Nikon Showcase Nikon Coolpix A Image Thread

Keeping this alive:

I'm still extremely happy with my choice of the A, here are some more impressions of the last months (all sooc):

Still life with salad:
11809044656_526e1baba3_b.jpg

Ten lost tribes:
11808869614_db0a8d7426_b.jpg

Best tomato soup I ever had:
11810034216_df085b82db_c.jpg

Best Yoghurt I ever had:
11808901915_ef9578a8cc_c.jpg

Still life with airplanes, sign post, and cool lady:
13936374465_cb03751c62_b.jpg

Ray, as always, very inspiring pictures... :)

Do you somewhere have an example step-by-step walkthrough through your (or one example) editing process to link to? Or an article you like or perhaps even learned from? I'm amazed by how crisp the contrasts appear, and by how much the "texture" changes.. I'm not likely to move away from sooc-jpg though, but mostly curious.

Likewise, is there any link where you describe your shooting settings for the A? I've seen a few interviews with and reviews by you, and there are bits and pieces in all of them, but still wanted to ask if you wrote down the essential somewhere for me to read through? This is actually something I'd like to progress with, as I'm only using very few of the setting options offered.

Thanks for any hints,
Paul

Ray, as always, very inspiring pictures... :)

Do you somewhere have an example step-by-step walkthrough through your (or one example) editing process to link to? Or an article you like or perhaps even learned from? I'm amazed by how crisp the contrasts appear, and by how much the "texture" changes.. I'm not likely to move away from sooc-jpg though, but mostly curious.

Likewise, is there any link where you describe your shooting settings for the A? I've seen a few interviews with and reviews by you, and there are bits and pieces in all of them, but still wanted to ask if you wrote down the essential somewhere for me to read through? This is actually something I'd like to progress with, as I'm only using very few of the setting options offered.

Thanks for any hints,
Paul

Thanks Paul. I don't think I have any step by step of my editing process, because it's not all that consistent except in the broadest strokes, which I'll outline for you in a minute. In terms of shooting settings, I shoot everything in raw, so none of the image manipulation settings are on or relevant to the output. My main thing with shooting is how I set the camera up to automate so much of the process. First, I use zone focus for pretty much all of my street stuff. So I set the camera to manual focus and almost always use 2 meters as a focus distance, deviating from that only if I'm shooting really close, in which case I'll bring it in to 1 or 1 1/2 meters. I'd go to infinity for landscapes, but I'm usually in auto-focus when I'm not shooting street. In good light, I'll set the aperture at f6.3 which is pretty close to a hyperfocal setting at 2 meters focus distance. In any case, anything I'll ever want to be in focus will be. In low light I'll open the aperture up to f3.5 and know I'm working with a much narrower "zone" of focus, but still everything from about 4 fwwt to 12 or 15 feet or so is in focus, and that works for 90% of my street stuff. In terms of exposure, I have one setting for street and one setting for everything else, each assigned to one of the custom settings on the mode dial. I use auto-ISO for both. For street I set the maximum ISO to 6400 and the minimum shutter speed to 1/500, which only comes down below that when the ISO has reached it's max of 6400 and there's still not enough light to maintain 1/500, at which point it comes down just as much as needed. This is the same logic I'd use if I was controlling the settings manually, so it frees me up not to have to think about exposure other than to adjust exposure compensation as the light situation changes. For non-street work, I still use auto-ISO, but I generally use a maximum ISO of 3200 and a minimum shutter speed of 1/80. For shooting outside of these two basic settings (which are on the custom slots on the mode dial), I just set the dial to A or S or M and adjust things from there. But my two primary settings are always there and ready.

In terms of processing, the broad strokes are importing into Lightroom using a preset with the Nikon lens profile enabled. Then I adjust basic exposure, highlights and shadows, and any NR that's needed there. I'll also adjust contrast and "clarity", but I try not to use more than a touch of either in Lightroom, leaving most of this kind of adjustment for whichever Nik plugin I use. Then I edit the photo further in Silver Efex Pro for B&W or a combination of Viveza and/or Color Efex Pro for color. This is where I do any larger and more area specific edits. I have a few presets or "recipes" I'll check out as starting points, but I always tweak images well beyond whatever I start with. Two controls I use in Silver Efex Pro and Viveza that probably lead to the contrast and "texture" you're seeing are the "structure" and "soft contrast" sliders, but you have to go really easy with these. There's a fine line between just enough and waaaaay too much. I've certainly crossed it quite often, but that's the challenge - to use these controls enough but not too much, which is easy to do. Also, in Color Efex Pro, I'll sometimes include the "Detail Extractor" filter, but that's another one you have to be REALLY careful with or you'll end up with a really cartoonish HDR effect. I rarely use it more than about 25%, sometimes as high as 35% in specific areas of an image, but not universally. That's as specific as I can get. Beyond that, it's just "adjust to taste" and my taste varies a lot day to day, image to image, so I can't really explain anything beyond those general guidelines. Those are the only things consistent enough to even try to explain.

If that's of any use, great. If not, well, you asked for it! ;)

-Ray

Thanks Paul. I don't think I have any step by step of my editing process, because it's not all that consistent except in the broadest strokes, which I'll outline for you in a minute. In terms of shooting settings, I shoot everything in raw, so none of the image manipulation settings are on or relevant to the output. My main thing with shooting is how I set the camera up to automate so much of the process. First, I use zone focus for pretty much all of my street stuff. So I set the camera to manual focus and almost always use 2 meters as a focus distance, deviating from that only if I'm shooting really close, in which case I'll bring it in to 1 or 1 1/2 meters. I'd go to infinity for landscapes, but I'm usually in auto-focus when I'm not shooting street. In good light, I'll set the aperture at f6.3 which is pretty close to a hyperfocal setting at 2 meters focus distance. In any case, anything I'll ever want to be in focus will be. In low light I'll open the aperture up to f3.5 and know I'm working with a much narrower "zone" of focus, but still everything from about 4 fwwt to 12 or 15 feet or so is in focus, and that works for 90% of my street stuff. In terms of exposure, I have one setting for street and one setting for everything else, each assigned to one of the custom settings on the mode dial. I use auto-ISO for both. For street I set the maximum ISO to 6400 and the minimum shutter speed to 1/500, which only comes down below that when the ISO has reached it's max of 6400 and there's still not enough light to maintain 1/500, at which point it comes down just as much as needed. This is the same logic I'd use if I was controlling the settings manually, so it frees me up not to have to think about exposure other than to adjust exposure compensation as the light situation changes. For non-street work, I still use auto-ISO, but I generally use a maximum ISO of 3200 and a minimum shutter speed of 1/80. For shooting outside of these two basic settings (which are on the custom slots on the mode dial), I just set the dial to A or S or M and adjust things from there. But my two primary settings are always there and ready.

In terms of processing, the broad strokes are importing into Lightroom using a preset with the Nikon lens profile enabled. Then I adjust basic exposure, highlights and shadows, and any NR that's needed there. I'll also adjust contrast and "clarity", but I try not to use more than a touch of either in Lightroom, leaving most of this kind of adjustment for whichever Nik plugin I use. Then I edit the photo further in Silver Efex Pro for B&W or a combination of Viveza and/or Color Efex Pro for color. This is where I do any larger and more area specific edits. I have a few presets or "recipes" I'll check out as starting points, but I always tweak images well beyond whatever I start with. Two controls I use in Silver Efex Pro and Viveza that probably lead to the contrast and "texture" you're seeing are the "structure" and "soft contrast" sliders, but you have to go really easy with these. There's a fine line between just enough and waaaaay too much. I've certainly crossed it quite often, but that's the challenge - to use these controls enough but not too much, which is easy to do. Also, in Color Efex Pro, I'll sometimes include the "Detail Extractor" filter, but that's another one you have to be REALLY careful with or you'll end up with a really cartoonish HDR effect. I rarely use it more than about 25%, sometimes as high as 35% in specific areas of an image, but not universally. That's as specific as I can get. Beyond that, it's just "adjust to taste" and my taste varies a lot day to day, image to image, so I can't really explain anything beyond those general guidelines. Those are the only things consistent enough to even try to explain.

If that's of any use, great. If not, well, you asked for it! ;)

-Ray

Thanks for your generosity Ray!

Gary

Ray, I'm only now returning from work travel - thank you so much for your summary. I'll be taking two more trips this month, so hopefully I will find some spare time on the side to experiment with your settings and finding my own ones. As short as the few sentences of the first paragraph appear, there's a lot condensed into them, and it will take me a while to digest and tune into that way of thinking. Your second paragraph, as I said, i won't be going down that road soon, but it is extremely interesting to get a glimpse there, and most certainly others here will find it interesting as well. So thank you again!
All the best, Paul

Even though I am a GR owner, I still enjoy the Coolpix A images.
I would have bought the A if the GR had not been released.

I feel the same about the GR. If the A had not been released, I'd have happily bought the GR. Or even if the A had not been released FIRST, I'd have most likely have bought the GR based on the years I've happily shot with previous Ricoh models (GRD3 and GXR). I probably wouldn't have felt the need to even give the Nikon a look! It was only because I'd had a chance to shoot with the A for a solid month before the GR showed up and had a chance to shoot them back to back extensively that I went with the A. And that decision was basically driven by a fairly small detail in how they handle auto-ISO and minimum shutter speeds that I find particularly critical for how I shoot on the street but would probably be meaningless to many. It was a better choice for me, but not by much.

These two cameras are as close to twin cousins as any I've seen in a while...

-Ray

Yea it was pretty difficult, even using the ground and then tilting upwards and holding. I got several blurry photos but this was the best. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Back