Sony NEX and Metabones EF to E mount

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Name
Dan
Macro has long been one of my favorite forms of photography. The world of small things is always around us and does not require travel to exotic places. For many years my macro equipment has been Nikon. Some of these lenses have manual apertures so I have been able to adapt them to the Sony NEX cameras. However, I have long envied Canon users for one lens in their lineup, the MP-E 65mm 1-5x macro lens. No other maker has a lens to equal this one for macro work. I thought to use it on NEX but it does not have a manual aperture ring. Metabones to the rescue. They have produced an adapter that is a wonder for all photographers who want to use Canon lenses on NEX cameras. It has full electrical contacts that allow the camera to set f-stops electronically, and it works beautifully. It also records basic camera data. The following photos were taken using this rig and the Sony HV60 flash. These are mostly above 1x, some as strong as 3x plus. They were taken with the NEX 6 and the NEX 7, mostly hand held.

Penny4.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Skink1x.jpg

SkinkTeeth.jpg

FlowerHeart3.jpg

FlowerHeart2.jpg

USpider.jpg

One more with the NEX7 and Canon 1-5x

Extreme close-up of the head of a Steel-blue Cricket Hunter Wasp:
DSC00149.jpg

It looks like there is not much interest in extreme close-ups here, but I am having fun with it, and again this Metabones adapter is fantastic for anyone who uses NEX and has Canon lenses.

Back