New game for February

Nice idea and quite simple if using jpegs. I'd think at least 1024 on the long size (about 1500 would make it printable at minimal sizes).
We can save an 80% quality jpeg with any software we use, and upload it where we have room to try.

Right then Stillshunter - it's all yours!
Very flattered by your confidence Heather :blush: As is obvious from threads such as this and another recent one from Otto that I don't have a monopoly on good ideas for future challenges. And in this vein I certainly don't want to be seen as monopolising the Image Quest folder. I'd love to see folk's not only express their ideas but have the reward of seeing them come to fruition - as I have with SiJ.

From what I can see, this challenge will pretty much 'run itself'. So I'd suggest starting a new thread in the Image Quest folder, outlining the mechanics and it will be sure to gather momentum. In the immortal words of Kevin Costner ""If you build it, they will come" ;)

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this but the bigger the filesize the greater the opportunity for change? If the file is a smallish jpeg then we will all be resubmitting versions with very little to distinguish between them. I can appreciate the issue with storing a bunch of RAW or DNG's on the site but I'd sooner pp one DNG per week than 7 jpegs. I can only speak from my own experience but I usually shoot RAW and on the few occasions I shoot jpeg I tend to post process them very gingerly - minimal cropping with minor adjustments to contrast and colours.

I guess I might be in for a surprise at what folks can do with a jpeg file.

I process the living daylights out of JPEGs and have never felt confined. I understand the resulting images would be cleaner if I started with RAW, but I believe the goal is to help show the poster of the original image a new way of looking at their image, not finish it and make it ready for printing at poster size. I love these types of challenges. While I've heard suggestions of one a week and one every day, I think something in between might be more accomodating to everyone's schedules, but I'll join in to whatever extent that I can regardless of what's chosen.

Back