Near Heart Attack [Don't Panic! / It lives :) ]

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
So the crabapple trees are blooming in stages from buds to full blooms and I thought I would slip outside to capture them before they go away. You see they like to bloom and then drop and sometimes it seems like overnight, blink and the petals are all over the driveway and the yard! Anyway I grabbed a macro lens and then picked up my little XSi and GASP-- the LCD is cracked in a big V and chipped at the edge? What?? How??? Thump thump thump! But but but.. And then I try to turn it on and it won't. It won't? Wait.. WAIT. OMG I won't have a camera now! Breathe.. Last three times I was out spanning about a months time I didn't recharge. Pant pant.. go to the charger, yes! battery! Now the test. I put the battery in and turn it on and.. image. Image seems.. fine.. hmm. Blink... blink.. recollection.. GGS Glass Screen Proctector! My LCD is safe! Breatheeeeee.

Okay so to get one of those babies off, best to put a long lens on the camera, hold it between your knees to keep it level and still and use dental floss in a gentle sawing motion, after removing the eyecup, to get under the glass screen so that it doesn't come off in pieces. It took about a minute. Now the glue, little sticky globs but only around the rim, gentle fingernail picking and the big stuff is off. Maybe two minutes. [Pst.. I heard these were hard to remove..] Then masking tape with a stick/unstick motion and it's mostly clean. Last a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad to clean the edges and viola.. pretty new looking screen. That.. is... NAKED! Eep. Well my protector did it's job I have to say but I didn't bump my camera around and asking in the house, people are mum about it. Suspicious? Hmm..

So anyway now I need to run out for a new lenspen and if I can get one, a new screen protector. Why do I use one? Because one year and three days [Three days!] after I bought my baby, the LCD died entirely. Not due to impact mind you but it was a mfg defect that Canon wouldn't get behind that cost me $250 [they do a cleaning and check-up w/adjustments as well] to replace the LCD. So at the very least I thought I would cover it so that in the event that I bump it [and I have not!] it wouldn't cost me another 250. It'll cost me another screen protector. I say this now because the LCD looks functional and good but I will take a few shots to see if everything is okay INSIDE the camera.

in my experience, the screen protectors break easier than the screens, but that is the point. It's like when that car pulled out in front of my scooter and I laid it down. The helmet cracked so my head wouldn't. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

in my experience, the screen protectors break easier than the screens, but that is the point. It's like when that car pulled out in front of my scooter and I laid it down. The helmet cracked so my head wouldn't. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

So glad your helmet took the crack!!

A cloth dampened in petroleum naptha (AKA Ronsonol lighter fluid) takes off any remaining goo without damage. Broken the GGS myself on the D7000's in the past.

Usually within the first month of ownership a GGS protector gets slapped on the camera. My Fuji HS50 doesn't have one because there doesn't seem to be an appropriate-fitting one available.

Usually within the first month of ownership a GGS protector gets slapped on the camera. My Fuji HS50 doesn't have one because there doesn't seem to be an appropriate-fitting one available.

Same, looking for one for the GR already since I need one for my dslr again.

Glad you got it fixed. Imagine what the shop cost would be.

Camera wouldn't be worth it given it's age. So yes it would have been expensive and probably very delayed given I would like to go up to like a 7dII [I hear next year], plenty of time to save though.

Back