Sony new to rx1 question

rbelyell

All-Pro
just received my rx1 kit and am pretty excited, though ive been limited to home test shots due to weather etc.

i'm a jpeg shooter, and one thing i loved about my x100, gxr or any oly m4/3 ive used is ability to 'film' bracket, or shoot 'normal', vivid and b&w at the same time. it appears, outside of raw+jpeg, this $3000 gem cant accomodate that, is that correct?

Not that I'm aware of...

I would say something snobby like 'it's not made to do tricks' but then it's got Sony's cool and/or obnoxious (depending on point of view) "illustration" and "watercolor" effects, so I guess I can't get away with saying it's not made to do tricks. Just not that one...

-Ray

gosh ray, is shooting simultaneous color and b&w really considered a 'trick'? to me it just saves a couple of PP steps as i like to see side by side color/bw comparisons in pretty much everything i shoot, and have considered it the magic of digital, compared to film, since my first 2mp digicam. and often i like to set in camera parameters, esp for bw, as i often like that ooc rather than what i get PPing. didnt think i was way off base there in the purity dept!

Tony, I think you may have missed Ray's joke. He was playing the role of a "purist" putting down those kinds of "tricks". But I know Ray uses them (when I bought a Fuji from Ray, it was set to simulation bracketing......something I found useful, but had never tried), and you're right that it is helpful to see these done in camera. I like some of the in camera Sony filters, but there is no way to bracket them or have multiple ones done at the same time to my knowledge.

well its nice that folks here are so quick to try and help. i love that film bracketing, and all olys have it, and my gxr let you shoot color and bw simultaneously. i just like seeing those different versions side by side. and imo, my shots are not good enough to take up the computer space and
PP time demanded by raw, as i could set jpeg to bw, shoot raw plus jpeg and get my side by sides.

thats kinda funny, isnt it, that sony doesnt allow that jpeg flexibility when nearly everyone else does. is that true of their nex line?

Sorry, Luke's right - I was just sort of poking fun at some of the purity threads around lately. Joke missed it's mark - my bad. I think Sony includes and doesn't include roughly these same features in the Nex line, the RX100, and the RX10, if memory serves.

-Ray

well that bugaboo aside, i really like the feel of the camera, both with and without the RGS grip that came with my kit. i also like the evf better than any ive used personally, including the oly vf4. some of the results ive gotten, from just shooting around the house, are stunning; some ordinary. but i enjoy using the thing, and thats a real positive. hopefully the weather turns and i can go on a couple of shoots...

Back