Fuji My X-Pro2 Review

This topic was well timed for me, and a great read. I just bought the 50mm to use as both an all around lens, as well as a portrait lens. As usual, your article was a great read. I always love your perspective as a guy who loves to get out and shoot. Instead of the sterile lab testing type of article which over saturates the web.

This topic was well timed for me, and a great read. I just bought the 50mm to use as both an all around lens, as well as a portrait lens. As usual, your article was a great read. I always love your perspective as a guy who loves to get out and shoot. Instead of the sterile lab testing type of article which over saturates the web.

Thank you very much Bobby, I’m glad you liked it and I really appreciate the compliment

Thank you Adam I enjoyed the read. While Im not interested in either lens at this time, if I was I would strongly look at the 50.

Thank you Adam I enjoyed the read. While Im not interested in either lens at this time, if I was I would strongly look at the 50.

I have the 56 and I’m happy with it, but the 50 is a good lens and 75mm eqv is a bit of sweet spot for what I like to shoot

I have the 56 and I’m happy with it, but the 50 is a good lens and 75mm eqv is a bit of sweet spot for what I like to shoot

I was worried that this would be a problem as I had shot 85mm on full frame DSLRs for years, and the 56mm on Fuji until I went to zooms. 85mm is a focal length which I am very used to working with. But, after a weekend of shooting with the 50mm, I have found that the 76mm equivalent focal length works very well for how I shoot now. Once I learn the lens well it's going to be a great fit.

Something that I quickly learned shooting with the 50 over the weekend is, that it has a foot closer minimum focus distance than the 56mm. So while the 56mm has 6 more MMs and f1. 2. That is made up for by the foot closer of range to work in for composition. Which also gives a blurrier background. Something else to consider when choosing between these two amazing lenses.

I was worried that this would be a problem as I had shot 85mm on full frame DSLRs for years, and the 56mm on Fuji until I went to zooms. 85mm is a focal length which I am very used to working with. But, after a weekend of shooting with the 50mm, I have found that the 76mm equivalent focal length works very well for how I shoot now. Once I learn the lens well it's going to be a great fit.

Something that I quickly learned shooting with the 50 over the weekend is, that it has a foot closer minimum focus distance than the 56mm. So while the 56mm has 6 more MMs and f1. 2. That is made up for by the foot closer of range to work in for composition. Which also gives a blurrier background. Something else to consider when choosing between these two amazing lenses.

100%!

The min focusing distance of the 56 wouldn’t look out of place on a Leica M lens spec sheet! :)

Of course at focal distances of a few meters the wide open 56 offers a subject separation that 50/2 cannot match, but there’s so much to a lens than this

Yes. I should have worded my post better. The 50 f2 won't beat the 56 in background blur. But with the closer focus distance, the background blur will be enough that it makes that decision on whether to spend the price difference on the 56mm easier to make. So far, I really like the look that the 50mm renders.

Yes. I should have worded my post better. The 50 f2 won't beat the 56 in background blur. But with the closer focus distance, the background blur will be enough that it makes that decision on whether to spend the price difference on the 56mm easier to make. So far, I really like the look that the 50mm renders.

The 50 looks really good to my eye... I love far too much the 35/1.4 to have an objective opinion about the 35/2 :D

The 23 F2 is a bit soft and vignette's like you're drawing the curtains*, plus it's about 21mm with the field curvature to match!

But the 50 renders nicely, is a useful and non-duplicated FL (in the Fuji prime range) has snappy AF, some level of WR, focuses closely and is small and light - there's an awful lot to like

(*I wish I'd thought of that line when I was writing up that review :D)

I don't whether to hit like, funny, or agree on that post :D

Having owned the 35mm 1.4 I completely understand the love for that lens. But also having owned, and currently owning the f2, I can say that both 35s are amazing lenses.

So far, the 50 is proving to be an excellent companion to the 16/35 combo as a daily walk around/shoot everything lens. I still need to shoot some portraits with it, but I am confident the 50mm will do very well.

Adam, surely you should/could be appraising the lens not your inability to get to grips with the 16mm? That said I think you are putting yourself down unnecessarily!

PS, I do enjoy your blog if that is what it is, although I don’t have an X-Pro2.

Mike, I think Adam is getting to that in part 3 of this story. He definitely is showing a progression of his work with the 16mm. The last two images of Part Two show he was starting to get into the groove of shooting with the 24mm field of view.

Back