Panasonic Now what in heck is this? Strange artifact in daytme moon shot. FZ200

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Here's the original:

FZ200 misc 025.JPG

Here's the same image after going through Picasa's "I'm feeling lucky" function:
FZ200 misc 025-001.JPG

DXO 9 and Perfect Effects produce similar results.

I figure it is an optical artifact, but what?

Cheers, Jock

To test for sensor dust, shoot a blank white wall or shoot of paper with your aperture stopped down as far as it goes (f11 or f16 maybe on your Panasonic?). Any dust will be revealed. Of course, dust moves around so it may have shaken loose.

Here's the original:

View attachment 24820
Here's the same image after going through Picasa's "I'm feeling lucky" function:
View attachment 24821
DXO 9 and Perfect Effects produce similar results.

I figure it is an optical artifact, but what?

Cheers, Jock

Yes, sensor dust is circular. It generally has a darker center and lighter outside...but depending on the aperture used and the size of the dust, it could look just like you've shown here. It is especially prominent in solid colors or sky gradients. As Luke mentioned, you can determine is this is the case by photographing a blank white wall or piece of paper at a small aperture.

I get it now. The moon (in most of my photos anyway) needs a lot of enhancement to show off the craters etc., so the big enhancement made the spot pop out like that.

Yes, sensor dust is circular. It generally has a darker center and lighter outside...but depending on the aperture used and the size of the dust, it could look just like you've shown here. It is especially prominent in solid colors or sky gradients. As Luke mentioned, you can determine is this is the case by photographing a blank white wall or piece of paper at a small aperture.

Well, merde. Just did the test. Apparently it is dust on the sensor. Fortunately Al the camera guy is just a few miles away.

It's significantly more expensive to get the sensor cleaned because you have to take the camera apart. (And here I was thinking I was ahead of the DSLR/ILC camera guys because you expose your sensors to dust when you change lenses.)

Cheers, Jock

Well, merde. Just did the test. Apparently it is dust on the sensor. Fortunately Al the camera guy is just a few miles away.

It's significantly more expensive to get the sensor cleaned because you have to take the camera apart. (And here I was thinking I was ahead of the DSLR/ILC camera guys because you expose your sensors to dust when you change lenses.)

Cheers, Jock

Uggggh. I feel for you, Jock. That won't be cheap. My condolences.

Digital cameras are electrostatic devices and are big-time magnets for dust, internally. Fortunately, most such devices are sealed just well enough to preclude problem dust getting in. In my experience, battery compartments, SD card slots, cable connection compartments - those are the most likely entrance points. I address those problems by never carrying a camera loose in a pocket - if I carry in a pocket it's with the camera in a zippered pouch that's 100 percent closed.

Anything with a zoom is going to eventually be prone to dust intrusion. it gets sucked in by the zoom motion. So far, I've been lucky. I guess the advantage of ILC is that you *can* do a sensor clean yourself, whereas with all in ones, you can't.

The other thing I do, also, is check the zoom barrel to see if there is much dust on it and if there is, I give it a quick wipedown with an antistatic cloth, before turning it off. This is only when I put it away. if its in and out frequently whilst in use... definite risk.

Back