Leica New Leica Mini M

thinking on the logic of it, which imo, means leveraging off what youve done thats unique and repckaging it to compete in a different market. their unique product is a FF sensor optimized for M/M39 lenses. repackage that w/o rf mechanism (ie cheaper), in an xe-1 sized package with their 'new' focus peeking tech, sell it for a premium over the xpro1, say $2500usd, and viola! now folks who cant/dont want to afford an M9 really have some thinking to do!

thinking on the logic of it, which imo, means leveraging off what youve done thats unique and repckaging it to compete in a different market. their unique product is a FF sensor optimized for M/M39 lenses. repackage that w/o rf mechanism (ie cheaper), in an xe-1 sized package with their 'new' focus peeking tech, sell it for a premium over the xpro1, say $2500usd, and viola! now folks who cant/dont want to afford an M9 really have some thinking to do!

and the side benefit is it destroys whatever market there is for the sony fixed lens FF! (yeah, i dont like sony!)

$2500 is way to low for Leica, and would cannibalize even their own business to some extent. I would say not less than $3,500 and likely closer to $4,000 with the M-E at $5,500 (with a grossly inferior sensor to the M).

My guess is that it will be a fixed lens camera like the RX1, maybe $4000 including Leica Tax. I do not expect it to be an ILC for the following reasons:

- before the M240 was debuted, Leica said they did not have the resources to commit to developing another camera or lens line
- an ILC that takes M-mount lenses would eat into the M-E and M 240 sales

There is also something to the effect that it will not be a rebranded Panasonic, and that it will be made in Germany.

I dunno why, but Leica digital doesn't do much for me. I loved and owned Leica film ... just can't appreciate the ROI with their digital products. Is there something wrong with me?

Gary

I dunno why, but Leica digital doesn't do much for me. I loved and owned Leica film ... just can't appreciate the ROI with their digital products. Is there something wrong with me?

Gary

Curmudgeonism? :tongue:

Serious: I've never owned a Leica, but it seems to me that digital cameras - in any form, no matter how good - simply have a more disposable feel to them than film cameras... maybe because IQ is more linked to the digital body than with the film body.

This is my forecast:

The Leica Mini "M" (remember the "M" comes from the first initial of "Meßsucher" (or "Messsucher"), which is the German word for "Rangefinder") will be FF Leica with a rangefinder for focusing.

It will be designed with a FF sensor that is smaller in MP than the M240. It will only have frame lines to handle the current line of Summarit lenses. (35mm, 50mm, 75mm & 90mm)

For a while now many have complained about the high price for entry into the digital Leica M family. This will be that model.

Curmudgeonism? :tongue:

Serious: I've never owned a Leica, but it seems to me that digital cameras - in any form, no matter how good - simply have a more disposable feel to them than film cameras... maybe because IQ is more linked to the digital body than with the film body.

If you ever get the chance to handle any of the digital Ms from the M8 on up you will not get the disposable feeling.

If you have time you can see a demonstration of the durability of the Leica M frame. Watch this Youtube video from 2:35 and see Jim Wagner, Leica National Sales Manager, stand on a digital Leica M.

The Leica M Rangefinder - YouTube

Back