiasts" or whatever we nutjob camera hoarders are calling ourselves, because on the mode dial there are modes labeled (and I'm being 100% serious here)...."Reality" and "Magic". I'd just set that thing on Magic and let it rip!

Oh, I'm not against the idea of a compact travel superzoom, either. You can see I have a Canon SX230. But it seems like Olympus's competition in that market space is well ahead of it. But I'm guessing it's not costing Olympus much to do. I'm sure they don't even make that kind of camera - it probably comes from a third-party OEM like Flextronics. I think Olympus makes everything from the Tough series and XZ-1 on up.

P.S. Always go for the "Magic" setting... "Reality" is for people who can't handle drugs... :D

Back