Sony New guy with questions....

agfa100

Rookie
Alright after much time reading and looking at all these great pictures I think I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a used RX-1. Is there any other lens hood I should think about besides the Fotodiox or the JJC hood? As I have a Leitz 35mm finder I am going to try and use it instead of getting the EVF, we will see how long that lasts. I am a long time M film user from 71 on.

Right now I have been using a Ricoh GXR with the M module and a bunch of the older M lenses and a nice set of Russian stuff that I love to play with, ie Jupiter 3 50mm 1.5. I have not wanted to jump to a Digital M because of $$$$ even though I have enough lenses not that a RX-1 is on the cheap side, but it really seems like the best bang for the buck with FF. I will keep the Ricoh for my other lenses, I kept going back and forth about a new GR or the RX1 but I have a number of friends that all have either M240's or Nikon FF's and one with a Leica S. So the larger sensor size is really calling, and it may happen this week.

So anything else I should get besides two more batteries and a grip? Does one need a LCD cover with the RX1?

Thanks for helping my GAS

wbill

Welcome! And LCD cover is never a BAD idea - won't protect from really bad stuff, but could from superficial scratches and stuff. If you want a normal hood, you won't do much better than the JJC. There's a thing called a "hoocap" that's combination of lens cap and hood - I had one for a while and it sped up the whole process, but its far from necessary. And I'm not sure how well it would interact with an OVF as I was always either using the EVF or just the LCD.

Have fun with it if you get it. I sold mine for reasons that made sense at the time and I've basically come to terms with it, but its a wonderful camera. The GXR M-module is a pretty good APS sensor - I don't think you'd see much if any improvement with the GR other than size - but the RX1 is at another level. And the lens is a real treat too, but if you've got a bunch of Leica glass, you're already in a pretty good place for glass!

Enjoy,

-Ray

Thanks, I saw one picture of a RX-1 that looked like it had a lens hood like the one for the older Leica 21mm 3.4 & the 28 mm 2.8 V2. Anyone have any idea who makes that one. My friends think I should stick with aps-c GR or spring for a M body, but I have so much fun with my Jupiter 3 (sonnar copy) I just want to try the 35 mm sonnar on the RX1.

wbill

Is there a reason not to consider the A7? Unless your m collection is lots of ultrawides, they should work fine on an A7, which is cheaper than the rX1

I'd add the Fuji X-T1 to the list. If you already have good glass then that camera will replace your aging GXR while it still has some resale value left. Fuji X-mount has as many adapters available as Sony for legacy glass and when you need AF, the native Fuji glass is there and comparable to Leica and Zeiss for less money.

Well part of what I want is the autofocus, so with any camera I pickup I will need a new lens. And after being used to Leica M lenses since 1971 I want something that is really sharp and has great contrast. The Fuji lenses fit the bill and the new Zeiss lenses would be good, but I don't want to start all over again with a new lens system.

Plus I really only use 21,28,35,50 on my Gxr with the aps-c means I am just using 35,40,50,75 and my 21/35 is a CV f4.0 great little lens but slow. So that's why I kept looking at a Ricoh GR or the RX1 and the FF really wins the battle. When I still used film I would have to say that 75% of the pictures I took that I liked were taken with my 35 Summicron V-1. Now I have adapters, besides the M lenses, I use old Contax rf lenses on the Ricoh, Old Alpa (Swiss) lenses, Old pre-war Russian and Leica ltm lenses, Leica Visoflex lenses and Leicaflex lenses. I have way too many lenses, so the idea of a camera that I can't add any lenses too sounds very nice to me at this time. When I used MF I had a Fuji 645 with a 60mm lens and I just liked the way it shot.

wbill

Help you with your GAS? I'd love to!

On my RX1, I use a collapsible rubber Heliopan lens hood, which I prefer to the counterfeit Sony hood I first tried. The Heliopan hood provides more protection yet collapses out of the way for filters and storage. (I keep a B+W UV filter on the lens, and don't use the lens cap.) I also have a leather Leicatime half case, which looks and feels great and eliminates the need for a grip while adding little bulk. Highly recommended. I also have a Lance camera strap that is far and away the nicest strap I've used with a compact camera because it slides easily across your clothing so the camera can quickly be brought to shooting position. (I wear it sling-style across my chest.) I also have a leather Gordy's wrist strap for times when I'm not using the neck strap, and a black Abrahamsson soft release button that, to me, improves the feel of the shutter release. You will also need an external battery charger.

Finally, while expensive, I've concluded the EVF is indispensable, or nearly so. I resisted acquiring one for about a year, then finally relented. Now I never take it off the camera.

Enjoy! It's a great camera.

Heliopan Hood

Which Heliopan hood are you using? Also, I am interested to find out about your Leicatime case.

Thank you.

Mike

Help you with your GAS? I'd love to!

On my RX1, I use a collapsible rubber Heliopan lens hood, which I prefer to the counterfeit Sony hood I first tried. The Heliopan hood provides more protection yet collapses out of the way for filters and storage. (I keep a B+W UV filter on the lens, and don't use the lens cap.) I also have a leather Leicatime half case, which looks and feels great and eliminates the need for a grip while adding little bulk. Highly recommended. I also have a Lance camera strap that is far and away the nicest strap I've used with a compact camera because it slides easily across your clothing so the camera can quickly be brought to shooting position. (I wear it sling-style across my chest.) I also have a leather Gordy's wrist strap for times when I'm not using the neck strap, and a black Abrahamsson soft release button that, to me, improves the feel of the shutter release. You will also need an external battery charger.

Finally, while expensive, I've concluded the EVF is indispensable, or nearly so. I resisted acquiring one for about a year, then finally relented. Now I never take it off the camera.

Enjoy! It's a great camera.

So now with the latest rumor of the new RX2 with a 1.8 but with a curved sensor do I wait for the RX1 prices to drop even lower? I hate to think what the price of the RX2 is going to be. I know that it is stupid to wait, if you want it just get it! This is electronic's there is always something better coming down the road. It reminds me of a old joke, "A older women was telling a younger one after she broke up with her boyfriend, don't worry honey men are like buses all you have to do is wait for the next one."

wbill

So now with the latest rumor of the new RX2 with a 1.8 but with a curved sensor do I wait for the RX1 prices to drop even lower? I hate to think what the price of the RX2 is going to be. I know that it is stupid to wait, if you want it just get it! This is electronic's there is always something better coming down the road. It reminds me of a old joke, "A older women was telling a younger one after she broke up with her boyfriend, don't worry honey men are like buses all you have to do is wait for the next one."

wbill

I don't think prices on used RX1s are going to drop very much, even if the RX2 rumors prove to be true. The RX1 is so near to being a perfect camera (when you include the EVF!), I think its value (and design) will be pretty timeless.

Well I just hit the button, I should have the camera by next weekend. Already ordered a extra set of batteries, now the grip and hood kit and that's it. Let's see if I get buyers remorse I hope not, I have been going back and forth over this for months... Just think I could have been out taking pictures...

wbill

GAS stopper

I think you will love this camera and should not worry at all. It is a masterpiece and I remember Steve Huff calling the camera a GAS stopper.

I absolutely love this camera and if you plan on keeping it for a while I would suggest to get the extended warranty through Sony.

Well I just hit the button, I should have the camera by next weekend. Already ordered a extra set of batteries, now the grip and hood kit and that's it. Let's see if I get buyers remorse I hope not, I have been going back and forth over this for months... Just think I could have been out taking pictures...

wbill

The only way I could afford was to go with a used one, so no extended warr at this time. But If I have to send it in for anything I will try and get the warr..... I never get rid of anything ( I should) but with Leica's I learned early on to never sell a lens when you want it again it will always cost you a lot more if you can even find it in the same condition. And this one is priced right if the condition is as stated I should be good.

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

wbill

Oldwino,
I still have my Sigma SD-9 (it works) and my SD-14, really nice files it you stayed at iso 100 with the 9 and did not go over 400 with the 14. People would always look at my prints and ask how I got them so sharp without them looking weird, plus they made really nice b&w prints only because the color balance would be all over the place mostly too green.

wbill

Indeed, the Sigma cameras can produce some amazing images. I doubt there is anything with more pure resolution, outside of the Nikon 800e and something in medium format. But colors can be tricky, low light/high ISO is nearly impossible (requiring B&W if the image can be used at all), and the cameras are slow.
I'm finding the RX1 to be much more versatile in almost every situation.

Well my RX-1 showed up this week and yesterday was my first day out with the camera. I am trying to use it with my old Leica 35mm OVF and the lcd turned off and just going by the beep to let me know when it's in focus. I only missed two shots yesterday with missing focus, I will most likely pick up the EVF but I want to try using the camera with the OVF it's such a smaller package plus I don't worry about breaking it like I do with the one on my GXR. But then on the GXR I am only using it with manual focus lenses so I really don't have a choice as the Ricoh lcd is useless in the sun. The files are so clean on the RX-1it was a real joy to look at them this am.

wbill

Agfa,

Well done in getting an RX1.
I see you are looking for accessories for it.
I have quite a few and I can make a small write up for it:

- Hood 1 (rectangular shape) there is one I highly recommend and thats the UNX 8118. It's a Japan import and it isnt necessarily cheap (I paid the Yen but I can't remember how much in USD or GBP) The good part of it is that it keeps a low profile and it has its own cap (so you can leave the original Sony metal one at home)
- Hood 2 (most recent post I made in the "show us your RX1" thread) is a Zeiss Flektogon 35mm 2.8 lens hood. You find these used all the time. Exakta has a copy. It is a really solid hood. It does not have a tightening system like the UNX (they are both threaded to the filter so the rectangle rotates to align properly) which is a tiny allen key, but I used black masking tape around it to keep it in place and it works a treat. The look has grown on me a little. My back up RX1 now has the UNX hood on it.
- Grip 1 is a Really Right Stuff grip. What it does...it adds weight (which I wanted) and it also adds 3 sides of solid bump protection: bottom, left and right. I bought this because I wanted the added weight and that my hands wrapped around something to hold the camera steady for slow shutter speeds like 1/15 and 1/8. It works very well. To me, it adds extra balance as well.
- Half Case. I find it hard to recommend anything but Gariz. This Korean accessory maker may not be using the most exotic or flamboyant leather combined with alternative stitching colours or other fashionable paraphernalia. What it does do for me is that it adds a touch of style without leaving the real essentials out: ACCESS TO THE BATTERY DOOR! How many God forsaken cases are made in this world without this rather essential and just plain obvious need? The camera is power hungry. The files, while mathematically controlled, are still 24mb each (shooting RAW which I do often) and if you are like me (don't want to risk all photographs into one card, thus buy many small cards) then you will be changing cards every 300 shots. Gariz half cases are also considerably affordable and he uses real leather...just not the downtrodden-world-travelled-roughed-up style of many supposedly fashionable half cases.

Last but not least, as it was said before....the EVF, if you can afford it at some point, is truly worth getting. I would not call it "ultimately essential" since everybody has different shooting styles and tolerances...but I would say that it will be an addition you will use frequently.

PS: I also highly recommend using B+W filters. Since the thread of the lens is 49mm, B+W standard brass multi coated filter will not set you back that much and they are worth it. Easy to clean, very hard and does not alter image quality.

Have fun!

Well the owner sent me three batteries plus the OEM hood and the Sony plug in wall charger. I was not expecting the oe hood so I had already ordered the Fotodiox kit with the hand grip and the hood. It also came with a AA camera strap, while a nice strap, too me it seems to big so I have placed a order for a braided leather strap that should be here next week. I really liked your UNX 8118 lens hood it seems to be a copy of the Leica hood for the older 21mm f 3.4 and the Vr 2 28mm hood. Also the camera came with a B+W Uva MRC 010 filter, so except for the EVF and a ND filter and maybe a Pol I should be set. I do have one question do you need to have a protector for the lcd? I know on some cameras the coating on the lcd would come off if you did not have a protector on it. But I don't seem to find any information on the RX-1 forums about that so I guess it is not a problem??

Thanks for your recommendations.

wbill

Back