Fuji My X-Pro2 Review

I think Adam you are spot on thinking that almost any modern/new camera will give acceptable results!
So it comes down to nuances of feel and design that will be what will make your mind up!

I also agree with both of you on modern cameras. To me, it seems, that all the rumors sites, review sites, youtubers, and so on. And equally important to this, their comments sections. Have created an atmosphere of gotta have the latest greatest. And if it doesn't meet someone's wish list, it gets knocked on for not being good enough to shoot with.

I find myself generally going the other way. Btw Adam, I sort of guessed which camera you had as soon as I saw that image of the orange juices on the table.

And it needed next to nothing in LR as well!

And the 50mm was the 7artisans one which costs about $350 new, so you don’t even need to spend the big bucks

I also agree with both of you on modern cameras. To me, it seems, that all the rumors sites, review sites, youtubers, and so on. And equally important to this, their comments sections. Have created an atmosphere of gotta have the latest greatest. And if it doesn't meet someone's wish list, it gets knocked on for not being good enough to shoot with.

They’re all more than good enough, it’s people complaining about things like dual card slots as a deal breaker... ok I wouldn’t sail on a cruise liner wih no lifeboats, but equally liners don’t sink very often!

Seriously though...

99.99% of people complaining about the canikon mirrorless haven’t even seen one, let alone used one, yet already the jury’s reached a verdict

I like having dual card slots, but shot Fuji for years without them. People I know who shoot in studios, tethered to capture one, have complained about the not having dual card slots. :doh:

You hit on something that is an issue with photography. There are a great many people out there who take a mediocre, or worse, picture. Then try to turn it into something spectacular through editing. While not having any true substance in the photo.

You hit on something that is an issue with photography. There are a great many people out there who take a mediocre, or worse, picture. Then try to turn it into something spectacular through editing. While not having any true substance in the photo.

When that happens I think of it as digital art

Fujifilm and Capture One Express

I think this is HUGE news, how wonderful for us to get what really is a very decent RAF editor for free. Sure the full version has far more bells and whistles, but the free version does waaaaay more waaaaay faster than Fujifilm's incumbent solution RFC ever did, and did I mention it doesn't cost a penny?

Let's take a look at some pictures from it

Fujifilm and Capture One Express

"But then, and I’m not trying to be rude – just stating facts, I got the X-Pro2 and it took them ages to support it"
Partially due to the timing of things. This caused me to think that there was either a problem with my 16-55 at the time. Or that I just wasn't getting along with a zoom as well as I did with primes. Only to find out later it was C1 not playing nice with the Pro2.

"But my personal shock announcement was that Fujifilm had teamed up with C1 to bring us “Capture One Express”"
Mine as well. I think I read the announcement twice before it full sunk in. This announcement was huge for me. Although the GFXr announcement has me wanting a medium format for the first time.

"But then, and I’m not trying to be rude – just stating facts, I got the X-Pro2 and it took them ages to support it"
Partially due to the timing of things. This caused me to think that there was either a problem with my 16-55 at the time. Or that I just wasn't getting along with a zoom as well as I did with primes. Only to find out later it was C1 not playing nice with the Pro2.

"But my personal shock announcement was that Fujifilm had teamed up with C1 to bring us “Capture One Express”"
Mine as well. I think I read the announcement twice before it full sunk in. This announcement was huge for me. Although the GFXr announcement has me wanting a medium format for the first time.

I wasn’t pleased that it took ages for them to support the x-trans3 cameras and even longer to support native lens corrections

I still think the Russian m240 is a joke... (even though I know it’s not)

Medium format... big bucks, big body, big glass, slow apertures (the Hasselblad one makes nicer files)

Of course if you habitually print big, it starts to make a lot of sense...

C1e really makes the xp2 files sing and they arrive in the editor looking pretty decent straight off the bat

I’ll swap to my computer to continue this!

Ok so where was I?

I don't think I've made much of a secret that as much as I love using the XP2 and the files are technically the best of the 3 cameras I regularly use...

....the thing is that I've been desperately trying to find a way to well... how to put into words... love the XP2 files more

(I'll spare everyone the de rigueur 'filmic, organic, less clinical' rhetoric - as these aren't really quantifiable things... except to say that if you see what I mean, then there's some likelihood that you agree)

To further drive my XP2 dissatisfaction... I re-purchased the XP1 and then the M9. Both cameras renowned for their um let's just say pleasing output :-D

L1012578.LR.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here we have an M9 file (from LR)

XPR21817.c1.e.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here we have an X-Pro2 file (from C1e)

Now this is VERY unscientific

Different cameras, different lenses, different days, different light - in fact the only thing roughly the same was that I was standing in about the same place (which is a bit freaky as the beach there is a mile or three long!)

Now I still think the Leica image pops a little more (and not just because I think it's visually more interesting than the Fuji one) and has a little more bite to it

But C1e has greatly closed the gap between the two cameras IMO and I really couldn't be happier about that

And all without spending a penny.

Thanks Fuji :)

EDIT:

I've just noticed that the pics have exif (did they always have that?)

Some notes on that.

Both cameras had a 2stop B+W ND. The M was f8 (not F13) and it's not a Noctilux hahahaha I wish, it's the 7artisans 50 F1.1, which is a bit of a character lens (aka it's a bit s**t IQ wise) but for £250 secondhand ($350 new) it makes a great beach lens, and it's a cheap way to get shallow dof in Leica world :-D

Excellent tutorial. I'm guessing that there will be a lot of new C1 users out there.

Thanks Bobby, these things are PITA to write to be honest, so I tried to keep it light hearted...

If it helps anyone then that's great... (the one I did on RFC way back when turned out to be well received, especially as RFC is used by more than one camera OEM)

Back