Not happy with Flickr, not sure about Ipernity, how about 500px

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
I had Flickr Premium, I cancelled my sub when they changed the format, but still find their discussion groups good.

I tend to use my own domain to post any images online … i.e never through links to Flickr

Any users of 500px paid accounts, Awesome, (US$75 pa), or Plus and if so is it good value

I'm not that happy with ipernity, myself, but havent felt tempted to spend money at 500px at all. I joined them in the early days and it seems to me that I dont measure up. I should have waited longer before spending at ipernity. $75AUD for 2 years... meh.

I'm not that happy with ipernity, myself, but havent felt tempted to spend money at 500px at all. I joined them in the early days and it seems to me that I dont measure up. I should have waited longer before spending at ipernity. $75AUD for 2 years... meh.

Morning Sue … must be cold "down under" and hopefully it's raining!!

Yep, Flickr still seems to "rule the roost"

500px is an odd place. There are tons of really excellent images on there, and I would say that it is a bit "artier" than Flickr. As a showcase for your work it's a bit ephemeral - the emphasis is on new stuff, and photos rarely seem to get viewed after the first day or two, whereas Flickr hits keep on coming. I wouldn't really keep all my photos on 500px - I just add those that I think fits in with the general style. By default your photos are available for sale in various formats, which is a nice touch, not that anyone has ever bought one of mine - I think the prices are a bit high.
But I have to admit that I don't actually mind the new Flickr style now, after they have made a few tweaks. It's certainly still my basic image store, and I copy to Ipernity/500px when the mood takes me.
I paid for the Plus membership on 500px - you have to in order to store more than about 20 images, IIRC. I think it was about £20pa. The Awesome didn't seem worth it at the time.

Thanks All

I mainly used Flickr for sharing images with friends and family - i.e. when we go on holiday and I take say 100 shots I post them on Flickr under private for the kids and other family members to see ….. same if I am doing stuff around the house or whatever …….. a sharing service for images that only F and F would be interested in

My images are OK but will never be at a "showcase" level - the ones I make public are again so I can give the link to interested parties - who do not need to see the more personal images and other similar shots.

So I use Flickr for a personal image service rather than emailing images to people …

What's your "not sure"-ness on Ipernity? I find it really works for me?

I've recently taken to posting more on Google+ too.

If I make my images private, won't I have to go to all my "family and friends" and ask them to open an Ipernity account to view them? or have I misunderstood that

I'm on 500px. I had a paid account at one stage but now have the free account. I went with the paid account because with that you do get some very good display options. The portfolio options in particular are quite nice. In the end I dropped it because when Smugmug relaunched they offered something similar (which they hadn't previously) and since I was already paying for that it didn't make sense to pay for both.

500px certainly looks a lot better than Flickr, which is a mess, but it's not really a competitor in my view, which is why I have both.

Martin's comment above about the twenty photos limit refers to the maximum number you can post per week with a free account. But with that constraint, you can upload as many as you want on the free account.

To share images, one can also use Dropbox. You can provide a link to an album to friends/family, and the link will take them directly to the photos, without the necessity of them "joining" Dropbox.

If I make my images private, won't I have to go to all my "family and friends" and ask them to open an Ipernity account to view them? or have I misunderstood that

...don't know... think they just have to follow a link you give them, but I haven't tried. I manage my privacy settings assiduously but all my "friends" already have accounts, because they are "photo-friends", if you see what I mean. "Muggles" get email attachments, or I use Dropbox or Google Drive to share.

...don't know... think they just have to follow a link you give them, but I haven't tried. I manage my privacy settings assiduously but all my "friends" already have accounts, because they are "photo-friends", if you see what I mean. "Muggles" get email attachments, or I use Dropbox or Google Drive to share.

No they don't have that feature ... it's one thing I wish they would copy off flickr

No they don't have that feature ... it's one thing I wish they would copy off flickr

This from the Ipernity Admin: [EN] Something we had forgotten which is finally fixed: sharing by email "Curiously enough it was previously not possible to share content by email on ipernity ^^

This is now fixed! You will now find on the photo, album, article and doc pages a button that will enable you to share by email.

For this we use your own email system so you can use your email address book.
Please note that your choice of the email system will be stored and offered first in the list.

For now only public content visible by everyone can be shared. However very soon you will be able to share your own private content (the project is being developed)."

Back