Leica No reply from Leica for one month.

My M Monochrom should arrive back today- 15 weeks door-to-door. I will very happy to have it back in hand. My M9 shows no signs of corrosion, bought 7+ years ago. The M9 has seen much more use, been to the beach, used in the cold. If it does require a sensor replacement, getting the CLA on it will be worthwhile and a 1-year warranty is like having a new camera. I will not mind paying the price as set for replacements after August.

My M9 has been received by Leica Repair (NJ) a couple of days ago. I sent mine in without really knowing whether the sensor is corroded or not.

The M Monochrom is back in my hands- figure 16 weeks for a sensor replacement if things hold as they did for me. Firmware updated to 1.016. Camera has a 1936 Sonnar on it now.

What would be the cost of a check-up and adjusting by Leica if they find the sensor to be fine? Does anyone have such information?

I'm not sure- but think it's about 1/2 of the price for replacing the sensor under the new policy. The warranty extension for 1 year was something like $350.

I paid in 2014 (for labor only) $400 for a replacement motherboard, which includes a new sensor. Then only came out the policy for free sensor replacement if damaged.

I remember that your M9 had a circuit board problem. I didn't realize they put a new sensor in it. Those CCD's ran over $2000 for the part alone.

The sensor is a part of the motherboard, I have been told. By getting a new motherboard in 2014, the M9 also got a new sensor then.

Circuit boards are cheap compared to the CCD and labor to align everything. The original CCD cameras used sockets, almost like an older CPU.

I still didn't have too much time for photography, but I wanted to try the new sensor. Here's some shots in NYC with the Leica M9 and a Canon 35mm f/1.5 lens. Everything looked in order:

leica3.jpg

leica4.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

leica5.jpg

leica1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard back today from Leica NJ. My M9 sensor must be replaced. Waiting time is 24-36 weeks. cost=$0. The damaged sensor was installed by Leica in 2014. It lasted only for 2 years.

24-36 months!! Holy Cow!! That is nightmarish.

(update: I realize now I somehow confused what I was reading. 24-36 weeks is still long but nothing like three years!)

I suspect the time is up do to a mad rush to get cameras in before the August deadline. As stated before, I check mine and found nothing but a few specs of dust which cleaned off. The M Monochrom- the marks staying in the same place, looked like bubbles in some places and "immobile dark spots" in other places was the give-away.

It is alarming that I need each two years a new sensor. Is the replacement sensor this time a new design sensor that does not have such issues as the old sensor?

The problem with the original sensor was the use of S8612 Schott glass for the IR absorbing filter. This glass "corrodes" in humidity, and Schott suggests sandwhiching it on non-corrosive glass. The problem for Leica: this made for a thick filter stack, so they used a thin coating to block humidity. The new glass is BG-55 and does not corrode, is about 10% less efficient in transmitting visible light than the S8612 filter.

I'm just guessing but I imagine that they make some compensation for exposure, etc, on the electronic board that the sensor is mounted on. This will keep the other functions of the camera working normally. I don't think a 10% loss of light transmission efficiency on the IR filter is going to make much of a difference.

Back