Fuji Okay, I joined Club Fuji...

Holy hell, molten metal and jets of fire... I should do a comparison set of my work environment. "And in this cube is where Mike sits. Say hi, Mike!"

Ha ha! Thanks.

We all have a role and they are all important. I've done my share of cubicle sitting as an engineer and what I did was important -- just as what our finance people, HR people and so forth do is important. The problem is, I'm such a little boy in an old man's body and this place constantly feeds my sense of wonder even after 22 years here. Can't buy that for any price sometimes.

But my schedule when things go wrong can be positively brutal. I've worked 24 hour + stretches when catastrophes happen. I've worked two week stretches of 16 hour days with no time off. I've slept at the plant and not bathed for days at a time. I'm on call every other week as we have only two process control (basically computer automation) engineers on staff. Every job has its plusses and minuses, lol. I've made my choice but there ARE SOME DAYS where I wonder about it!

Industrial life is, in a sense only, like a military career: you have to love it or you'd never put up with the things you have to go through. I must love it...

I am in a biotech manufaturing plant, but in a business role (not manufacturing). There are about 250 people here with very similar time constraints to yours - if something goes pear-shaped, then several thousand sick people's supply of critical mdeication (and not that it's our first concern but also tens of millions of dollars' worth of product) is at stake. We have a standing reservation at the hotel next door for a block of rooms, 24/7/365. They just sit there, empty and paid for, Just In Case. And every year they do get used, several times - blizzards, hurricanes, terrorist bombings... But not for this guy. I just crunch numbers, they can live without me for a day.

I just joined the Fuji club too, X100S. While I was on the phone with Popflash, another had sold as mine was in the cart. Got the last Hood Adapter too.

I just joined the Fuji club too, X100S. While I was on the phone with Popflash, another had sold as mine was in the cart. Got the last Hood Adapter too.

Great timing on that!

I got a used adapter and hood from KEH.com -- they had them used for about $80 which seemed like a reasonable deal since it is in "Like New" shape which with KEH really means that, lol.

I got a used adapter and hood from KEH.com -- they had them used for about $80 which seemed like a reasonable deal since it is in "Like New" shape which with KEH really means that, lol.

FIE!!! I had not thought of that, hehe. I got a discount on a Thumbs-up for getting the Adapter there so... eh. We'll see. IF all goes well, all I think I will want is a case, then I can wear it and my minolta rangefinder.

Ok, John, I sorta made good on my threat to counter your work photo with one of my own.

BEHOLD THE SMOLDERING CAULDRON OF BIOTECH-ERY:

pmeo.jpg

In all seriousness, I was biking home from a dinner last night and happened to go right by it. And I thought of this, hopped over into the middle of the lane, braced on the guard rail, and shot.

Nice building and nice shot... but those colors in the levels -- that yellow-green looks scary. Do you have to wear biohazard suits there? ;)

You've got me thinking about the massive UNDERGROUND complex that might be there... kind of "Andromeda Strain" with lasers and stuff!

And I know what recombinant DNA manufacturing of proteins IS -- but my expertise would be to say-the-least really, really thin, lol.

I did learn a little about biotech back in the 80's. I was working as a volunteer for the Bioprocessing and Pharmaceuticals Research Corporation (BPRC) in Philadelphia which was then run by a Dr. Paul Todd and was a wholly owned subsidiary of NASA Goddard. What they did was fly an apparatus in the GAS (Get Away Special) containers that you could fly on space shuttle missions. The whole idea to was to be able to crystallize proteins that you couldn't on earth because gravity created convection and you couldn't get crystals large enough to do x-ray diffraction analysis on. You'd get a bunch of small nucleation sites but some proteins make very weak crystals that break up when forming in gravity. In the microgravity environment you could grow them and potentially bring them back down to earth and then definitively determine the structure and not just the chemical formula which of course allows the molecules to be modeled.

My job was very limited: I designed flight data recording on a tiny low power microcontroller that flew with the project and gathered temperature profiles in the GAS can. I only worked there a short time before Challenger went BOOM and Goddard ended the whole venture.

I was working with a guy who was I think a doctoral candidate at the time and his name was Howard Zisermann (or was it Ziserman? don't recall...) and Howard was the one who dragged me into it. Howard and I were both ham radio guys (he callsign was WA3GOV but I don't know if that changed) with an interest in extraterrestrial communications and got together that way. Howard's big thing was DNA amplification and mapping and he was working at Penn at the time on it I think.

That's my only connection to your industry and it was a very brief one, lol.

Ok, John, I sorta made good on my threat to counter your work photo with one of my own.

BEHOLD THE SMOLDERING CAULDRON OF BIOTECH-ERY:

pmeo.jpg

In all seriousness, I was biking home from a dinner last night and happened to go right by it. And I thought of this, hopped over into the middle of the lane, braced on the guard rail, and shot.

The glowing green colors are office corridor walls that have been painted vibrant, pleasant shades of company colors in an attempt to make it not feel like another boring old office space, one must imagine. And I do appreciate it... colors affect mood. Building is roughly half office space, half manufacturing. Office portion is pretty new and glassy.

Below one part of us is a 40-something foot pit we had to dig during the expansion, in order to house mechanicals and such. What we dug into was a former dump (literally), so we found engine blocks and such buried in that soil. No tunnels other than pipeways for steam. And no lasers, sadly. I got to pop my head in during contruction, once. I was shocked at how deep it was. Reminded me of something from Indiana Jones.

x100 successor when the price comes down?

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

OR: An X-M1 and that new Samyang 10mm ultrawide that was announced if it's any good. I need an ultrawide for my urbex work and usually manually focus so that might be an absolutely killer low cost ultrawide combo. I'd still use my micro four thirds for places where I need video or a "system camera". The E-M1's ergo's won't hurt me much shooting time exposures and taking my time in an urbex shoot.

Back