Fuji My X-Pro2 Review

Adam, surely you should/could be appraising the lens not your inability to get to grips with the 16mm? That said I think you are putting yourself down unnecessarily!

PS, I do enjoy your blog if that is what it is, although I don’t have an X-Pro2.

Thanks Mike, I don’t know what it is anymore!

I used to say it was a website (as it was) then everyone started calling it a blog

So I started blogging all the articles I’d written (about 25 weeks behind their original publication date, which is always hilarious when it’s a ‘new’ firmware post :D)

But I kept the weekly articles which I share to the Fuji community as I write them

Each has pros and cons

Blog posts have tags, and are easy to share and for people to follow

But they disappear into a blog hole once they’re superseded with newer posts

Web pages are harder to share, impossible to follow, but I can write them with indexes etc to make them easier to find!

I didn’t really appraise the 16 as there is a ton of reviews already and many people love that lens. I also didn’t have a point of reference

I thought the story of getting out of the comfort zone and seeing a wider world was far more close to my heart and experience than talking about how sharp etc the 16 is

The Fuji premium glass is all very, very good (that’s why pre Leica TL mount it was the most expensive APSC glass on the mass market) no new news there!

I enjoy writing the stories more than anything (although the gear/GAS posts scoop more views)

With this story, I wanted a journey of gaining familiarity with something new, rather than simply singing praises

I try to be my own harshest critic... but when so much of what you do is seen online, it doesn’t always work out like that :D :D :D

Mike, I think Adam is getting to that in part 3 of this story. He definitely is showing a progression of his work with the 16mm. The last two images of Part Two show he was starting to get into the groove of shooting with the 24mm field of view.

I fear the 16 suffered a little because I had the APD at the same time, and I love that lens!

I also wrote a spawling 56 v APD comparison during the time I had both glass

But thanks Bobby, and yes the third and final part is about as much in the groove as I got with it!

Probably me being a bit impatient?

Next Sunday!

I’ve had a very busy November so I pre wrote a month’s worth of stuff! Not sure what I’ll do next... maybe the new FW if it lands in time. I need to do the two 35s but I might save that (I’m dreading it to be honest, I’ve seen so many evangelical posts on that subject)

I’ll probably do some sort of year in review post

It’s quite challenging to pull around a 1000words a week out of thin air, based only on a single platform of Fuji camera. I’m up to 22 straight months now!

For 2018 I want to try and expand a bit...

The XP1 was/is a lot easier to write about than the XP2

Adam, my apologies it was me being impatient! I said that because I thought the article unfinished and then noticed there would be a third section, oops.

Although not an X-Pro2 user, I admire your dedication to the website/blog, and of course the lens reviews are not X model specific so are of interest to me. I have the 16mm 1.4 but since last year I’ve fallen in love with the 23mm 1.4, I’m so fickle.

More power to your elbow.

Mike, the entire Fuji lens lineup is so good, it's easy to find a new lens to love. I've been debating moving to 23mm from 16 myself. Although I would go with the f2 variant.

Adam, looking forward to where you take the blogsite. Maybe we'll be beginning the X-Pro3 in the not too distant future.

Agreed Bobby, it is you say very easy to get enamoured with Fujinon lenses but I don’t appreciate the looks or the handling of the f2s. I will admit to only ever handling the 35 f2 back in September the 9th 2015 that was being demo’d by a Fuji rep, maybe before it was released! So I’ll pass on those, plenty of others to drool over. :D

I think there is an argument for Fuji to update the lenses released early on such as the 35mm 1.4, 60mm 2.4 and the 18-135mm. I notice that the XC zoom lenses have been updated!

I think there is an argument for Fuji to update the lenses released early on such as the 35mm 1.4, 60mm 2.4 and the 18-135mm. I notice that the XC zoom lenses have been updated!
Agreed! I'd love to see an 18mm f2 WR, or an 18-55mm f2.8-4 WR, as long as the size didn't significantly increase. Surely I can't be the only one around who prefers compact gear?

Last edited:
Mike, that is the beauty of the Fuji system. We all have something to love and fit our needs and wants.

I am making the switch to compact gear where I can. Part of the reason I am considering moving from the 16mm to the 23mm f2. And I agree that the first round lenses need updating. The 18-55/55-200 pair, the 18mm, and 35 1.4. The 18-135 is really good and I'm not sure what upgrades would benefit it.

The 18-135 needs to have weather sealing rejigged as zooming is not as smooth as it should be unless one is quite firm with it! I am of the opinion that 1.4 primes are not large or heavy, but that’s just me, I just love the quality. Also generally the aperture rings need to be made with much more click to the stops!

Im not going to disagree that the earlier lenses could use some updating but as far as Im concerned I wouldn't replace the ones I have. The type of photography I shoot the current lenses are as capable as I need although I should never say never.

Keep up the good work Adam!

Adam, my apologies it was me being impatient! I said that because I thought the article unfinished and then noticed there would be a third section, oops.

Although not an X-Pro2 user, I admire your dedication to the website/blog, and of course the lens reviews are not X model specific so are of interest to me. I have the 16mm 1.4 but since last year I’ve fallen in love with the 23mm 1.4, I’m so fickle.

More power to your elbow.

Thanks Mike,

Tbh impatience is flattering, if you were saying “gez Adam can’t you make this bi-yearly or something?” Then I’d be less flattered :D

Mike, the entire Fuji lens lineup is so good, it's easy to find a new lens to love. I've been debating moving to 23mm from 16 myself. Although I would go with the f2 variant.

Adam, looking forward to where you take the blogsite. Maybe we'll be beginning the X-Pro3 in the not too distant future.

The 23 f2 is really about 21mm, so that’ll ease the transition

I want to write more about photography, the actual process of taking a picture, ideally in a way which makes it inconsequential which camera you use....

Let’s see....

I think we’re a way away from an X-Pro3... the X-Pro range isn’t Fuji’s biggest seller (about a tenth of X-T sales or so I’m told)

Agreed Bobby, it is you say very easy to get enamoured with Fujinon lenses but I don’t appreciate the looks or the handling of the f2s. I will admit to only ever handling the 35 f2 back in September the 9th 2015 that was being demo’d by a Fuji rep, maybe before it was released! So I’ll pass on those, plenty of others to drool over. :D

My “2 cents” is that the 50 is the pick of the f2 WR bunch

Much like professional motorsport - photography gear is a spiral of diminishing returns.

It costs a lot of money to make a race car go 1/10 faster and it costs a lot of money to make better glass. That said the fast primes are generally nicer (well let’s say more sophisticated) renderers than their f2 brethren but at a significant uplift in cost.

Back