Fuji New XT100

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
The new XT100 is $599 and has a reasonable feature set and a 24 MP Bayer sensor. It seems like a very attractive entry level camera if you like the SLR format.

Yup, I'd be excited for Fuji to go Bayer only. Xtrans might've had some benefit for 16mp sensors, but at 24mp the benefits and downsides in terms of iq potential seem to cancel each other put, and all you're left with is files that not all software can work with...

Yup, I'd be excited for Fuji to go Bayer only. Xtrans might've had some benefit for 16mp sensors, but at 24mp the benefits and downsides in terms of iq potential seem to cancel each other put, and all you're left with is files that not all software can work with...
Beg to differ.....
All you're left with are great images that you don't have to molest in aftermarket software! :2thumbs:

I love fuji's jpegs but sometimes you envision something else than the jpeg engineers (as a side note, the jpegs are nicely judged but rarely resemble actual film).

For me i want something else than the jpeg in about 30 - 50% of the "keepers", and I'd rather edit the raw file instead of the jpeg in 95% of the images I wish to print. And in those cases, having more flexibility in editing is desirable, hence my desire for Bayer X camera's.

And on a final note, I've lost count of the number of times that I've read that Xtrans jpegs, while nice, still don't look quite as nice as the original X100.

And on a final note, I've lost count of the number of times that I've read that Xtrans jpegs, while nice, still don't look quite as nice as the original X100.

To each their own and whatnot, but, as a long-time user of both (original X100 and XT1), I find a FEW kinds of scenes where the X100 does surprise me happily, but in most cases I prefer the X-Trans. In the right kind of light, the old Bayer does some neat things. In every other kind of light (read: what you're stuck with 95% of the time) the X Trans is the one that digs deep and pulls out a good image. ...For Me...

The purpose of this camera is sales.The low price will attract some new folks to try Fuji. Most of these newbies won't even think of the used market for XT1.

For me its about economics as well as that which I referred to above. I simply cannot afford even a used XT1. And TBH I prefer to have a warranty with my camera purchases. IN any case... the XT100 is still going to be more than I can afford (at least $1099 body only, over here), so once more I shall content myself with my now less than stellar X100.

Back