Leica New Leica Mini M

I use the camera--the EOS M. I won't be getting the Leica because I'm not a total idiot with more money than I can spend. I just have a thing for slow auto focusing, as long as it's cheap, slow auto focusing.

Everyone loves to hate this camera. Where are the independents?

Considering that anyone who speaks up in defense of this camera is likely to be called an "idiot with more money than sense", you probably won't see many independents posting...

I know that it's a paid site, but reading the Sean Reid review of the camera gives some insight into the design choices that Leica made.

I'm not getting one, simply because I do not need anything more compact than my M9P, but otherwise it seems like a very nice camera to me, with the build quality, clean design and straightforward interface that is expected of a Leica.

Cheers,

Antonio

I do not quite understand why the name Leica stirs such strong opinions. Calling Leica owners "idiots with more money than sense" does not do justice to the many great photographers who own Leicas. BTW: I do not own a Leica nor am I a great photographer.

However, I do wish I had one but there is no way I can justify the investment to myself like I also cannot justify the investment in a RX1 although I love the results of that camera as well.

Therefore I am very happy that so many people are willing to share great photos shot with those cameras here!

In fact, I would not even mind if the name of the forum would be changed into "serious-photography.com" (new forum, Amin ????) to allow people to share and discuss their work from compact, DSLR and midformat cameras!

Peter

I do not quite understand why the name Leica stirs such strong opinions. Calling Leica owners "idiots with more money than sense" does not do justice to the many great photographers who own Leicas. BTW: I do not own a Leica nor am I a great photographer.

This kind of rhetoric seems to be increasing and it really turns me off. Why it should matter who uses what camera and why is beyond me. Just let people do what they do and move on.

Therefore I am very happy that so many people are willing to share great photos shot with those cameras here!

In fact, I would not even mind if the name of the forum would be changed into "serious-photography.com" (new forum, Amin ????) to allow people to share and discuss their work from compact, DSLR and midformat cameras!

Peter, There are already many photograph-oriented threads here. That's one of the great things about SC.com. Smart gear discussions but so many photos too. I entirely agree with you. Lately, I have to end any photography forum reading sessions with a quick look at Flickr, to see photos and remind myself that those are the point.

However, I do wish I had one but there is no way I can justify the investment to myself like I also cannot justify the investment in a RX1 although I love the results of that camera as well.

Peter

Maybe you didn't understand ajramirez or I am misconstruing your comment. What I got from ajramirez is that there are so many anti-Leica Mini M reviewers and comments flying about that any pro-Leica Mini M reviewers may feel it is safer to keep their heads down and not speak up. And if they did speak in favor of the Leica Mini M, they would be attack as simply an "idiot with more money than sense". BTW- ajramirez is a Leica owner, one of the few on this forum. I dunno about his financial situation or his mental balance but he is a damn good photographer.

Gary

Thanks for clarifying! Oh no, I wasn't referring to ajramirez at all! On the contrary, I think I understood what he said. IN fact, I liked what he said! I was just trying to say that I do not understand why anti-Leica reviewers are using such strong words! So my sincere apologies if I left the impression that I was attacking ajramirez (btw. I also tried not to judge the anti-leica crowd). Language, especially when it's another language than your mother tongue, remains a difficult thing.

Peter

Maybe you didn't understand ajramirez or I am misconstruing your comment. What I got from ajramirez is that there are so many anti-Leica Mini M reviewers and comments flying about that any pro-Leica Mini M reviewers may feel it is safer to keep their heads down and not speak up. And if they did speak in favor of the Leica Mini M, they would be attack as simply an "idiot with more money than sense". BTW- ajramirez is a Leica owner, one of the few on this forum. I dunno about his financial situation or his mental balance but he is a damn good photographer.

Gary

... (btw. I also tried not to judge the anti-leica crowd).
Peter

But judging others, is so much fun Peter. 'Reserving judgement' is a very good thing. In that vein, I'll reword my last post where I called ajramirez "... a damn good photographer" and for the record, restate that remark to "... a photographer." :)

Gary

PS- So Peter what is your mother tongue?
G

Very true!! It's something that makes us human, isn't it? I think no one will object to calling ajramirez a damn good photographer! Well, I won't! ;-)

My mother tongue is Dutch. Sorry, but it's my parents fault. ;-)

But judging others, is so much fun Peter. 'Reserving judgement' is a very good thing. In that vein, I'll reword my last post where I called ajramirez "... a damn good photographer" and for the record, restate that remark to "... a photographer." :)

Gary

PS- So Peter what is your mother tongue?
G

Just to be clear, I was more attempting to be humorous than anything else. How people spend their money and on what (and how much) only needs to satisfy the individuals. Also, I haven't tried the new Leica and so should not comment (on it having a slow-ass lens and being way over-priced).

I the days of film photography, I owned a Nikon FM2, but I longed for a Leica M, which I could not afford. Why? Because, you see, I tried the Leica M. And there were two or three things I loved about it: the transparency of the viewfinder, being able to see outside the frame, the velvetiness (does this word exist in english?) of all comands, camera and lenses included, the weight and touch, the silence, the elegance of design. Compared to the Leica M, a unctuous Rolls, my faithful Nikon FM2 was a sort of rude Ford. Yes, they both take you to the same place, perhaps in the same time - the Rolls with much pleasure, the Ford with much economy. I think it is the photographer who makes the picture, but the tool matters. I can write the same thing with a BIC ballpoint or a very expensive fountain pen. But if the fountain pen has a very smooth writing, and is good to hold, I shall probably use it more often, take longer to get tired of writing. I now have a Panasonic LX7, which I love more than any camera I had, and just got the GX1. I still cannot afford the Leica M, and I still would love to have one.
The Leica M was born to be much smaller than the existing cameras, and use cinema film. The quality of the pictures was not better than the ones then coming from bigger formats. I can still remember the quality and crispness of several nineteenth-century pictures that were hanged on the walls of the baracks where I did my military service. I still have to see better than that. When 35 mm became the norm, the Leica M gave you a quality which was second to none, and a different operation. Is this "mini-M" just a foolishness for the wealthy? I do not think it suits me, because I often take pictures in the evening, but it can suit others. Let them have and enjoy it.

feel free to discuss the camera and the design choices and how they relate to how or why you would or wouldn't choose the camera. But this moderator is tired (I should use all caps, but am too tired to raise my voice) of reading personal attacks on people who would consider buying the camera or use the brand. None of that is appropriate behavior by civilized adults......at least not on this forum.

Further discussions of how other people spend their money will be vaporized. And repeat offenders will be forcibly removed from the premises. Put down the camera if you must (but why waste your breath complaining about a camera you don't like when you can be out taking photos with a camera you do like), but please don't put down groups of people based on their race, religion or camera choice ;)

I am new to this forum. I also belong to other Leica forums as well as Fuji and Nikon forums in the past.

In the film days, I had 35mm slrs from a lot of different companies. First slr was Pentax K1000, rest were Minolta and Nikon slrs. Only previous Leica was the Leica CM compact camera.
Recently sold my Nikon D600 body ( lost a lot of money ) because all the affordable lenses were made in China and mostly plastic.

I did try the Fuji X-E1 and liked the build quality of the XS 18-55 f/2.8 - 4 zoom lenses. Did not keep it as EVF had to much lag and in bright sunlight outside, hard to see viewfinder. Never got used to holding camera away from me to take photographs.

I was considering the Leica X2 but not a fan of retracting lens into body.

When I first found out that the " Mini M " was a X series zoom I was not impressed with specs. Lator I read reviews from Jono Slack as well as the review from Sean Reid, I understood some reasons for slow lens. Nelson Tan from petapixel also mentions:

quote "Putting aside the contempt for the slow aperture, the Leica X Vario has one of the most amazing lenses on a compact camera. The Leica Vario Elmar 18-46mm ASPH zoom lens is milled out of aluminium and features two generous rings for zoom and focus, and both demonstrate exceptionally smooth dampened feel like those on Leica R lenses. Turning the focusing ring activates a magnified viewer in the LCD display as a focusing aid, which together with the superb feel of the focus ring makes manual focusing a joy to behold. "

I think this camera has exceptional build quality and yes it is expensive but this may be best quality iq for zoom lens yet plus the well known precision feel of Leica. Seriously considering buying this.

Curious since this camera uses a leaf shutter and the built in flash can work at all shutter speeds, will fill flash help with the slower apertures?

Dan

Back