Micro 4/3 olympus software update advice sought

rbelyell

All-Pro
hi

i just received a vf4 and needed to update my epl5 to latest firmware so they could play together. i put the oly 45/1.8 on it and hooked it all up and the oly software updater said both cam and lens needed update. i hit ok and its been updating now for well over 30 minutes!

is this supposed to take this long? the little dialogue box saying 'firmware is updating etc' is there and the little light keeps whiring around the circle inside the dialogue box, leading me to think operations are ongoing, but...

thanks. i ended up disconnecting after an hour, taking off the 45/1.8 lens and the vf4 and starting over again with just the body, aside from this 'spinning' light circle in the dialogue box, is there any way to see the progress of the download? are there any in camera settings i need to mind before starting this process?

I don't think so. From what I remember, I downloaded the updater from the Olympus web site, connected my camera via USB, ran the updater, and a minute or two later it was done. I don't recall seeing anything that indicated the progress of the update. I did it shortly after I received the camera, so all my menu settings were at default.

i am a dope! on re reading instructions for the umpteenth time i finally saw the proviso to 'remove media card from camera'. hooboy!

note to self: temper your rants on the present state of education compared to the one i received!

thanks for your help.

Back