New Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Announced

Amin

Hall of Famer
Nikon just introduced an interesting new portrait lens for the Nikon 1 system, a 32mm f/1.2 lens, offering an 86mm equivalent angle of view with depth of field control equal to that of an f/3.2 full frame lens. This is a premium lens with their silent wave autofocus, Nano Crystal Coat, manual focus override, metal barrel, and floating lens element design.

Available for pre-order at B&H in Black or Silver

8738950214_57279af87b_o.png

Yeah, that's an impressive looking lens no matter how you cut it, but I too would find it hard to put that kind of money into that system. Be interesting to see how it does, and how that whole system evolves going forward. This would seem to be one indication that Nikon is serious about it...

-Ray

I've been mulling the whole crop factor question over in my mind for months, and the conclusion I keep coming to is that for subject isolation, all roads lead to m4/3 (or bigger) formats. This lens announcement further re-inforces that conclusion.

It's probably best summed up by this image...

1.5.png

The Oly 45mm/1.8 is smaller and lighter (and also half the cost) of the Nikon 32mm/1.2. In fact, I bought a GF5 specifically to keep a 45 permanently attached to it.

I think 1" sensors have an exciting future in an LX7 style of camera, and I really hope somebody builds one, but this lens is a bridge too far IMO.

I think it's great that we're seeing more fully developed systems across a range of format sizes. If I were a Nikon System 1 user and only using that system, I'd be all over this lens.

I think 1" sensors have an exciting future in an LX7 style of camera, and I really hope somebody builds one, but this lens is a bridge too far IMO.

Overall the Nikon 1 System is not for subject isolation. It's a system with a variety of strengths though - very fast AF, very small size (compare their telephoto zoom size to any telephoto zoom for larger formats), etc etc. This lens gives a portrait option with good subject isolation to people who have chosen that system for other reasons.

People make the same case about fast lenses for MFT like the Voigtlander 17mm f/0.95. It's true that if you're looking for a good manual focus lens for shallow DOF at that focal length, you may be better off with full frame. However, if you like MFT for a variety of reasons, the Voigtlander lens gives you an option that wasn't there before.

I've been mulling the whole crop factor question over in my mind for months, and the conclusion I keep coming to is that for subject isolation, all roads lead to m4/3 (or bigger) formats. This lens announcement further re-inforces that conclusion.

It's probably best summed up by this image...

On the left, you have a camera that can AF moving subjects and unique high FPS. On the right, you have less DOF, slightly better IQ, lower cost, and a more mature platform. If I was a fledgeling photojournalist with a trust fund, I might actually choose the one on the left.

Well, now THAT'S a big market segment. I'm sure Nikon had them right in their crosshairs while they were developing this one! :D

-Ray

LOL, I guess that I could have said, "A well-heeled soccer mom with an active four year-old", but I don't even begin to fit that description!

Basically, when the parent of a youngster asks for a camera recommendation, I usually steer them right past the mirrorless aisle and towards entry-level DSLRs. The Nikon 1 system is very nearly the mirrorless camera that would work for this segment, and this 32mm f/1.2 is helping to build the case.

:eek:fftopic:

Just from what I see on TV commercials and my occasional real-life interactions with other members of the human race, I see more people interested in video than action photos of their kids.

Much as I like my V1 and I'm sure it's cured my GAS. I'll give the new lens a miss unless I win the lottery. I would like it though and I am looking forward to a review and samples.

Overall the Nikon 1 System is not for subject isolation. It's a system with a variety of strengths though - very fast AF, very small size (compare their telephoto zoom size to any telephoto zoom for larger formats), etc etc. This lens gives a portrait option with good subject isolation to people who have chosen that system for other reasons.

You make good points, especially with regard to the long zooms. That seems to be the only area where lens size advantage of Nikon 1 over m4/3 manifests itself...

Picture 15.jpg

I guess it also depends on how you view 1" sensors in general. Are they the smallest big sensor or the biggest small sensor?

I'm definitely in the latter camp. If they could make an LX7 style camera with a 1" sensor, I'd be all over that. For primes, I don't think the size savings over m4/3 are enough -- at least not enough for me. In fact, if you wanted the smallest possible kit with a long zoom, pairing an m4/3 + primes with a Nikon 1 + 30-110 zoom would get you there. For something even smaller, go with the Pentax Q + 06 telephoto.

People make the same case about fast lenses for MFT like the Voigtlander 17mm f/0.95. It's true that if you're looking for a good manual focus lens for shallow DOF at that focal length, you may be better off with full frame. However, if you like MFT for a variety of reasons, the Voigtlander lens gives you an option that wasn't there before.

In that particular case, there's a serious size advantage with the Voigtlanders over full frame. With the 32mm Nikkor, there's no size advantage over m4/3.

You make good points, especially with regard to the long zooms. That seems to be the only area where lens size advantage of Nikon 1 over m4/3 manifests itself...

Lenses for all the formats are getting smaller. The tele zoom you showed for Micro 4/3 is a relatively new one and much smaller than other MFT tele zoom options that came before it. No doubt a tele zoom can be made much smaller still than the 30-110 for the Nikon.

The smaller formats give up their size advantage when they try to match shallow DOF and low light capability by going with faster lenses, eg 32/1.2 for 1" vs 45/1.8 for 4/3. On the other hand, if they are willing to give up shallow DOF and very low light performance, the smaller sensors will always have the potential for smaller lenses.

In that particular case, there's a serious size advantage with the Voigtlanders over full frame. With the 32mm Nikkor, there's no size advantage over m4/3.

Only when comparing with full frame DSLRs. The Sony RX1 shows that there is no size advantage of the Voigtlanders over full frame mirrorless systems of the same angle of view, DOF, and low light performance.

If shallow DOF is the main objective, full frame is the way to go. If you want a very small kit and just occasional shallow DOF, the Nikon 1 System makes sense too.

Priced higher than Sigma`s new wonder lens 35mm f1.4. Will be a tough sell for Nikon. Although the available lenses for the system start to look interesting.

On the left, you have a camera that can AF moving subjects and unique high FPS. On the right, you have less DOF, slightly better IQ, lower cost, and a more mature platform. If I was a fledgeling photojournalist with a trust fund, I might actually choose the one on the left.

Hmmm, I agree for the camera body choice because that's where the fast AF and FPS are based, but would part company as this is where the lens is at variance which the whole compact rationale of the format. Why stick a V8 into a mini-body - interesting tour-de -force. Unless this signals that Nikon are going to try to aim the "1 format" at high end amateurs rather than soccer moms ...

Back