Nikon Nikon V1 for sale at $299 at B&H

Well, I did it. Took the plunge in spite of myself. Chose the free shipping, so I won't see it until the middle or late next week (unless I call tomorrow morning and upgrade it!)

I don't think this is my kind of camera. I like readily available manual controls. But it's intrigued me since I first saw it, so between B&H's price and the glories of "Bill me Later" I got the one lens kit. I'll compare it to my XZ-1, decide whether the added bulk is something I can live with, and then decide which one to keep. Or maybe I'll sell both and go on to other adventures.

Just a FYI for anyone interested in taking advantage of this $299 deal: Cameta Camera is offering a refurbished Nikon One 30-100mm zoom with one-year warranty for $137. Together with the $299 deal at B&H, one can have a fairly complete little system for not too much money:

Nikon 1 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 VR Nikkor Lens (Black) - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Cameta is also offering the 10mm f/2.8 prime for the Nikon One (also refurbished with one-year warranty) for $159:

Nikon 1 10mm f/2.8 Nikkor Lens (Black) - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

I've purchased refurbished from Cameta before (an Olympus Zuiko 14-150 superzoom for micro four thirds that Amin bought as well) and there's no problem. Order with confidence.

Both my 4/3 DSLR telephoto zooms were refurbished from Cameta and were indistinguishable from brand new. I'd recommend Cameta's refurbished sales model equipment to anyone. Good outfit.

That said, I REALLY wish I hadn't heard about this sale!:D

My V1 should arrive Monday, earlier than I thought. Having found out about the 18.5mm f1.8, for about $187, I'm more tempted by that than the zooms at Cameta. And I still don't know if I'm going to like the camera but am tempted to order the lens with 3 day shipping to get it here by Monday also.

Who is the saint against compulsive camera buying??

My V1 should arrive Monday, earlier than I though. Having found out about the 18.5mm f1.8, for about $187, I'm more tempted by that than the zooms at Cameta. And I still don't know if I'm going to like the camera but am tempted to order the lens with 3 day shipping to get it here by Monday also.

Who is the saint against compulsive camera buying??

That would be St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes... :tongue:

I should have talked to him before I added the 18.5mm to my order.

I went to Best Buy today to see if I'd totally blown it, but came away pretty reassured. I liked the camera much more than I thought I would. Even if iso, PASM, etc are in menus, the shooting adjustments (shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, and lock, are all on buttons, dials, and switches near to hand. I suspect it will be pretty easy to shoot with. The LCD representation of the 3200 shot I just took was pretty good, although my own taste is to get rid of the chroma noise and live with the luminance, which one can easily enough do in raw, which I shoot anyway.

So now I'm excited, not just guilty about my purchase! And yes, the focus is fast.

Let us know how that 18.5mm f1.8 turns out!! It's the first "fast" lens for the system. I may have to pick up a V1 if the 18.5mm turns out to be a gem!

Let us know how that 18.5mm f1.8 turns out!! It's the first "fast" lens for the system. I may have to pick up a V1 if the 18.5mm turns out to be a gem!

I've heard good rumors about it, all based on MFT and test charts, though; I couldn't find any real reviews, but took the chance anyway, because I've gotten used to fast primes on my m4/3. I'm hoping to take it out to shoot a holiday light display, "River Walk", using the 18.5 next week -- with my E-M5 along too. I know that will do the job.

OK. So I'm a little obsessive. The 18.5mm lens just got here, but not the camera. I ordered the camera Monday night and chose standard shipping, and that was too late to change when I called NY at 8AM mountain time Tuesday. I then ordered the prime lens, but chose 3 day shipping to get it here when the camera arrived. Everything was then on target for Monday delivery. So I got the lens early and can't use it yet. But I'm glad I have it, and I think that stuck on the front of the V1, it will make a very portable package that will surely fit in my multi-pocketed vest.

A very light lens that bespeaks quality. Nice to have the Nikon 5 years extended service warranty included.

My first Nikon too. I was always an Olympus guy, and got my nose out of joint early on by Nikon Nazis who looked down their noses at any other system. Silly really, on their part and mine.

I've got ants in my pants waiting for the camera.

Hi everyone! I just joined the site and this is my first post.

I've been looking for a small system camera and the V1 was one of those being considered. When I became aware of the $299 price at B&H(thanks drd!), it made my choice a "no brainer". I now have a V1 headed my way. Since I could get $100 off each, when I purchased the camera, I also picked up the 30-110mm and 10mm f2.8 lenses. For less than $500 I've got a pretty complete system. I'm sure I'll add a fast prime and flash at some point, but I'm good for now.

Of course, the camera and 10-30mm lens are black. I ordered the 10mm f2.8 in black, as well. However, I ordered my "long" 30-110mm zoom lens in white......just like those conspicuous Canon zooms. Probably blasphemy here, but I've always liked that look.....and now I can actually afford it! :D

The camera with the 10-30mm should arrive Tuesday, but the other two lenses are on back order. So.....the wait begins.

Back