Micro 4/3 Olympus OM-D - A new camera!!

I can definitely see the the positive influence fuji has had on other camera makers, hopefully Olympus will take note of ricoh's user interface aswell. Right now i'm going between a nikon d90 aps-c and ricoh GRD and would be willing scrap both of those to move down to m43 if they took a few design decisions in the right direction.

I've never seen this discussed before but it seems that a 3''lcd screen has become the standard for all digital camera's. Would anyone be interested in moving down to a 2'' screen if it meant having a built in viewfinder that wouldn't bulge out allowing for a size more like the gx1 rather than GH2. The Sony NEX7 seems to be the same size as a GX1, has a built in viewfinder and even squeezed in a flash so the possiblity for olympus to do the same is there. It may be more of a rangefinder layout than a OMdesign but a center bulge would make it just as uninteresting as the GH2. The GX1 with the 20mm1.7 i can squeeze into a jacket/cargo pocket that just isn't happening with a GH2, it needs to be truely compact or else m43 has no real interest to me over a nikon DSLR.

I use the LCD for menus and for checking critical focus. For the former, the size is not as important, for the latter, I need resolution more than size, so if the trade-off was smaller LCD for compact VF, I'd do that, but I'm not sure that is a direct trade-off.

The GX1 with the 20mm1.7 i can squeeze into a jacket/cargo pocket that just isn't happening with a GH2, it needs to be truely compact or else m43 has no real interest to me over a nikon DSLR.

I am sure a lot of people approach it the same way.

For me it revolves around the meaning of 'truly compact': I find even the GH2 and a few lenses to be significantly more compact, and portable, than a more traditional DSLR. I bet this camera is smaller than a GH2.

Apparently...
1) It has an OM look
2) Built-in 1.44 dots integrated viewfinder
3) New in body stabilization and AF system
4) Comes in Black and Silver
5) Weather sealed magnesium body
6) 16 megapixel sensor
7) Width 121mm, weighs 425g

I see all these requests for a weather sealed mft body. Now to those who ask for it, could you please share some work of yours which required the use of weather sealed cameras and lenses? Weather sealing sounds great, but it adds cost, weight and bulk.

I'm not big on weatherseal, at least from the waterproof standpoint. Personally, I can see advantages of a dustproof system. But I guess I don't tend to venture out enough for photo excursions whenever it's raining.

I see all these requests for a weather sealed mft body. No to those who ask for it, could you please share some work of yours which required the use of weather sealed cameras and lenses? Weather sealing sounds great, but it adds cost, weight and bulk.

In a normal year, here in the SF Bay area it rains much of the winter and into the spring, and that is my favorite season to photograph.

Also adding to the cost are things like seaside photography or photographing in the rain without a weather sealed camera & lens. While there are some good weather pouches out there, they are not a substitute for a well designed weather sealed camera.
Agreed! I've often looked at those raincoat affairs, thinking it wouldnt matter what kind of camera one had but in the end, decided it was just too complicated. I'm happy with my K-5 and WR lenses, and will soon be acquiring a couple of DA* lenses which I believe are really well sealed (the WR are resistant, rather than sealed... and it works... I;ve had them out in the rain and no probs). also, the K-5 really isnt that heavy... only 790g IIRC, without lenses.

I see all these requests for a weather sealed mft body. Now to those who ask for it, could you please share some work of yours which required the use of weather sealed cameras and lenses? .

As I don't have a weathersealed camera, I can't ... the request is rather a difficult one for anybody who hasn't got one ... but as someone who nearly lost a camera to fluid
ingress and only recovered it at considerable expense, I know its value.

I live in a country where the weather is frequently wet, and I rarely take my camera outside if it's raining, despite often seeing situations where I'd like to be able to use it.

Shooting with my E-P2 in a heavy rainstorm would pretty rapidly lead to a dead and useless camera

Weatherproofing is like insurance!

It's only when trouble hits you appreciate having it.

I have destroyed five Canon Powershots: A420, A430, A450, A95, G10, as well as two DSLRs Pentax K7 and an Olympus E-1 (my fault). I really appreciate WR construction!

WR is essential for winter soccer games in heavey rain, at windy beaches with air borne dust and sand, when wading beaches with wave splashes or fish slime when fishing.

I only tolerate my E-P3 because I can stick in it a relatively cheap dicapac submersible bag. Waterproof housings are not designed for out-of-water use, too bulky and weigh too much. Olympus WR for DSLR and lenses is even more highly rated than Pentax's - and seems to have better longevity from my experience.

So for me, active outdoors activities demand WR bodies and lenses - frankly I'd like a "toughened" M4/3 formatted fixed lens (a la Canon G1 X) than could handle even only 1-2 m underwater so you could take it anywhere, anytime.

Weathersealed is must, otherwise atleast am not upgrading to it, am very happy with GH1 ( i know its old ) but it does everything i want. EVF, great sensor, great lcd, great video and awesome handeling. With 20mm it goes into my jacket pocket too and it got all the controls on the right place, just like you would expect from a big FF body.

Now OM-D for me should have:
- Tilt LCD, really guys its quicker to deal with it then full turn and swival. ok I wont see myself in it, but for the rest of the world its easier if they wont see me looking into an LCD opened next to the camera. Tilt LCD like E-PL3 or Sony NEX is all you want for a stealth photographer, taking candids on the street.
- Weathersealed and good looking retro body
- Bigger grip, E-PL1 I love it, but grip is not as comfy as GH1.
- EVF. I can live without it if LCD is bright and cop well with sunny days.
- Sensor with better DR and better higher ISO performance. I don't mind Mega pixels. They can reduce it to 10, its still good enough. Come on guys Nikon FF D700, D3, D3S all are 12MP with roughly 4 times bigger sensor areas. Why we compact camera lovers are pushing so much on higher resolution sensor, when we know even GH2 is not giving much by increasing 4MP to GH1. I think we need better low light performance here, otherwise why we were so upset on narrow apperture 12-50 lens at tele.
- Better Image stabilisation.
- Better video modes, unlimited video clips, stero sound, microphone inputs, no digital IS issue in video quality, please.
- No big new innovation that destroys IQ, like T-mirror in Sony SLTs or sensor tricks that gives white orbs or anything new.
- Don't mind flash but hot shoe and accessory port.
- Fast, accurate C-AF even in continuous focus drive.
- And a price with the kit lens, not higher than pentax K5 and GH2.

I posted this elsewhere but here it is again:

Some rumored specs from (appropriately enough) 43 Rumors:

1) It has an OM look
2) Built-in 1.44 dots integrated viewfinder
3) New in body stabilization and AF system
4) Comes in Black and Silver
5) Weather sealed magnesium body
6) 16 megapixel sensor
7) Width 121mm, weighs 425g

with a price of $1100 US. There were other rumors about this being called an HDR sensor with isos up to 25800. All of this aside, I think the critical thing here will be the new sensor. Dxomark gave the E-P3 sensor a score of 51 and the X-10 just got a 50 with a sensor half the size. I don't worship Dxomark but it does indicate that the Oly senors are getting a little long in the tooth.

Back