NEX5 Six Weeks Later

I for one will hope that rumor is right, Ray! I would buy that lens in a heartbeat. I got the NEX-5 this past Monday and I absolutely love it. I second everything Olli said in this thread. I really believe this camera has been plagued by confusion and misinformation and therefore has been underrated. I find it at least as easy to use as the EPL-1, maybe easier, the kit lens is just fine for getting started, and you simply can't argue with the excellent image quality (even at higher ISOs), at least when shooting RAW. I am going out to play with it some more right now!

I for one will hope that rumor is right, Ray! I would buy that lens in a heartbeat. I got the NEX-5 this past Monday and I absolutely love it. I second everything Olli said in this thread. I really believe this camera has been plagued by confusion and misinformation and therefore has been underrated. I find it at least as easy to use as the EPL-1, maybe easier, the kit lens is just fine for getting started, and you simply can't argue with the excellent image quality (even at higher ISOs), at least when shooting RAW. I am going out to play with it some more right now!

I find it way easier than the epl1 and on par with the gf1 and gh2 (but missing a couple of functions it would be nice to have). To me, the epl1 was always a bit of an ergonomic nightmare with nothing but buttons - I always had to THINK to do anything. That just gets me in trouble...

-Ray

Ray, I was playing with the EPL-1 this evening and I think the NEX is easier for me to navigate, too. On the Oly I tend to push buttons by accident and to push the wrong button trying to change settings. Also, the EPL-1 and NEX are so different in the way you control both shooting and review of images that it's not easy going back and forth between them. However, I love the Oly colors and art filters, as well as the very useful little flash and the optional viewfinder. For me the Oly with its flash (and the Panny 20mm) is great for family photos indoors, and I'm not yet sure the NEX will be. Its flash seems near worthless to me since I can't even make it stay on the camera so far, and I don't find the white balance easy to work with indoors. However, I need a lot more practice with the NEX, including Handheld Twilight, before I reach a conclusion on that. I'm most excited about NEX image quality, including high ISO performance, fine detail, and dynamic range ( I left Auto DRO on and it seems to help). I would have bought it much sooner if it hadn't been criticized so much in forums. I do hope they give us a better flash and a viewfinder option for those who like VFs, and as Olli pointed out, we could use a firmware upgrade to make HDR easier to access, esp. when you usually shoot RAW. I've been a Nikon user since 1979 and never dreamed I would be gushing about Sony, but they appear to be one to watch because they're so innovative. The A33 and A55 look very interesting, too.

Armanius, I moved here from a city and get frustrated at times with the pace of small-town life, but nature photography is the saving grace. I always enjoy Houston, esp. eating out, and going to the Museum of Fine Arts, the butterfly museum, and that whole part of town.

Back