New Boots

merlin

All-Pro
Name
Merlin Emrys
Wore new hiking shoes in the Nature Preserve today. Despite a bit of apprehension, they worked excellently, in terms of stability, grip, and cushioning. We even did a bit of off-trail exploring, clambering over rocks, across fallen logs, and up and down a few slopes as part of the testing process. Definitely keepers.

The wind was rather icy, though, so thermal wear was needed, but the sun, deep blue skies, trees, rocks, and vistas were magnificent.

X30

X30F4939_lzn.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

X30F4947_lzn.jpg

X30F4944_lzn.jpg

X30F4945_lzn.jpg

X30F4946_lzn.jpg

X30F4949_lzn.jpg

X30F4950_lzn.jpg

X30F4953_lzn.jpg

X30F4955_lzn.jpg

X30F4960_lzn.jpg

Ahh Salomon... very eager to try some of their products. The speed assault shoe is probably first on my list (it's a slightly taller, slightly lighter speedcross with no goretex), as a shoe for day hikes. If my heavy duty hiking boots (Lowa desert elite) ever wear out, or if I plan to do significant hiking in cool and wet / winter conditions, their Quest 4D is currently the boot on top of my to-try list.

Ahh Salomon... very eager to try some of their products. The speed assault shoe is probably first on my list (it's a slightly taller, slightly lighter speedcross with no goretex), as a shoe for day hikes. If my heavy duty hiking boots (Lowa desert elite) ever wear out, or if I plan to do significant hiking in cool and wet / winter conditions, their Quest 4D is currently the boot on top of my to-try list.

These are not GTX. I have no need for that in this arid climate. I wanted something that was lighter and less clunky than the Patagonia Drifter AC boots I have been using for the past 8 years. These feel like extensions of my feet, and yet have great traction and stability.

They are the X Ultra 3 model.

Yeah the lowa desert elite are a pretty rare combination: heavy duty support and construction, without a trace of waterproofing. Bought them for backpacking in Africa, which they're awesome for. Not so much for trudging through endless snow fields though ;-)

Back