Film Nikon F601

That's the little brother of the F-801s - quite well-featured, in my eyes, much preferable to later models of the intermediate line (I own the F50 - my father's last SLR ... an embarrassingly limited camera). I owned one of those for a while, but decided to upgrade from the F-801 and F-601 (two bodies) to the F-801s (one body that had the advantages of both the others). I still have the F-801s - a camera that's considerably heavier than the F-601 :) But I think I know what you mean - sadly, the effect is partly caused by the somewhat bulky grip. But it's a very competent camera, and that's a nice lens you got on there!

M.

That's the little brother of the F-801s - quite well-featured, in my eyes, much preferable to later models of the intermediate line (I own the F50 - my father's last SLR ... an embarrassingly limited camera). I owned one of those for a while, but decided to upgrade from the F-801 and F-601 (two bodies) to the F-801s (one body that had the advantages of both the others). I still have the F-801s - a camera that's considerably heavier than the F-601 :) But I think I know what you mean - sadly, the effect is partly caused by the somewhat bulky grip. But it's a very competent camera, and that's a nice lens you got on there!

M.

Thanks Matt, I keep hearing about the F801 :). This camera was bought by my workplace and I honestly think it most likely was used only once or twice, and I am sure back in the day they payed quite a bit for it, so it is a generous gift!! The lens is very interesting, I know nothing about Nikon (other than the EM) so this is a new system for me. Looking forward to trying it out.

The 60mm f/2.8D is a very nice long normal macro lens - very sharp, very even; it's not as fast as similar standard lenses, but optically very, very good, almost as good as its younger sibling, the 60mm f/2.8G, a lens I love to use (and which is one of my mentor's most used lenses due to its reliability and quality). Frankly, for outdoors work, it beats all other normal lenses I own, even the might Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art (which might technically be the better lens, but it doesn't show at apertures of f/4 or smaller).

The F-801 was a milestone - the first truely modern semi-professional SLR with AF. It was named N8008 in North America. After the F-601 was released, the F-801s came out with the former's metering system (including spot metering) and better AF, but frankly, the technical differences are minor (though in the F-801(s), some parts are clearly superior, like the shutter). In use, the F-601 was quite nice, though it felt a little less sturdy than the F-801. The two cameras were so similar that I decided to kind of "merge" them ... the F-801s is the amalgam, giving you the best of both models. But that doesn't take away from the F-601 competence. Have fun!

M.

Back