Nikon D5100 In Stock and Shipping at Amazon

I will be very interested to hear what the camera store has to say - as in how are they going to deal with these lenses... I hope not resell them.

Did I mention, that this happened to me before? Well, when I had my D90 I bought a Nikon 18-200mm. This lens was unsharp and produced no single sharp picture. I brought it back and they sent it back to Nikon because they could not sell something like that. That lens was completely out of adjustment (this is what Nikon said) and was repaired. I suppose that they sold the repaired lens.

The one 60mm macro is not perfect, but not really bad and I suppose that one would not see that in many real life situations. I am very pedantic after some bad experiences with bad copies and thus I tested this lens very seriously. I think that the one 60mm is still within specifications, but I am not sure about the second copy. Both are not by far as bad as the 35mm turned out to be after testing more precisely. The 35mm is consistently bad in real life shots at the right side.

If they are Nikon dealers, one would think they'd be able to really help you out... I mean if you love the camera, they have got to have some lenses that are the way they should be.

The problem is that there are so many lenses not available at the moment. I also want to complement my Olympus gear by a macro and a fast normal lens and not to replace it. They have had four copies of the 60mm. One copy was returned because its autofocus does not work. They have given me two copies, of which one does not convince me and one is still acceptable, since it produces perfect photographs in real macro work, but it is not perfect. Last week they had two copies of the 35mm, one of which is the bad copy I have tested.

I cannot prolong the decision endlessly. The second copy they had may be sold in the meantime and who knows when the next copies will arrive. I see no point in buying the D5100 with only the 60mm. And I don't want to buy any zoom lens which I already have for my Olympus.

I have returned everything and maybe I should not be so tough against Olympus anymore after this short adventure. Apart from the optical failures I realized again that I really love the quality of larger sensors (the D5100 delivers a tremendously fine image quality), but also that I do not like to carry even the weight of a light DSLR for a longer walk. The higher image quality will probably always be very seductive to me, but at the end of the day I prefer the lesser weight of compact cameras. I am back again.

Sorry to hear of your problems. But welcome back to the world of compacts. I took my DSLR out a few weeks ago after a lapse of a few months and it felt very big and very heavy even though it's quite small by DSLR standards. I still can't bring myself to get rid of it though.

Back