Micro 4/3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Retro OVF (or a slow Sunday afternoon...)

wolfie

Veteran
Found an old Yashica OVF for a film rangefinder - the black and chrome exactly harmonizes with the black E-P3 livery ...
IMG_1678bw.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_1684bw.jpg

IMG_1688sml-bw.jpg

IMG_1670bw.jpg

The marked views are not especially useful - approx 20 & 40 (M43 format) which doesnot help with the 14-42 zoom, but sure looks cool anyway!:tongue:

Sorry one more
P8140687sml.jpg

This brings back memories. I actually had the set with this viewfinder and the auxiliary wide angle and telephoto lenses for a Yashica MG-1 when I was 11 years old. The funny thing is that, if memory serves me right, the wide angle lens brought the focal length from the 45mm normal to about 37mm, while the telephoto increased it to 65mm. Not terribly useful, as I recall.

Cheers,

Antonio

This brings back memories. I actually had the set with this viewfinder and the auxiliary wide angle and telephoto lenses for a Yashica MG-1 when I was 11 years old. The funny thing is that, if memory serves me right, the wide angle lens brought the focal length from the 45mm normal to about 37mm, while the telephoto increased it to 65mm. Not terribly useful, as I recall.

Cheers,

Antonio

You are right on the money AJ - I've got the wide and tele lens set in the leather case - don't know who gave them to me years ago. Pity the aux lenses are so big and heavey!

That's one way that will work. If you take your time ad adjust the lens to the finder at different distances, it would be very accurate. More accurate that a dedicated prime lens/finder kit.

BTW this viewfinder is not a bad match for the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. It's not exact, offers no parallax correction, and doesn't have 4:3 aspect ratio. But it's fun to use- it's bright and clear, and the viewfinder image is life-sized. So you can use this finder with both eyes open (which I like.)

The wide and tele adapters it comes with may perform decently on Micro 4/3 as well. If you get the finder you may as well play with the adapters it comes with. ;)

Bumping an old thread, I just discovered that the tele frameline is actually a very good match for the Oly 45mm f/1.8! (I think it's a closer match than the 20mm is to the wide framelines.)

Back