1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New from San Francisco

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by tybeck, Oct 26, 2010.

1. tybeck

tybeck New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    San Francisco
    I don't actually have a newer small compact, just an old Canon S110 (2 whole MP!), but I am looking to get one in the near future. I've had several times since getting more into photography that I've wanted a smaller camera and not my DSLR and associated lens. At the same time I'm spoiled with the image quality and flexibility that a DSLR allows. Since you guys are "serious" about compacts I thought I might find some good recommendations here for a camera that gives you some of the best of both camera styles. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. deirdre

deirdre Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    Micro-4/3 or Sony NEX are interchangeable lens cameras that are smaller than full frame. I have a Panasonic GF1, which is small enough (with lens) to fit in a (okay, rather large) shirt pocket, but still small enough to carry with me all the time. It's sitting at my right elbow as we speak.

• Like Like x 1
  3. deirdre

deirdre Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    BTW, I'm also in the San Francisco area (30 miles south, basically), and there are other shutterbugs in the area.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    tybeck, welcome to Serious Compacts! I do think that if you look around here - check out the front page stories and read through the different threads, you'll get a pretty good idea about a good cross section of smaller cameras. Please make yourself at home. I look forward to your questions and involvement here.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Hello and welcome - lots of good info here - agree if you are serious about IQ the mirrorless bodies by Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung give a good choice. You will find yourself tempted to spend more on the array of interchangeable lenses tho'. Ricoh has a different approach with lens and sensor combined and interchangeable on the body - more expensive again. Lots of supporters here too for the Panna LX5, Canon S95 or G11/12 and the new Nikon P7000 looks interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boyzo

Boyzo Veteran

Jul 14, 2010
    Welcome you're from a great city

For a compact (If budget allows) I think its hard to go past the Olympus E-P2 great IQ and the EVF it come with is superb and a neat capable collapsing kit lens.

As a second the GF1 is excellent so too the Olympus E-PL1 (best bang for your buck)

btw I left my heart in San Francisco .. just like in the Song ........:smile:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. tybeck

tybeck New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks for all of the replies and recommendations! I have a lot of homework to do.

Living in SF is wonderful from a photography point of view, so much to capture. This is part of the reason I'm looking for a camera I can carry with me with ease.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    You're more than welcome, tybeck. Any questions, fire away. Any thoughts you want some first hand feedback on - don't hesitate.This is a great time in the camera world for small, easy to carry cameras - AKA serious compacts. Looking forward to hearing how things go!:popcorm2::biggrin:

9. javier

javier Veteran

Oct 5, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Ty
    Welcome aboard. This is a wonderful place and I look forward to seeing your images, especially from Frisco!
    I was just their a couple of weeks ago. I loved it!
    China Town San Francisco - a set on Flickr

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.