Fuji Nissin i40 highly recommended

RSHPhotography

I've been making the transition from DSLR to Fujifilm. The last thing has been replacing my old flash, mainly because I don't use flash a lot. I bought a Nissin i40 yesterday and used it today. I'm happily satisfied with it, great piece of equipment. I shoot off camera through an umbrella and the flash performed just great. When I saw it at the camera store, I will say I was shocked how small it was. Yet, checking the specs comparing it to my SB600, there wasn't much difference in performance despite the dramatic down-sizing. The comparable GNs: 30 for the SB600 and 27 for the Nissin i40. And of course the smaller size is a natural fit for the smaller mirrorless camera. One thing that did worry me at first was the placement on the slave sensor -- it's on the front panel. But the flash never failed to fire even once today, detecting the commander flash from my X-E1 wherever I was. I'm as enthusiastic about this flash as I am about my Fuji equipment. Highly recommended if you're looking for a flash for you Fuji and can't wait for Fujifilm to come up with a new flash.

Without the firmware update the Nissin i40 will not work at all on the XT2 except for giving out a small weak flash that will not light up anything, I found this out at my first XT2 wedding and had to revert to my manual Yonguo flashes.

DSCF3198.JPG

My i40 arrived a few days ago. I'm very pleased with it, it's small but has enough weight to instil a feeling of confidence. With TTL, Auto and Manual modes, 180 degree rotate and 90 degree tilt head it has plenty to offer. The built-in reflector and diffuser are a bonus, as is the slave feature. So far I've only done test shots on the X-T1 but the results have been good.

I just bought the XF 60mm macro lens. I don't do a lot of flash work at all . . . I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to flash work. I've always relied on natural light. I see the i40 runs about $265 on Amazon. Other flashes run from $20 to around $400. For lightweight, portable use in taking occasional close-up pics in the forest, what is really needed? I assume the i40 would be a good choice, but is it overkill for someone who would only use a flash sporadically?

Bumping an older discussion. I found a new i40 on eBay for almost $100 less than Amazon's price, and grabbed it. As I mentioned previously, I've never been much of a flash user, but I've been getting more interested in indoor people shots. The i40 seems to be a good choice for occasional casual portraits. Next step is to figure out a good portrait lens . . . thinking either the 35mm WR or 50mm WR, which would do double duty for environmental use.

You don't still have that 60 up there?
No, gave up it and the XF 18 F2 to fund the 23mm WR. Seems I've done that a lot; buy something, use it for a while, then pass it on and use the funds to buy something else. I've considered getting another - the XF 60 is an excellent lens, as is the XF 18 f2. The goal I'm working toward is a compact, lightweight kit that is fully WR.

I did the Canon to Fuji switch but wouldn't like to do another one, except for the X-T2 to GFX one but need to win the lottery first.

Back