Olympus EM5 Mark II
Olympus 75-300/4.8-6.7II
Panasonic 12-35/2.8 Power OIS

Post processing:
Adobe Premiere Elements 14
Old Film preset and various other tweaks

Audio:
Captured ambient sounds via on camera microphones
Music is free track from US National Archive - period appropriate, digitized from a wax cylinder

Video:
1080p 24fps

I don't know why I'm accepting of some faux vintage looks in still photography and not in video, but that washed-out flicker-y look notwithstanding, I really enjoyed the video. It has a nice pace...your camera never seemed rushed, nor the edits too quick.

You mentioned ambient sounds captured by the mic on camera, but I didn't hear anything beyond the music. I assume you meant for it to be subtle. I'd like to hear some of the sounds of the thresher.

And please accept these as merely my own personal taste and not meant to be a critique....I know absolutely nothing about shooting (or editing) video. To re-iterate, I enjoyed the video...there's not too many videos I watch on a photography website all the way through....this one I did.

I don't know why I'm accepting of some faux vintage looks in still photography and not in video, but that washed-out flicker-y look notwithstanding, I really enjoyed the video. It has a nice pace...your camera never seemed rushed, nor the edits too quick.

You mentioned ambient sounds captured by the mic on camera, but I didn't hear anything beyond the music. I assume you meant for it to be subtle. I'd like to hear some of the sounds of the thresher.

And please accept these as merely my own personal taste and not meant to be a critique....I know absolutely nothing about shooting (or editing) video. To re-iterate, I enjoyed the video...there's not too many videos I watch on a photography website all the way through....this one I did.

Constructive criticism always welcome.

The thresher sounds are there, but very subtle. As with viewing images online, my monitor headphones and and PC speakers expressed the mix how I envisioned it. I'm not sure how it comes across to others. I can always go back and revisit the levels on the scratch track and see about pulling them back closer to zero. Honestly, audio is my weakest link in video right now.

I did a lot of studying on the video side. Taking tips from many documentary videographers on pacing, cuts and what not. Good to see that I'm employing the tips they shared with some success.

I was trying to get to a feel of how close I could if audio and video could have been recorded in that time period.

Since you are interested, here is the rough track.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rp7kEvEMqsIVew6g1

Video is edited together and I did some grading - but it is all in color, no other effects - I originally started with the EM5.2 using the "flat" profile.
Audio is straight from the camera, no change in levels or gain. You'll be able to hear the ambient sounds very clear.

I guess my big fear on the master audio mix is that between the static and pops from the music track, the sounds of the machinery could become too annoying with all that.

Back