Nikon Nikon DL series

Aw man, that shucks. I was really looking forward to that 18-50... to be honest, i've seen so much interest in it online, i find it kinda hard to believe that they wouldnt sell enough of them...

Aw man, that shucks. I was really looking forward to that 18-50... to be honest, i've seen so much interest in it online, i find it kinda hard to believe that they wouldnt sell enough of them...
I suspect that's the one of the three they might have done pretty well with. The other two would have been jumping into segments that already have tons of strong competition - the 18-50 would have been unique. But they were probably looking at sales projections for the three of them together and making the whole thing an all-in or all-out proposition and I can't say I think they're wrong to kill it if that's how they were looking at it. But, yeah, I think they'd have sold enough of those 18-50s that it would have been worth going forward with as a standalone... Or maybe that's just my selfish wants and needs talking.

-Ray

Wow, that is something we don't see often. But I suppose that is the risk when established players stay out of a new sector for too long - it can become too hard to elbow your way back in. Wonder how long Canon will persist with the EOS M?

I was hoping to get the 24-85. Assuming the AF was as good as the Nikon 1, but in a smaller package, and with the touch screen that Sony refuses to implement, the camera seemed like a winner to me. It seemed to combine everything that is best in the Sony RX100 series (except for built-in EVF), Panasonic LX10 and Canon GX7.

Wow, that is something we don't see often. But I suppose that is the risk when established players stay out of a new sector for too long - it can become too hard to elbow your way back in. Wonder how long Canon will persist with the EOS M?
The EOS M sells pretty well overall, just not in certain places like the US.

I would have bought the 18-50 the minute it hit the shelves, without waiting for tests. Just being able to carry 18mm-50mm at a wide aperture, in a pocket or bag, would have been great. It's disappointing because no other company is offering anything of the sort. Maybe Sony will see the potential and add a 18-50 to their lineup. It would be nice if Canon did it, but I wouldn't hold out hope that they would do it the way I want.

Now, I wonder where the prototypes and test cameras went...?

I was hoping to get the 24-85. Assuming the AF was as good as the Nikon 1, but in a smaller package, and with the touch screen that Sony refuses to implement, the camera seemed like a winner to me. It seemed to combine everything that is best in the Sony RX100 series (except for built-in EVF), Panasonic LX10 and Canon GX7.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I was one of the many who were really waiting for the DL series. But, as others have already said, I'm not actually surprised. I feel kind of bad for Nikon right now. This has to be an embarrassment. But, even more importantly, they seem to have lost their way in the brave, new world of 21st-century photography.

Here's Thom Hogan's take on it:

DL Turns out to mean Dead List | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

I don't want to know how much they've had invested into R&D for the DL series so far but they will have their reasons to bail out - somewhat of a bad signal to other manufacturers and yet another nail in the coffin of small sensor cameras.

They could have a stuck a Sony sensor in the 18-50 and done pretty well. I think Hogan goes overboard sometimes but I think he has this one right. Nikon is drifting into the conservative mode right when they need to be innovative. Canon has created a line of small sensor compacts and a mirrorless system that sells well in Asia. Nikon has nothing in those areas right now.

Back