Sony Nex 5n image quality

Andy, this is supposed to be true. The issue with the Nex cameras was the lenses.
I used my legacy glass with the Nex 5 and to tell the truth, it's unreal. I sold it but realize now that I miss it. So to really probe for a correct answer, one has to keep the lens in the equation. I'll have a GXR in a few days and that camera will eliminate my missing the Nex.
The camera to wait for is the Nex7.
That with the new 24 or legacy glass will be a benchmark camera.
Don

Don, congrats!
At the moment only the 28mm module is in front of my GXR, the Mount is in backorder. Can't wait to put the Leicalenses in front and test it. Compare to the NEX7 the sensor is really taylormade but we have to wait......
For NEX lens shooters with only a few shots with adapted glass it could be that the 7 is better, as already on paper. The other way round with more or only M-glass it might be contrary. We have time.......and enough hardware...... ;-)

Heather....close your eyes.....
Breathe slowly.... Now think GXR with 28....
I still like you but my wife doesn't...

Bernd. My daughter bought me the body with the 24-72 and the 28mm.
The zoom I'll sell cause I hate zoomies....
The 28 with the APS sensor will be a joy for sure.
I won't use my Leica glass cause I just won't.

Heather...feel better...
Donnie

The key point is that the GXR module is designed with Leica lenses in mind, but the NEX 7 is and will always be an unoptimised compromise. This will particularly show with wideangles.

Andy, have you tried the Nex? I am actually very interested in what you see in your hands at the store. Have they done anything with the interface?... please advise....

I have had a quick play and apart from the menu looking a bit different it's exactly the same. The rear screen is nicer and touch sensitive but it's the IQ that I'm most interested. I have always said that the NEX is superb with a decent lens and it would be interesting to see if the IQ has improved over the old 5.

Andy, I'm thinking the bog change is the 7. When you say the screen is nicer, in what way?
I loved the 5 screen especially on sunny mode. Simply put, it's the best out there.
What say you kind camera shop assistant sir?

Hi Don

The rear screen did look sharper. The bits that were in focus were stunningly sharp on screen. Also the 5n has the ability to show in focus areas as specific colours. I can't remember what it's called but if using manual either with AF or old MF lens, whatever is in focus shows as a different colour, I think it's red on the 5n. This is a really helpful feature if using MF lenses and it's something that really interests me as I can get the right bit in focus without having to zoom in! Clever stuff!

Yessir..... that's called Peaking. I had that on my Nex5 and used either Red or Yellow. Red was easier in low light.
That feature is amazing. I've never enjoyed a screen from any camera like that of the Nex5.

Heather....close your eyes.....
Breathe slowly.... Now think GXR with 28....
I still like you but my wife doesn't...

Bernd. My daughter bought me the body with the 24-72 and the 28mm.
The zoom I'll sell cause I hate zoomies....
The 28 with the APS sensor will be a joy for sure.
I won't use my Leica glass cause I just won't.

Heather...feel better...
Donnie

I'm looking forward to your work with the GXR Don. Mine's still, huh, well its at home is all I can say. Do you think you'll add the VF-2 EVF to the kit?

If this had come out when i had my Nex5 then i would have probably kept it!! It's such a great feature and the nex is so good with MF lenses. Now the 5n is due the prices of the old 5 are coming down. This could be a good step. I asume it's firmware version 4?

Andy, when I used the Nex 5 with peaking, it was amazing. In any light I could focus my Leica's. I just hate a crop factor with them. Crazy thing is, I love my Canon and Oly lenses and don't mind the crop.
I am anxious to see the Nex7. It could be the wave of the future. If the finder is RIGHT, it will draw many to it.

Duane, no finder required for GXR.

Andy, that's the coolest thing. If one understands DOF, what happens is this.
Wide open you see the focus point in red. Anything in the frame at that distance is red. As you stop down and DOF increases, you can see the red growing in the DOF range.
It's a miracle I tell ya.
There exist nothing superior for MF of any lens.
In time all cameras will have this feature or they won't sell.
You do not need a VF for MF with focus peaking. It is more critical than any EVF.

Your not waiting on the 7? My daughter is thinking about the 7 cause she can use my M glass. She had the 5 but sold it and now misses it as everyone else does that sells it.

Back