Leica New Leica Mini M

Oh well, it seems like the rumours and leaks were all true. All I can say, now that my initial disappointment has subsided, is that it is not a camera for me. And good luck to Leica if they can get this off the ground. The comments on their Facebook page are none too encouraging, though.

I have a number of cameras, including ones which fill the spec-niche of the X Vario and then some, so I will pass on this new product. I'm reminded of when I bought my first DSLR, the Canon 30D. It came with a 17-85mm f3.5-5.6 zoom. With image stabilization and halfway decent light, it could take marvelous images; I imagine that the X Vario will do the same. But I've moved on from those days, and so have many others. I hope that Leica will make enough money from it to fund further developments in the M and S systems, and then improve the specs in future iterations.

A jet ... I'm not there yet, I haven't saved enough money not to buy a jet. What kind aren't you buying?
I'm not buying spec Learjets. But when I really need a big cash infusion there's this custom outfitted rock star type 747 that I don't buy also. Sometimes I don't buy both at once.

I'm very disciplined! ;)

-Ray

Think it highlights the reality issue

of people who want large sensor, compact, fast zoom cameras. You cant have all three simultaneously - at least in this universe! :tongue:

But seriously - it is exactly the sort of problem (and criticism) that I see in M43 forums. People want those fabulous fast 4/3 Zuiko zooms for M43 but I guarantee in the next breath they'd complain its too heavy, too bulky, too expensive.

My personal take on this camera is that the lens has to go one way or the other - fast or compact - and this by the looks of it offers an bulky slow zoom - at least it could have had the grace to be compact to offset the slowness. Heck it doesn't even retract or collapse. So beyond a red dot, this brings nothing to the table that cannot be matched or bettered by a similar sized small DSLR, let alone a good mirrorless - at least that you could put some nice Leica glass onto if you were that way inclined ...:confused:

While I have no serious intentions of ever owning an M-series myself, but an X-2 looks like a real photographer's camera compared to this.

I have to admit that I have been so out of the camera news world that I had no idea this was even in the works. My thanks to you all for your informative and witty posts - and thank you Boid for this video because it's a quick way for me to learn about this camera.

The little port insert for an EVF, etc., is pretty cool. I guess that Fuji might have considered that for their XE....

No chance of me buying one...we have to put a new roof on our house soon.;)

Roof is better than a Leica for sure!

Funny thing about this Leica Mini-M is that its lauch peaked my curiosity about the Canon G1X. I hated the Canon when it came out. But now that the Mini-M seems to be an overpriced underspec'd G1X, I'm curious about the G1X!

Dear Mods, this camera is not an M, it doesn't even have interchangeable lenses. Could this thread be moved to where you keep other X threads?

Back