Micro 4/3 Olympus Pen-F announcement v.soon.

i dont think that lens on the new Pen is crazy, i think that lens in m4/3 is crazy. its not the 'rf' style of the camera that makes it silly, its the size of the lens in an objective sense in that most 'compact' format.
I don't get this. It's far smaller than a similarly spec'd zoom for APS or full frame. I wouldn't personally use a full frame 24-70 or 70-200 (the f2.8 versions) due to size, but I'd happily use the 12-40 and/or 35-100 on an m43 body due to its much smaller size. It's big compared to small m43 primes, but it's still a really reasonable sized lens IMHO.

And, after all, it's optional equipment - only offered for those who want it and aren't offended by its heft. I get why you might not want one and why I'd only want one for occasional use, but I also get why it would be a mainstay for those who like zoom shooting and who's alternatives would be either a substantially larger lens or a substantially smaller sensor... M43 isn't the same thing for all who choose it...

-Ray

On a side note: I won't try any retribution for most probably being called a "lemming" because that remark actually came from a staff member. I'd just like to ask for more consideration. I like it here, but I can easily do without being attacked personally for my own decisions and preferences, thank you very much. And as a result, as sad as it is, I'm out of this thread - as I was silently out of those on mu43.

Please, Matt, don't take things too seriously. If anything, Luke, who has bought, sold, and sometimes rebought and resold every camera system known to mankind and other species, is probably giving a lighthearted comment on his own past behavior on the camera replacement treadmill. At least, I took it as such. In his opinion I, as an early adopter, will probably overspend in acquiring this camera. Since it is the camera I've been waiting for for quite a while, and I have some lovely lenses that hardly get any use while they wait for this camera (12, 17, 45, 75), this body to me is worth every Euro of the SRP. Could I get similar results with my existing cameras? Probably. But still I'm looking forward in spending my hard earned Euros.

Marlof, you are right on the money. I would never insult someone for their choice of gear. I was merely suggesting that by constantly chasing the next new camera in hopes that it will make one a better photographer wasn't a good idea.

Since I've sworn off buying new gear, I'm probably a bit like the irritating guy who quits smoking and begins constantly nagging those around him that still smoke.

I won't be that guy, and I have sent an apology to Matero so that he understands what my intentions were. I'll just shut up now. And here's a warning for myself..... :warning:

Marlof, you are right on the money. I would never insult someone for their choice of gear. I was merely suggesting that by constantly chasing the next new camera in hopes that it will make one a better photographer wasn't a good idea.
A lot of us chase (or previously chased) the next new camera(s), but without ANY expectation or hope that it would "make one a better photographer". I'm not doing it for the moment and like to think I won't go back into that mode, but I surely spent plenty of time (and money) chasing new gear, but it was never about any expectation of it making me any better. There were occasions where I saw a feature or two that might make my life a bit easier and might, therefore, result in a somewhat higher percentage of keepers, but that's not to say my best images would be any better, just that I might have a few more good enough ones to pick from to determine what my best were. But mostly it was just the sheer joy of checking out new technology, enjoying the new gear. And in a limited way, if the new gear made me want to go shoot more (which it invariably did - nobody buys a new toy NOT to play with it!), THAT might, over time, make me a better photographer.

I feel the same way about camera gear as I once felt about bike gear and guitars. The gear and what you DO with the gear were two separate hobbies. Related, to be sure, and you probably wouldn't have one without the other. Usually it was be the love of the activity driving the gear but I'm sure it sometimes slipped into the opposite relationship for a while - either way, it helped motivate... I never thought a new guitar was gonna make me a better guitarist (well, I was young enough that I might have had such illusions for about one guitar, but was disabused of that illusion quickly) or that a new bike was gonna make me a better/faster/stronger rider. But each new tool brought a somewhat different experience to the underlying activity and that was all good and allowed me to enjoy both the gear and the activity more, both separately and together...

Gear is cool. I'm not driven to check out much new stuff these days (except for cool old and cheap lenses for my Nikon), but I almost miss that level of involvement...

-Ray

I don't get this. It's far smaller than a similarly spec'd zoom for APS or full frame. I wouldn't personally use a full frame 24-70 or 70-200 (the f2.8 versions) due to size, but I'd happily use the 12-40 and/or 35-100 on an m43 body due to its much smaller size. It's big compared to small m43 primes, but it's still a really reasonable sized lens IMHO.

And, after all, it's optional equipment - only offered for those who want it and aren't offended by its heft. I get why you might not want one and why I'd only want one for occasional use, but I also get why it would be a mainstay for those who like zoom shooting and who's alternatives would be either a substantially larger lens or a substantially smaller sensor... M43 isn't the same thing for all who choose it...

-Ray
i was commenting on two other posts, which both raised the issue and used the terminology i quoted. actually the term they both used was 'ridiculous'. those posts seemed to hold the camera accountable for the camera/lens proportion issue. i merely shifted the blame to the lens where imo it belongs. thats all. not telling anyone what to do or buy, just commenting on points made by others. perhaps your quarrel is with the folks who raised the issue initially. as this is a thread about the new Pen, i couldnt care less about this lens, though it and other of the 'pro' line are imo out of whack size wise with the compact nature of m4/3. i stress IMO. other views may rightly vary.

Last edited:
Please, Matt, don't take things too seriously. If anything, Luke, who has bought, sold, and sometimes rebought and resold every camera system known to mankind and other species, is probably giving a lighthearted comment on his own past behavior on the camera replacement treadmill. At least, I took it as such. In his opinion I, as an early adopter, will probably overspend in acquiring this camera. Since it is the camera I've been waiting for for quite a while, and I have some lovely lenses that hardly get any use while they wait for this camera (12, 17, 45, 75), this body to me is worth every Euro of the SRP. Could I get similar results with my existing cameras? Probably. But still I'm looking forward in spending my hard earned Euros.
It's cleared up - we have talked it over. I won't reiterate, but I will say here that I'm aware that I overreacted.

You're expressing more or less what I tried to convey in my posts above. Thanks for that.

M.

Gear is cool. I'm not driven to check out much new stuff these days (except for cool old and cheap lenses for my Nikon), but I almost miss that level of involvement...

There was so much new a few years ago. If you can remember -- mirrorless was UNHEARD of in, what, 2008/9? Mirrorless was Leica. I was shooting a Canon G9 and switch over to a Rebel XTi when the Oly EP1 caught my eye. Who cared about slow focus!! And a collapsible lens!!!!

All the systems are pretty solid now -- it's about knowing what you shoot more than chasing gear (at least mostly, but for some folks there are some odds and ends they need).

I was always put off by the size of the O12-40 but finally got a refurb/20% one during one of Olympus' fire sales. I must admit it fits well on the EM1 and while not "pocketable" it's hardly a large kit. The 12-40 is actually remarkably small considering what it is. Would I have preferred a smaller high quality f4 version? Probably, but I understand why it's hard for Olympus to make that. From what I've seen, they made the right choice.

Last edited:
Haha, I must be the only one who didn't like the 12-40 because it was too small :)
(well, it was not the main reason, but it was one of them)
My current carry solution of choice is the UltralightCameraCover, and the Oly 12-40 is not long enough to work well with it. The 12-60 is front-heavier and works a treat.

It takes all sorts I guess :D

(and yes, the 12-60 would be too unwieldy on any other camera than the E-M1 :) )

On the 12-40mm: After having used this lens as my main :mu43: lens for more than a year, I have to simply disagree. For a zoom of its size and quality, it's very compact, and it delivers. I do like shooting with the small primes, and the small size of the system was what attracted me in the first place. What kept me there (until now, even though I'm back into DSLR photography big time) was its usability and performance. You can go on thrashing the 12-40mm all you like - it's still a fantastic lens for those who happen to like it. Not everything is for everyone - which is actually a blessing.

On a side note: I won't try any retribution for most probably being called a "lemming" because that remark actually came from a staff member. I'd just like to ask for more consideration. I like it here, but I can easily do without being attacked personally for my own decisions and preferences, thank you very much. And as a result, as sad as it is, I'm out of this thread - as I was silently out of those on mu43.

M.

Matt, I don't think anyone is attacking you. I believe the lemmings remark had more to do with people with bad cases of GAS overpaying for the latest and greatest. Hey, I get GAS too. But I waited until the E-P5 was being closed out at $399 before I bought one. On the other hand, I was an early buyer of the Panasonic LX100.

As for both the Pen F and the 12-40mm, I like both. I just find putting that lens on that body to be an ergonomic and handling mismatch. The 12-40, to my mind, is an E-M1 lens. I thought if Olympus is trying to promote the Pen F, they'd have the 12mm or 17mm on it for marketing purposes.

But all this is just me.

I usually live a generation or two behind and buy refurb/sale items. One of the few exceptions was the new EM5 II, which was somewhat of an impulse buy but which I like very much.

I would never insult someone for their choice of gear.
8e924060aa5c8a18358ddeab8c5e5bc5.jpg

Bacon Magic Disposable Camera - puts images of bacon into every photo you take.
:whistle:

I see this camera, and think: I want this one.
I see the specs, and have some doubts about their usefulness to me, but think: I want this one.
I see the price, which is higher than I would have wanted, but think: I want this one.
I see the initial previews and reviews, and learn about some glitches, but think: I want this one.
I'm rationalizing my thinking by stating that this is the type of camera my 12, 17, 45 and 75 were made for.
But I guess I'm not objective: I simply want this one.

I'm tempted for this new Olympus. I've kept, don't know why, best of the Olympus glasses and PEN E-P5 with me. Though, I never use it nowadays :)

But as said, I'm tempted now to get this new PEN F for the lenses I have. Why, the aesthetics of that camera turns me on. I don't use my PEN E-P5 because of the extra EVF on top of it. And couple of other minor reasons.

Then I thought again, critically, my GAS. And how I've already recovered almost totally of it. Just using X-T1 and X100S and concentrating on photography itself more than gear. And I realized, Olympus still has this PASM dial, not my cup of tea, thank you. And how I've slowly learned how to use my Fuji gear, X-T1 and X100S.

In the end, I'll probably sell the Olympus gear for good. Nonsense to keep it in the drawer to gain dust. I'm sure it will give more pleasure to other owner. (And I can invest on XF56mm, hah)

I have just got a price from my boss so I'll be ordering mine tomorrow, Silver with the black 17mm f1.8. This camera will sit nicely in my lineup which is missing such a beast. I don't see this as GAS but as a camera that will be used a lot and will fit in with what I do most.

Theres a good in depth video explaining the front dial here:

Last edited:
After buying and selling nearly every camera made during the last few years, I've finally realized that while some people seem to think that they are all WILDLY different (and those differences are incredibly :rofl: important to creating better photographs), they are all actually nearly exactly the same.

I fear I'm turning into the old curmudgeon

First, Luke, you curmudge with skill (likewise, you should geeze with pride).

I mostly agree with you about a new camera not making anyone a better photographer. Some offer specific technical advantages (constant f.2.8 24-600mm, very fast wide angle lens, etc.)

The OMD EM5, however, surprised me. Picked up as a refurb (at 38% of SRP), it seems to have a different "sensor palette" than my Panasonics. My wife looked at a sunrise I took yesterday and said: "It's lovely; it's different somehow from the others you usually take. Did you fiddle it with software?" Nope -- it was SOOC. Somehow it sees the skies closer to what my eye sees, and that encourages me to do more of what I already love doing . . . trying to capture the grandeur of the skies.

FWIW.

Cheers, Jock

Hmm, just saw some of the DPR preview. Fully articulated screen instead of a flip screen - that alone is a non-starter for me. And Oly (and Pany) still use auto ISO setups without any sort of shutter speed control, which is absolutely a non-starter to me. Not to mention a front dial that ONLY works to choose jpeg art filters? I'm not interested in going back to m43 anyway, but I love seeing advances in these cameras and, at some point, even these smaller sensors are probably gonna be soooooo good, but this camera does nothing for me except look pretty. And that's never been enough unless it had a lot of other great stuff going on - this one doesn't push any of my personal buttons...

-Ray

A few years back I bought an earlier model Pen as my 1st adventure away from a traditional DSLR. I was quite taken with the feel and style but after a few months of use I determined I can't live without a built in view finder. When the OMD EM-5 came out I sold the Pen and bought an EM 5. I've been very pleased using it as an urban exploration / street shooter. With the new Pen i'm a bit attracted to the 1/8000 and E shutter capability. I have a mild attraction to the hi res mode. I could have used that a few times at Yosemite earlier this year. And I have significant drool over the style. I have to upgrade my computer, still running Windows Vista lol, before buying another camera. But this one does the siren thing on me, a little, well maybe slightly more than a little.:blush:

Theres a good in depth video explaining the front dial here:
I watched that video and found it informative, but about halfway through I felt like that kid in the Gary Larson 'Far Side' cartoon who asks the teacher to stop the lecture because his brain is full.

Am I missing something, or could you make all of those colour processing choices by working with the RAW file in post? I think I'd prefer that to making all those menu settings on the camera.

They rather glossed over the new sensor and the EVF, which to me are the most interesting aspects of this new Pen.

-R

Back