Samsung NX 500 on the way

Brian style

Regular
Samsung introduces NX500 with NX1's 28MP BSI sensor

$799 w/16-50pz
No body only option shown yet so I assume it would be $699 although I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung made it $749 to try to milk out a little more coin.
She's a pretty girl ;)
Will offer just about all of the functionality of the NX1 at half the price.
Dual control dials, yah!, but no control wheel (although they put a control wheel on the NX 3300, hmmmm).
Pretty much same size and weight as the NX300 but with a more substantial grip.
Same LCD as the NX1, which is actually smaller than the NX300 (3.3" vs 3"). Cost saving to use the same screen obliviously but a size decrease is not welcome.
The h.265 codec will no doubt put off potential buyers who would flock to this for internal 4k recording, BUT internal 4k for $800 is unheard of in the DSLR/CSC world.
Also, no mic input so video people might be concerned about that.
NO Lightroom will come with it!

Samsung hasn't really been serious about the camera game until the NX1. The majority of Samsung NX buyers had to research on their own to find out about the NX lineup. There is very little information about the cameras or lenses and very few reviews in comparison to other brands. The NX1 has gotten more reviews than all of the other NX cameras combined LOL!
Samsung makes good to very good lenses, a lot of compact options for portability. They are still primarily an electronics company and have just started getting really serious about cameras so most serious photographers no very little about Samsung. I've found Samsung to be in between Fuji and Sony. I like Fuji's lenses but didin't like their bodies and I like the tech Sony puts in their cameras although I hate their menus and not really a fan of the bodies, and their lenses are uninspired and overpriced. Samsung hits the middle ground with quality lenses/price and the bodies have a good amount of tech.

The nx300 pulled me in with uniformly excellent reviews; its sensor is comparable to Sony's 20Mpx at dxo and has on-chip PDAF. But it's true, finding a Samsung-only forum is futile.. But this will do! :D

I've still got a few thousand frames to put through my NX300 yet but the NX500 looks like it has some noteworthy features as a potential replacement. The new AMOLED screen will hopefully be at least as visible in bright light as my current Olympus ones are, the addition of a second control dial is great, as is inheriting the full autofocus system from the NX1. Not sure about the new sensor just yet as the existing one, after starting off a little unpolished in the NX200, had been refined wonderfully by the time it appeared in the NX300.

Quite true that the nx500 is a step up from a camera that's already full of interesting features. Just the other day I finally took a few images with the nx300 from my phone, and later my tablet. Now to learn how far away they can be, so I can spook a few critters in the yard! :eek:

Looks like the claims about the NX500 were a bit exaggerated. But 1:1 4K (which seems close to a 1" sensor in terms of sensor area) with full sensor readout on 1080p is still pretty darn good from my perspective. And I don't care much about a big buffer. All for $800.

Is there an option for VF? If it is even optional I'll jump on the bandwagon because I have two lenses that for me are all I nead.

Now that the user manual is out it is looking like they crippled the NX500 pretty well (this is not said in a good way). The buffer doesn't look particularly impressive, but the lack of focus peaking in 4k and UHD video recording will no doubt put off many potential buyers. I certainly would have liked to see them give the NX500 more "teeth" so that it could punch a bit more obove it's weight class so to speak, to really trump the competition.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201503/20150313082358453/NX500_English.pdf

The NX1 got Samsung a seat at the big boys' table. They were FINALLY "in the discussion" but at $1500 they weren't in casual user discussion. The NX500 could have really got them a deep foothold and brought in many new users. I'm sure photographically it will do fine but it is clearly crippled to protect the NX1 for video. This makes it VERY interesting to me to see what they do with the NX50. If they stuffed the guts of the NX1 into the body of an NX30 (poly body, no weather sealing, EVF, swivel screen) they would probably really gain traction in the video community who tend to prefer swivel screens to tilting.
*crippled in terms of how powerful the NX1 has proven to be compared to what might be done with the NX500. I am fairly certain some of the "crippling" comes from the limitations of using the body style the NX#00 has as far as room, heat dissipation, etc

Last edited:
Back