Nikon Nikon 1 V3

The new lens price is in the Canon 70-300 L lens territory. Now we are pushing the limits of lenses esp w/ these high MP sensor cameras... I was happy w/ cheap Canon 70-300mm IS, of course w/ 10MP apsc and 12.8MP FF cameras. It seems OK w/ 36MP A7R but af is too slow.

The fast AF is a big plus. After that, the EM10 with the kit lens can be had for 2/3 the price. It will be interesting to see if the Nikon name and faster AF can carry the day.

I am very interested in this one. The V2 was a dud in many ways, a step back with some specs and of coarse the odd styling. This V3 is very nice looking. The EVF is not great looking but it isn't ugly either and if it works that is what really matters. It sticks up a lot less than the VF2/3/4 on Olympus PENs but it doesn't tilt either. I really like the add-on grip{idea stolen from Olympus?}. However it looks like the grip has to be removed to change the battery.

A couple of weird things with the V3, it uses micro-SD cards and the full kit only for the USA. First off - why micro-SD??? They work fine but are hard to insert and eject and very easy to loose. Then there is the kit - fine for some but the lens is very beginner oriented but the body is high end - confusing! I wish they had made it a kit with the grip and EVF but no lens for $899.

I am very interested in this one. The V2 was a dud in many ways, a step back with some specs and of coarse the odd styling. This V3 is very nice looking. The EVF is not great looking but it isn't ugly either and if it works that is what really matters. It sticks up a lot less than the VF2/3/4 on Olympus PENs but it doesn't tilt either. I really like the add-on grip{idea stolen from Olympus?}. However it looks like the grip has to be removed to change the battery.

A couple of weird things with the V3, it uses micro-SD cards and the full kit only for the USA. First off - why micro-SD??? They work fine but are hard to insert and eject and very easy to loose. Then there is the kit - fine for some but the lens is very beginner oriented but the body is high end - confusing! I wish they had made it a kit with the grip and EVF but no lens for $899.
Yes, that would make much more sense.

... I wish they had made it a kit with the grip and EVF but no lens for $899.

Yes, that would make much more sense.

Agree as well, but I think my price point was about $700, though I was sure it wouldn't be that low.

I didn't pay much attention to the V2, bit it seems like the price held fairly well (at least compared to the V1). Given that, I am not expecting to see the V3 plunge too dramatically.

Agree as well, but I think my price point was about $700,

When it come to price - less is always better! The $899 is simply the $1199 minus $300 for the kit lens{which is it's price}. Of coarse you can always buy the kit and then sell the lens. I bet some will show up on ebay the week after they ship.

I don't know how the speed compared w/ Nikon 70-300mm dslr lens, at least it will be silent and maybe faster w/ 20fps. Here is the size w/ camera, a little tight for fingers:

Nikon-1-V3-with-Nikkor-70-300mm-f4.5-5.6-VR.jpg

For the folks that like to preach 'size matters' you won't find that full frame equivalent, native glass, & body in any smaller of a package.....

I am guessing that there are not many 1" sensor cameras to compare. It is dxo that puts the comparison. They put 1/1.7" sensor comparison also. m43 is always compared to apsc as they were much behind and they caught up w/ bigger sensor last couple years. Here is how it is compared to RX10, RX100 eg RX10 sensor squeezes more dynamic range then some m43 Panasonic sensors like gm1:
Bildschirmfoto2014-03-20um190335_zpsfffa9011.png

Looking at that lot, its seems the V1 was actually the best overall (relatively speaking). I'm not sure why they keep comparing the Nikon 1 stuff with MFT, though, its a bit like apples and oranges, don't you think? I would expect MFT cameras to "beat" the 1" variety every time... oh well...

Back