Leica No reply from Leica for one month.

M. Valdemar

Top Veteran
In the beginning of April 2017 I sent an email to Leica USA repair department requesting a sensor replacement for my M-9. They had already approved it a year ago, but I asked them to postpone it because they said they were having problems with sensor sourcing.

I did not get a reply for several weeks after emailing them April 4, 2017. I emailed another department and got a reply from a Mark Brady telling me to email Roxana Lynch directly, which I did. She is supposed to be in charge of service.

It is now over a month since I sent 5 emails to repair, Roxana Lynch and Leica-USA and made two phone calls, and still nobody at Leica will answer an email or return my call regarding service.

I find this odd in the extreme and I wonder if this indicates problems with Leica USA? I'm now a little reluctant to even want to send my camera there for fear I will not get it back for an endless span of time.

Has anyone else had this experience with Leica?

I sent the M Monochrom in ~8weeks ago, also had to Email several people directly to get a response. I get the feeling that they are overwhelmed with covering the cost of sensor replacements in out-of-warranty cameras, When I did send the camera, got an Email the day that it was delivered. So the receiving department works. The website has a form to fill out and include with the camera being sent in for repair. Once received, the sensor is evaluated. On mine: no doubt in my mind that small marks from corrosion are showing up. On my M9, which is now 6 years old: no signs of corrosion, and I pixel-peep. Odd! I wonder if there were batch problems with the sensor coatings. The M Monochrom got "babied" more than the M9, which has been to the beach and out and about.

Hmmm, I might have to go into constant emailing and pestering mode, or else call them directly until I get someone on the phone.

I have had my M9 for about 6 years too. I got it as a refurb from Leica that had a full warranty at the time. The sensor is not too bad but I can also definitely see the telltale signs of corrosion starting to appear.

My M9 has been everywhere. All over NYC in my bag, several times to Japan, to Manila, to London, not babied at all. Not one single problem with the cameras except for sensor corrosion as mentioned above. Camera has been dead reliable.

I sent the M Monochrom in ~8weeks ago, also had to Email several people directly to get a response. I get the feeling that they are overwhelmed with covering the cost of sensor replacements in out-of-warranty cameras, When I did send the camera, got an Email the day that it was delivered. So the receiving department works. The website has a form to fill out and include with the camera being sent in for repair. Once received, the sensor is evaluated. On mine: no doubt in my mind that small marks from corrosion are showing up. On my M9, which is now 6 years old: no signs of corrosion, and I pixel-peep. Odd! I wonder if there were batch problems with the sensor coatings. The M Monochrom got "babied" more than the M9, which has been to the beach and out and about.

I finally got a reply after emailing Roger Horn directly and Leica in Germany. They sent me a prepaid UPS mailing label and I sent the camera off to Leica in NJ. The camera was delivered but I have has no confirmation of receipt or estimated repair time.

To me, this is indicative of some sort of turmoil in their operation. Not very professional at all.

I had to send several more emails to Leica, but finally got an update about my camera.

They acknowledged receipt of my camera, then I heard nothing for a week. I then emailed the contact person who sent me the UPS label and was able to get a reply.

He told me that they examined my M9 sensor for corrosion and found my sensor was defective. The estimate they gave me to have my camera repaired and returned was early July 2017. I'm going to Japan in August and would like to bring the camera, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I had a similar experience with their service department this year. They've had my M9 since March, and say it will be a 12 week turnaround. I have no idea where my camera is in their queue.

I heard back on a second inquiry- directed to an Individual at Leica New Jersey. Was told my M Monochrom is in the queue for a new sensor, and this could take as long as 20 weeks.

Surprise, surprise. I emailed the CEO and I got a reply from Germany. Leica NJ finished my sensor the same day I emailed the CEO (yesterday) and it has been sent back to me via UPS today. Will arrive Monday. Less than 4 week turnover with a little nudging.

Good to know the color CCD has shorter turn-around. I suspect the Monochrom sensor is in far tighter supply. I also suspect that the monochrome CCD's were cherry-picked for uniformity, meaning lower-yield.

My feeling is that they are close to totally overwhelmed with the sensor replacements. The new deadline for free sensor replacement was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. I imagine there are probably hundreds, if not thousands of cameras awaiting sensor repair.

I tested my 6+ year old M9 again- no signs of corrosion. My feeling- the CLA and 1-year warranty makes the cost of replacing the sensor in the future worthwhile, if it is required. The Kodak DCS full-frame cameras use S8612 glass as well, some corroded, others did not.

If I were you I would try to get a firm commitment from someone who has some authority in NJ before you send your camera. CC the CEO of Leica in Wetzlar all correspondence. Keep calling if you have to, until you get someone to speak to you. But you have to act fast, the deadline for the free sensor replacement is fast approaching.

I personally do not think I would have had the same outcome if I just passively relied on the normal process. Before I became more aggressive in my approach, I got no response from Leica at all. I'm sorry it had to be that way, right now the customer service there seems to be in disarray.

Markus Limberger (Leica AG, Wetzlar) is the person to contact on such issues, the last Leica CEO emailed me recently.

My Leica M9 is back. They replaced a circuit board, which I assume had the sensor on it. The plastic control wheel on the back seems to have been replaced, but it was not in the paperwork. 3 hours labor, free. Firmware 2.10 and they gave me a new strap. The leatherette was replaced. It does not seem as if they did anything additional, such as replacing other worn parts. I have no idea if they did a CLA as part of the service.

Leather covering replaced
Circuit M9 REV 4 + 5
Sealing ring, 1 X 1,5

A very brief test seems to confirm all is well. I will take the camera out shooting tomorrow. I'm satisfied that I now have an 8 year old digital camera which is in good operating condition and can still create excellent images.

M9 is working great. These two shots are with the 35mm F2 Summicron ASPH. Focus is spot on, camera is working smoothly. To my eye (and it might be my imagination), the new sensor renders a tiny bit cooler than the old sensor. I will try it with some of my adapted Sonnars this weekend.

m91.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

m92.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back