1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New XT100

Discussion in 'Fuji' started by drd1135, May 24, 2018.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    The new XT100 is $599 and has a reasonable feature set and a 24 MP Bayer sensor. It seems like a very attractive entry level camera if you like the SLR format.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Top Veteran

Feb 6, 2015
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Might be interesting for adapted lenses.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm glad to see Fuji offering an olive branch to the woefully underserved champagne finish crowd.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rayvonn

rayvonn All-Pro

Jan 19, 2015
    I didn't really see the need for it given the other models currently available. Can't just be the cheaper price is it?

5. Just another option for "newbies" IMO. Certainly can't replace what is already available except the XA series.

6. drd1135

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    That’s certainly part of it.

7. Richard

Richard Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    If you want an XA with a viewfinder and the traditional SLR look appeals, then this will make sense.

-R

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. drd1135

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    Now Fuji, like others, has a rangefinder and slr style camera at each price point. For me, I would certainly buy this over the XA for the EVF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Top Veteran

Feb 6, 2015
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    it's a departure from the manual control scheme as well. Has the PASM dial which other fuji cameras do not.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. I have been mizzling over an XA5 for ages, but the EVF sells this, for me, as well as the price and bayer filter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. christilou

christilou Legend

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I liked the Bayer of the X Pro 1 series.....

12. Mike G

Mike G Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    West London
    Mike Gorman
    The X-Pro1 had an Xtrans sensor not a Bayer sensor!

13. bartjeej

bartjeej Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Yup, I'd be excited for Fuji to go Bayer only. Xtrans might've had some benefit for 16mp sensors, but at 24mp the benefits and downsides in terms of iq potential seem to cancel each other put, and all you're left with is files that not all software can work with...

14. Bobby Tingle

Bobby Tingle Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    At the $599 price point, it will have built in competition from used X-T1's.

15. Beg to differ.....
    All you're left with are great images that you don't have to molest in aftermarket software! :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. So right, Andy!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. bartjeej

bartjeej Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I love fuji's jpegs but sometimes you envision something else than the jpeg engineers (as a side note, the jpegs are nicely judged but rarely resemble actual film).

For me i want something else than the jpeg in about 30 - 50% of the "keepers", and I'd rather edit the raw file instead of the jpeg in 95% of the images I wish to print. And in those cases, having more flexibility in editing is desirable, hence my desire for Bayer X camera's.

And on a final note, I've lost count of the number of times that I've read that Xtrans jpegs, while nice, still don't look quite as nice as the original X100.

18. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle

To each their own and whatnot, but, as a long-time user of both (original X100 and XT1), I find a FEW kinds of scenes where the X100 does surprise me happily, but in most cases I prefer the X-Trans. In the right kind of light, the old Bayer does some neat things. In every other kind of light (read: what you're stuck with 95% of the time) the X Trans is the one that digs deep and pulls out a good image. ...For Me...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. drd1135

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    The purpose of this camera is sales.The low price will attract some new folks to try Fuji. Most of these newbies won't even think of the used market for XT1.

20. For me its about economics as well as that which I referred to above. I simply cannot afford even a used XT1. And TBH I prefer to have a warranty with my camera purchases. IN any case... the XT100 is still going to be more than I can afford (at least $1099 body only, over here), so once more I shall content myself with my now less than stellar X100.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.