Micro 4/3 Nikon 1 Mirrorless camera announced - M43 can rest easy

it's possible that since the sensor is only 10mp, that the noise and DR characteristics are similar to m4/3. Loss of DOF control can only be gained with faster lenses.

I have no problem with a smaller sensor if the camera overall is smaller. But looking at the V1 with it's lenses, the camera doesn't look any smaller than mFT.

This camera would be so funky in pink! If I were to buy one it would be pink with a pink lens a pink case and a pink strap as this would p1ss-off all my macho gear head camera collector friends. But I won’t be buying a new Nikon J1 or V1. Not that I don’t think they will sell. In fact I think they well sell like hot cakes as they are really hip. While the price to get in is a tad high for my liking all the lenses and accessories are very reasonable … Olympus, Panasonic, take a hint on this one.

The thing is while I like the concept I am not nor have ever been a fan of small sensors. It is not that small sensors are bad it is just that by nature they have lots of DOF and for better or worse that is not my stick. Give me a large sensor and a f/2 or better lens and I am happy.

Still a pink camera would be so cool …

Grant, I'm with ya on the Pink. It's the perfect tourist camera. It would never be ripped from your neck and you would blend in the crowd easily.
My only issue at all with Nikon is, was and probably will be...customer service.
I stopped using Nikon for that reason alone.

Luckypenguin, imagine a Canon full-frame mirrorless camera at the price point of 7D. I will kill for such a thing!

Actually I've already designed the first Canon APS-C mirrorless camera in my head. It will be a mix of the G-series and the EOS (GEOS?) including flip screen. The lens mount will be the same EF mount found on EOS DSLRs, with the majority of the lens sitting inside the mount (rear lens caps are enormous :D). Electronic focus ring is mounted on the camera body behind the lens mount. Zoom ring (where applicable) on the lens body. Existing EF and EFS lenses fit without adapter, with a flip-down translucent mirror inside the body for PDAF. Native lenses are EFSS (super-short back focus).

Have I thought about this too much?

Back