Nikon Nikon A / Ricoh GR / Fuji X70 with the RX100 just to confuse things

I've heard a lot of reviews that mention one handed operation. I know I tend to hold a camera with two hands when changing pretty much anything. So I'm not sure one handed operation would make that much difference for me.

I also shoot two handed most times, but being able to adjust all settings with your right hand use makes everything quicker and seem much more seamless. I REALLY miss that after moving to the A - with the Nikon adjusting ISO and exposure comp with my left hand just feels clunky.

The GR is THE perfect compact camera when it comes to handling IMO.

Interesting thought, if I've not tried the GR, will I miss things I've not tried?
Probably not, unless you know what you are missing ;)
Snap Focus is something everyone seems to mention. I understand how big a plus it would be for street shooting, but other uses? Just curious about uses other times?
Snap focus is very good in low light, if you can estimate (short) distances fairly accurately.

I've had and sold two GRs and a few months later missed them. Few days ago I went to a local store to test the X70. Now I'm on my 3rd GR...

I also shoot two handed most times, but being able to adjust all settings with your right hand use makes everything quicker and seem much more seamless. I REALLY miss that after moving to the A - with the Nikon adjusting ISO and exposure comp with my left hand just feels clunky.

The GR is THE perfect compact camera when it comes to handling IMO.
I mapped the front Fn button on the Coolpix A for exposure comp and I use auto-ISO about 99% of the time, so the Coolpix is a one handed camera for me most of the time. When I switch from AF to MF I need the other hand to flip the switch and turn the focus ring, but I spend a lot of time shooting one handed with it...

-Ray

It is pretty street driven, but the snap or infinity setting works great for me at night when shooting night skies and not trying to lock AF onto something or deal with MF. I can set it to infinity and get some amazing star trails, or snap in low light around f11 for some sunset landscape work. I wouldn't say I use it a ton, but it does come in handy at times.

Yes, it's definitely great for street, but it also comes in handy with kids or other moving targets. Instant shots, with with no shutter lag. Also, great in low light, when focusing is tough, like Casey mentioned. Plus with snap focus, your focus distance is always set, even after turning the camera off and on.

Below was an example of some seagulls that just flew by me - I just tuned on the GR as I lifts it and clicked, no delay. With AF, I would have likely missed them. And with regular MF, it would have had to have my focus distant preset or try to set it quickly.

15576316458_c985914dcd_z.jpg

And I ran, I ran so far away by -Craig's Collection-

I mapped the front Fn button on the Coolpix A for exposure comp and I use auto-ISO about 99% of the time, so the Coolpix is a one handed camera for me most of the time. When I switch from AF to MF I need the other hand to flip the switch and turn the focus ring, but I spend a lot of time shooting one handed with it...

-Ray

Thanks Ray - knew you would have a solution. I'll try that out, should alleviate some of the "drawbacks" of the A.

All this GR talk is giving me the itch to jump back to one, realizing some of the things I loved about it. But really want to hold out for a 24mp version.

Just an idle observation... Two threads below this one, at time of writing, is "The Ricoh GR Image Thread"...

Not the Nikon A Image Thread.
Not the Fuji X70 Image Thread
Not the Sony RX100 Image Thread

...just sayin' ;)
More to the point, the GR thread is much longer than the others. It is certainly the most popular on this forum, although I would bet that the RX100 is easily the most popular camera in general given that it has a zoom vs. a fixed 28. The latter is definitely a niche. Me, I would definitely favor the Leica Q, if I could afford it that is.

The XF1 / XQ1 / XQ2 are interesting I'd probably skip the XQ1 though. The reviews of the XQ2 say the AF is one of the improvements. The XF1 is interesting because I do prefer a manual lens.

The AF in my Fuji XQ1 always worked fine. Since it's based on contrast detection, you do have to point it to areas with sufficient contrast. A sample photo:

15885982801_fe12ccdf88_c.jpg
grand_canyon
by D Payne, on Flickr

David: Size-wise, the X30 doesn't really have an advantage over the LX100 ... :hide:

M.
I know, but it doesn't have a power zoom. I wonder why there aren't more enthusiasts compacts or super zooms with a manual zoom lens? They could have the collapsing action like the X30, Panasonic 12-32, or 35-100 and power on like the X30. It's such a nice mechanical / physical feel. You'd also lose the motor and zoom switches.

Quite. This is why my zoom compact of choice is still an X20. Manual zoom AND OVF, and none of that twisty-touchy screen nonsense. Although a bit long in the tooth now I still love it.
Well, X10, but I generally agree with you :flowers_2:. I have to admit however, my wife's RX100 has been in my pocket more than I like to admit precisely because it fits in my pocket. The many ergonomic sins of the the RX100 series can be overlooked for the advantages of good IQ in your pocket. I find this becomes increasingly important as I go to places where I need to have nothing in my hands, around my neck, etc., most of the day. It also comes out the pocket ready to shoot very quickly. There's a reason this series is on iteration 4.

With the introduction of the X70 I'm looking at these again.
I have Nikon FX gear and a Panasonic GX85. I'd like something smaller than the GX85. Grab and go, stick in my jacket / cargo pants pocket. But not really street shooting grabs so AF is important but I think any of these should work.

Options I'm looking at:

Nikon A - Right size, AF OK but not great and gets worse as the light goes does according to reviews. But since I shoot Nikon I know the menus, files, etc. Actually owned a D7000 with the 16mp sensor. And they can be found for under $300 it you take your time.

Ricoh GR - Good reviews here and everywhere. Though as with everything there are compromises. But it's built a following the Nikon A was not really able to so prices are notably higher.

X100s - To big I think, while thinner the overall size is just too big.

X70 - Not as sharp as the Nikon and Ricoh based on reports. Is it really noticeable on screen? Full screen 2K 25"/27" monitor, not taking 100% pixel peeping. Tilting and touch screen are really big pluses to me. But since it's the newest, it's the most expensive. And since I'm not 100% how much I'll end up using it I'm not sure I want to spend this much.

The RX100 mkI / II would also work and probably in the same price range. I've owned the RX100 mkI before. It was fine, it would do the job. In some respects it would probably work better for me with the zoom. But I'm REALLY not a fan of power zooms. I've owned 2 LX100s and sold them both. But I think in the end I was expecting more from them then just a quick snap camera.
With the introduction of the X70 I'm looking at these again.
I have Nikon FX gear and a Panasonic GX85. I'd like something smaller than the GX85. Grab and go, stick in my jacket / cargo pants pocket. But not really street shooting grabs so AF is important but I think any of these should work.

Options I'm looking at:

Nikon A - Right size, AF OK but not great and gets worse as the light goes does according to reviews. But since I shoot Nikon I know the menus, files, etc. Actually owned a D7000 with the 16mp sensor. And they can be found for under $300 it you take your time.

Ricoh GR - Good reviews here and everywhere. Though as with everything there are compromises. But it's built a following the Nikon A was not really able to so prices are notably higher.

X100s - To big I think, while thinner the overall size is just too big.

X70 - Not as sharp as the Nikon and Ricoh based on reports. Is it really noticeable on screen? Full screen 2K 25"/27" monitor, not taking 100% pixel peeping. Tilting and touch screen are really big pluses to me. But since it's the newest, it's the most expensive. And since I'm not 100% how much I'll end up using it I'm not sure I want to spend this much.

The RX100 mkI / II would also work and probably in the same price range. I've owned the RX100 mkI before. It was fine, it would do the job. In some respects it would probably work better for me with the zoom. But I'm REALLY not a fan of power zooms. I've owned 2 LX100s and sold them both. But I think in the end I was expecting more from them then just a quick snap camera.

Given your background - that you own and use Nikon FX gear - the Coolpix A has one huge (and probably obvious) advantage --- namely that as a Nikon user you are basically already familiar with Nikon menus. And, honestly, in this day and age of more and more powerful compact cameras which are also either gifted with - or saddled down with (depending on your perspective) more and more complicated (and theoretically powerful) menus and menu choices - a passing familiarity with the underlying menus of your (new) camera ain't something to be sneezed at. In fact, were I in your metaphoric shoes, that would be a big consideration.

Incidentally I currently have and used (and love) a number of excellent Panasonic mu43 cameras, including the diminutive GM5 and the jack-of-all-trades GX7 (which btw is the direct precursor and almost literal clone of your GX85) - and being quite familiar with (and generally liking, or at least understanding) Panasonic's menus .... I must confess to being partial to using things that I am familiar with and instinctively understand. If there was a very very high quality fixed-lens compact camera with similar specs to either the GR or the Coolpix A, but made by Panasonic/Lumix with Panasonic Menus .... I probably would seriously consider it. (Personal note: I used to have, and quite love, the LX7 but its larger and heavier replacement, the LX100, never really floated my metaphoric boat, so I haven't been remotely tempted.)

But back to your original question and your original options. As I said, the Coolpix A seems logical because of the Nikon Menus. It's also a truly fine camera; I have one on loan now and am considering making the loan permanent. It does almost everything well, simply and easily, has a fabulous lens which apparently was tailor-made and perfectly mated to the sensor, and its relatively simple (but powerful enough for me) combination of physical buttons and simple (have I overused the adjective 'simple' here?) menu controls make it a wonderful semi-pocketable and incredibly high compact.

The GR (and its successor the GR II) are wonderful cameras too. Owned one for several years, finally sold it. And to be totally honest, part of the reason why is/was the Ricoh Menu system. Many love it. I don't number myself among them. It always seemed messy, overly complicated, and never quite 'instinctive' enough for my needs, uses, wishes and desires. That said, the camera itself is one of the most beatifully designed pieces of photographic hardware I've ever used. And like the Coolpix A, the combination of lens + sensor was designed, built and optimized by engineers (and photographers) with a good sense of what they were doing. So, yeah - it's fun to use. And it's neck and neck with the Coolpix A in the department of being able to produce truly wonderful (IQ wise and image wise) photographs.

But if you don't take to that menu .... good luck.

For the others on your list, ditto the menu comments for the Sony RX100. Additionally, it always has seemed more of a piece of clever electronics than a camera - just my own irrational prejudices, I know - so for me, in spite of the wonderfully tiny size, I'm not a fan.

Fujis, which I've never used, seem to have logical and semi-simple menus, and usually more analog controls than anyone could ever wish for. All of that is a huge plus for me and honestly, the one thing that would hold me back, were I making the choice today, would be the relatively high price of what is a newer piece of technology. If money were no object, an X70 would be truly tempting.

But the other side of the coin is that the GR's are more affordable now that the GR II is out (though they still maintain quite high resale values) - and the Coolpix A's, if and when you can find them, are probably shaping up to be the bargain of the bunch.

Being someone who practices what I preach occasionally, I'm now using my loaner Coolpix A more than any of my other cameras ... and, honestly, have only glowing superlatives for both its user/photographer interface (how it handles) - and the quality of its images. A technically savvy photographer friend of mine gave me a long lecture on the microcontrast which Nikon engineers apparently designed or engineered into the glass and construction of the 28mm equivalent Coolpix lens - and insists that there are technical reasons why its digital negatives (and, to be honest, those of the Ricoh GR) are so great.

But being just a subjective and non-tech-obsessed photographer, ease of use is more important for me.

Bottom line should be obvious by now - try to the extent possible to play around with them all .... and go for the one you enjoy using the most. Because that should be, in many real ways, the best one for you.

Miguel

P.S. A final thing that makes me prefer the Coolpix A to the GR is the manual focus ring - which has a nice (to me) feel to it - and has turned out to be much, much, much more useful than I ever imagined. Manual focusing on the GR was, to put it simply, a complicated chore; on the Coolpix A, it merely involves flicking a switch (to go into MF mode) and then turning that ring. May sound like just a small thing....but to me, it's huge.

First, thanks for all the information.

Given your background - that you own and use Nikon FX gear - the Coolpix A has one huge (and probably obvious) advantage --- namely that as a Nikon user you are basically already familiar with Nikon menus. And, honestly, in this day and age of more and more powerful compact cameras which are also either gifted with - or saddled down with (depending on your perspective) more and more complicated (and theoretically powerful) menus and menu choices - a passing familiarity with the underlying menus of your (new) camera ain't something to be sneezed at. In fact, were I in your metaphoric shoes, that would be a big consideration.......

Familiarity with the system is something I've considered and why I've been leaning toward the A over the GR.

.....Incidentally I currently have and used (and love) a number of excellent Panasonic mu43 cameras, including the diminutive GM5 and the jack-of-all-trades GX7 (which btw is the direct precursor and almost literal clone of your GX85) - and being quite familiar with (and generally liking, or at least understanding) Panasonic's menus .... I must confess to being partial to using things that I am familiar with and instinctively understand. If there was a very very high quality fixed-lens compact camera with similar specs to either the GR or the Coolpix A, but made by Panasonic/Lumix with Panasonic Menus .... I probably would seriously consider it. (Personal note: I used to have, and quite love, the LX7 but its larger and heavier replacement, the LX100, never really floated my metaphoric boat, so I haven't been remotely tempted.)....

But I'm reasonably flexible and comfortable with a few other systems as well. I've owned 6 Olympus and Panasonic bodies (E-PM1, E-P5, E-M1, E-M10, E-M10 mkII, E-M5 mkII, GX1, GX7, GM1, GM5, LX100, and now the GX85). Plus a Sony RX100 mkI and Fuji X-M1. I know I have a problem.:rolleyes: I've owned two LX100s, I've enjoyed them but the power zoom just makes them fell sluggish.

......For the others on your list, ditto the menu comments for the Sony RX100. Additionally, it always has seemed more of a piece of clever electronics than a camera - just my own irrational prejudices, I know - so for me, in spite of the wonderfully tiny size, I'm not a fan......

Good description "clever electronics". I compare the RX100 vs LX100 as a point and shoot that has advanced features and manual options versus a manual function camera with lots of advanced features that can be used like a point and shoot.

......But back to your original question and your original options. As I said, the Coolpix A seems logical because of the Nikon Menus. It's also a truly fine camera; I have one on loan now and am considering making the loan permanent. It does almost everything well, simply and easily, has a fabulous lens which apparently was tailor-made and perfectly mated to the sensor, and its relatively simple (but powerful enough for me) combination of physical buttons and simple (have I overused the adjective 'simple' here?) menu controls make it a wonderful semi-pocketable and incredibly high compact.

The GR (and its successor the GR II) are wonderful cameras too. Owned one for several years, finally sold it. And to be totally honest, part of the reason why is/was the Ricoh Menu system. Many love it. I don't number myself among them. It always seemed messy, overly complicated, and never quite 'instinctive' enough for my needs, uses, wishes and desires. That said, the camera itself is one of the most beatifully designed pieces of photographic hardware I've ever used. And like the Coolpix A, the combination of lens + sensor was designed, built and optimized by engineers (and photographers) with a good sense of what they were doing. So, yeah - it's fun to use. And it's neck and neck with the Coolpix A in the department of being able to produce truly wonderful (IQ wise and image wise) photographs.

But if you don't take to that menu .... good luck.

Fujis, which I've never used, seem to have logical and semi-simple menus, and usually more analog controls than anyone could ever wish for. All of that is a huge plus for me and honestly, the one thing that would hold me back, were I making the choice today, would be the relatively high price of what is a newer piece of technology. If money were no object, an X70 would be truly tempting.

But the other side of the coin is that the GR's are more affordable now that the GR II is out (though they still maintain quite high resale values) - and the Coolpix A's, if and when you can find them, are probably shaping up to be the bargain of the bunch.

Being someone who practices what I preach occasionally, I'm now using my loaner Coolpix A more than any of my other cameras ... and, honestly, have only glowing superlatives for both its user/photographer interface (how it handles) - and the quality of its images. A technically savvy photographer friend of mine gave me a long lecture on the microcontrast which Nikon engineers apparently designed or engineered into the glass and construction of the 28mm equivalent Coolpix lens - and insists that there are technical reasons why its digital negatives (and, to be honest, those of the Ricoh GR) are so great.

But being just a subjective and non-tech-obsessed photographer, ease of use is more important for me.

Bottom line should be obvious by now - try to the extent possible to play around with them all .... and go for the one you enjoy using the most. Because that should be, in many real ways, the best one for you.

Miguel

P.S. A final thing that makes me prefer the Coolpix A to the GR is the manual focus ring - which has a nice (to me) feel to it - and has turned out to be much, much, much more useful than I ever imagined. Manual focusing on the GR was, to put it simply, a complicated chore; on the Coolpix A, it merely involves flicking a switch (to go into MF mode) and then turning that ring. May sound like just a small thing....but to me, it's huge.

If money weren't an issue I'd probably just pick up an X70. But price is an issue so I'm watch eBay and a bunch of other sites for options. I tend to be patient.

I went through a very similar quest not long ago.
I've owned the GR, A, X100(s), and LX100.
All were great but never really lasted long in my bag because I felt that I never really utilized the niche that these cameras provided.

I currently have the A. I am a long time Nikon DX/FX user so the UI is second nature. I do appreciate and use the auto ISO. I also wish that it saved MF distance between power ups. I am learning Ray's muscle memory technique and find that to work pretty well. And I have been using and enjoying it in the pocket. Something I never really did with my previous GR and A.

GR. My tag line under my user name still carries it. I really liked it and could've easily picked up another but as you mentioned the used market value carries too well.

X100. A really fun camera but I prefer the 28 vs. 35. And you need bigger pockets. The X70 seems like a very viable solution. Something I may try later.

LX100. Both times I tried it as a system replacement camera. It was almost doable. As a supplement I like other choices better.

I picked up mine recently from 42nd street photo. It was new but without USA Nikon warranty. Gray market? They were listed there for a long time at $349 but now are $499. Maybe keep an eye out there. Or the used boards, I tend to cycle through gear pretty quickly.

My ten cents, from a position of having a significant investment in Fuji bodies and lenses?

Ricoh GR.

There is just something about the GR that sets it apart. It trounced the Nikon head to head, and is still capable of seeing off the young pretender X70. In 16mp fixed lens 28mm equivalent-land it is the daddy.

Mine goes along with me wherever and whenever I don't want to weigh myself down with a camera. It is light, discreet, and capable and works like an extension of my hand and eye, thereby getting around the lack of viewfinder. It is robust - I drove over my GRD III and it was put back in action by Ricoh for less than 60 Euros.

What's not to like? Go GR.

Love my GR, but it suddenly had dust on the sensor (I do not live in a dry, dusty, country), and the price for the cleaning was about 30% of its price, when new.

Then I found out that this is a pretty common problem, this dust issue, so I will be wary of buying another compact camera from Ricoh.

And it has taken some of the charm from the camera as well.

But other manufacturers could learn a lot from the way this camera's layout and features are arranged. I used to own a similar-sized NEX-5N, and that one was a horror compared to the GR, when it came to layout, and menu system.

Back