New iPad 3

Yeah, but it's only for photos and one more thing to carry.
You do not need to have an SD card slot. Seriously, there is absolutely no reason to have one on the ipad. You need them on the android devices because of how the apps and memory are managed (really really badly, IMO) but don't think of the ipad as being anything like any other tablet. its not. You dont need it to have the same "features". And, it *is* a tablet, not a replacement for your computer. It might get there eventually. BIG maybe.

meh....just another underpowered computer (hey.... somebody has to play the devil's advocate here, right?);)

Glad you did it, don't want to be the bad guy every time. But heavier than the ipad2 and still no Flash support make me wait for the next generation. Meanwhile Samsung is doing some great stuff with their tablets, screen, size and weight, performance wise. Ok, I'm still a Mac/Apple user.

I've made my final decision. Almost. I want a new iPad, but am not sure about the capacity I'll get, or which one. that is 2 or 3. 2 is a temptation right this minute but I want to handle the new one to see what its like in the hand. So no pre-order for me. Been there, done that, dont care to do it again. its still not thicker and heavier than the first generation iPad so I'm not fussed about that aspect.

Interesting Ray...I wonder but it seems that iPhoto on the newer iPad may work differently? I just read this piece by David Pogue: The New iPad: It's in the Apps - NYTimes.com This is not a review by him, just his first reactions.

The iPhoto app does some tricks regarding processing the photos, which is what I think he's talking about in his NYT piece. I'm not really looking for that, though - I do a bit of processing to a few shots in snapseed while traveling but save most processing for the Aperture plug-ins when I get back to my Mac. What I was hoping for was a better photo management function in terms of organizing, cataloging, sorting, deleting, etc. So that I don't get home with a massive number of photos. I can delete stuff well enough from my daily imports I guess, but they also get deleted from the underlying "all imports" folder/gallery it creates. And there's no real organization possible beyond that. But that's OK. I'm going to back up all of my shooting to a little portable photo-backup hard drive and then I can delete liberally from the ipad, but know I have the deleted stuff backed up if I want to have another look at something later. It'll work well enough for a month with only the ipad, but I was hoping iPhoto might add some of the organizational functions of iphoto or aperture on the Mac.

These are not major problems to have! But solutions that make it all work more easily are still good to find...

-Ray

Reminded me of the whole debate on whether you needed 1080p on your home television... a person's ability to see the extra pixels depended on how large the display was and how close they were:

resolution_chart.png

1080p Does Matter – Here’s When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) | CarltonBale.com

Hmmmm... what is the average viewing distance to a tablet? :D

bumping this topic :)

Who's getting a new iPad this week? (either the new one or last years which is now selling over here at stupid low prices)

The cost of my electric bill is going to determine which I get ... I'm expecting it this week too and the summer quarter is usually HUGE.

I thought for sure I'd be ready to jump on the iPad 3 bandwagon after resisting the urge to upgrade to the deuce; however, I'm just not there yet. Waiting for that killer app to come along; otherwise, I'll be able to continue to muddle through with the "Classic" for another cycle unless the battery craps out.

I thought for sure I'd be ready to jump on the iPad 3 bandwagon after resisting the urge to upgrade to the deuce; however, I'm just not there yet. Waiting for that killer app to come along; otherwise, I'll be able to continue to muddle through with the "Classic" for another cycle unless the battery craps out.

I sold mine (iPad1) in January. The Low memory warnings were annoying me beyond belief. Clearly, I have apps which need more. The big decision is really between the memory capacities than anything at this stage. 512mb in the iPad2 or 1G in the iPad3... and then that balanced with other financial considerations.

Well its all good, and only 8 hours til official iPad 3. Some retailers here are being exceptionally naughty and opening to sell at 12.01am, even though Apple specified 8am for everyone. None in my town though. I did try to get an ipad2, but most were sold out when they went on sale this time last week, and i didnt really look until Sunday, so its an ipad3 or bust. An interesting piece of info which was pointed out to me... some of the apple apps are now 4x their last version size, to take advantage of the new hardware etc... games too will be huge... so if you thought 16G might be enough, you might be wrong. I can probably go as far as 32G, its what I had wished I got for the first one. My electric bill is manageable :)

I'm going to bed now, because I need to be up and functioning at sparrowfart. nightynight :)

I was not going to buy a new iPad, but now I think I will for 2 reasons. First, when we travel, it is entertainment for our kids. Right now I have the iPad 1 16 GBs, and it does not take long to fill it up with kiddie shows and movies. Second, I want to make an effort to use it more as a computer like others do. I design applications for a living and it's important for me to stay abreast of these things. My MacBook Pro will remain my photography computer, but perhaps the new iPad will perfectly suffice as everything else.

What about this perspective - it's the apps that make the platform. For those who don't use an iPad do you find that you can get all of the apps that you want or need?

From my own experience, clients always want an iOS app, generally want an Android app too, but rarely want a Windows Phone 7 app. Windows 8 Metro (the Windows tablet) is even more of a wait and see. I'll add that there tends to be a lot of excitement around the new Nokia WP7 phones, but not necessarily around WP7 itself. I hear more and more complaints about Android and how chaotic it has gotten and how difficult it is for our clients to keep up with the various versions and carriers. From an app provider perspective they would like to support a clear, consistent path of Android OS versions across all carriers.

What about this perspective - it's the apps that make the platform. For those who don't use an iPad do you find that you can get all of the apps that you want or need?

From my own experience, clients always want an iOS app, generally want an Android app too, but rarely want a Windows Phone 7 app. Windows 8 Metro (the Windows tablet) is even more of a wait and see. I'll add that there tends to be a lot of excitement around the new Nokia WP7 phones, but not necessarily around WP7 itself. I hear more and more complaints about Android and how chaotic it has gotten and how difficult it is for our clients to keep up with the various versions and carriers. From an app provider perspective they would like to support a clear, consistent path of Android OS versions across all carriers.

Oh I quite agree with you. However with many differing hardware versions/OEM's it is hard to keep the Apple Monoculture model working in Android.
But I do get all the apps I need/want and more on my Honeycomb Tablets.
Photoshop Touch is new and big one for me.
My Galaxy has no SD card slot but I do have an OEM SD adapter which allows me to edit and upload images from my dedicated cameras (at least in jpeg).

I wil def be getting one next week. As for which one will depend on what they have. If they have the iPad 2 i may well go for that as i have (finally!!) had a play on my son's and it's brilliant!! If not then I'll go for the 32GB as the extra storage will be handy.

Watch this space......

I find it funny sometimes that people will be so stubborn towards buying an Apple product just because it's Apple.

I have a friend who has argued with me for years about him not buying Apple products for no reason than it's Apple!

Now he owns an iPad and an iPhone as does his wife and daughter, I will convince him to get a mac one day lol but he is still adamant about his windows box.

I just don't get it, if it's the best product on the market then who cares who made it? I have tried all sorts of tablets but the iPad outshines them all by far, so I have preordered the iPad 3, I was late doing it so it's the end of the month for mine to arrive but I think I can cope, I think........

Back