Not an SC, but fun purchase story (fun for me)

wt21

Hall of Famer
I have been really thinking about what I need, and I came to the conclusion I needed to upgrade my FF body. The ol' 5D classic needs a refresh. Considered 5Dii, Nikon, etc. Finally, I started considering the 6D. Hmmmm.... good high ISO, reasonable AF (a little behind Nikon), small body, keep all my lenses. OK. 6D.

Where to buy? Well, B&H can ship it here by Tuesday. I usually like to get it from B&H, but my girls have events this evening. Maybe a local store. I call Grumpy Gus (that's what I call him) at one of my local camera stores. They're asking $2000. "Do you price match?" I ask. It's $1860 on line. I get put on hold. After 10 minutes of hold music I hang up. Ah! BestBuy! Look them up, sure enough! They have the camera listed at $1859 and in stock. 15 min away.

Drive over, find an associate (which wasn't easy!). "Your sign says $2000. Online it says $1859. Is it $1859?" They verify -- yup. They'll do $1859. Ring up, talking to clerk while signing the receipt, I ask -- "can I just check, to make sure it has a battery" as I plan to use it in 4 hours -- open it up. Camera is not wrapped, battery is in camera, and strap is attached to camera. Open box item. Walk over to customer service, for a 10% credit. While doing the credit, we also realize manuals are in Spanish only?!? There's a CD in here that isn't from a 6D?!?! Also, the battery looks like it's been through "Will it Blend!" What the heck?!?

Manager grabs me a brand new 6D, and still gives me the 10% off :)

Best Buy is price matching to online! Oh! And no suspicious security guard at the front and their music was turned down. And I won a round of "open box roulette" lol. I might have to start shopping there again, though I still love B&H.

Hey, I got the XE1 last week!

Actually, it was playing with the XE1 that made me realize what I wanted -- FF and m43. Right where I was a year ago!

Back