Fuji My X-Pro2 Review

Quite a contrast ain’t there! Generally I prefer your 2018 edits!
I have just gone through a similar reprocess some photos from using Velvia to reprocess to using Provia, too much saturation with Velvia!
Nice story, well done!

Thank you very much Mike

Wow, what a difference processing makes. I agree with Mike in preferring the 2018 edits.

When I first started shooting with the X-Pro2, I did the same as you. Just porting my X-T1 workflow over to the new camera. Which led me down a bad rabbit hole. I had also just switched from primes to the 2.8 zooms. And initially thought that the lens switch was responsible for my less than stellar work. When my workflow was the culprit. As they say, live and learn.

Wow, what a difference processing makes. I agree with Mike in preferring the 2018 edits.

When I first started shooting with the X-Pro2, I did the same as you. Just porting my X-T1 workflow over to the new camera. Which led me down a bad rabbit hole. I had also just switched from primes to the 2.8 zooms. And initially thought that the lens switch was responsible for my less than stellar work. When my workflow was the culprit. As they say, live and learn.

It’s strange isn’t it? We get new cameras because we want something different then expect it all to work the same :D

I'm excited for the flicker reduction and improved AF. As someone who has to regularly shoot in fluorescent lights, flicker reduction is a very welcome addition. The flicker reduction doesn't disable the electronic shutter, it just isn't active in electronic shutter. The menu is even inaccessible in electronic shutter. Similar to shooting with flash.

The AF improvements are most noticeable in low light. Also a very welcome improvement.

I still believe some the additions the X-Pro2 is not getting, like the front wheel iso control, is because Fuji is aiming the Pro2 towards a different crowd than the X-T2. Also missing is the separate AF point memory for the different camera orientations. Having the AF point stay where you left it in portrait orientation after turning the camera to landscape orientation and back is really nice. But I understand leaving that in the realm of XT land.

Having shot a X-T2 for my event season, I can say the front wheel iso can be nice. If you want to maintain a specific shutter speed and aperture, the front wheel iso allows you to quickly maintain the proper exposure. But I found I did not use this very often like I thought I would.

What baffles me, is not getting the feature you want the most. The better lines for the OVF. That should be the thing Fuji updates on the X-Pro2 more than anything else. Unfortunately, if we are to get this, it will probably be on the X-Pro3. Which I'm hoping will be amazing. Since we are having to wait longer for it.

Love your article as usual. It's become Sunday morning tradition to read it with my coffee before our weekly sparring rounds.

I'm excited for the flicker reduction and improved AF. As someone who has to regularly shoot in fluorescent lights, flicker reduction is a very welcome addition. The flicker reduction doesn't disable the electronic shutter, it just isn't active in electronic shutter. The menu is even inaccessible in electronic shutter. Similar to shooting with flash.

Thanks Bobby, I've updated my text to make this clearer :)

The AF improvements are most noticeable in low light. Also a very welcome improvement.

I still believe some the additions the X-Pro2 is not getting, like the front wheel iso control, is because Fuji is aiming the Pro2 towards a different crowd than the X-T2.

That's good news about the AF. It's always been quick enough for what I use.... but I'm a terrible barometer - my other cameras are an X-Pro1 and an M9, so the XP2 always seemed fast to me :D

You might be right about the ISO scroll wheel, but the 100F has it and that's basically a fixed lens X-Pro. It's not a problem to me, but the userbase has many people that want this feature.... On the M9 when you change the ISO you have to press and hold down a button whilst navigating to the desired value with the D-Pad/Scroll Wheel, so trust me X-Pro2 owners, the ISO really could be more of a faff :D

What baffles me, is not getting the feature you want the most. The better lines for the OVF. That should be the thing Fuji updates on the X-Pro2 more than anything else. Unfortunately, if we are to get this, it will probably be on the X-Pro3. Which I'm hoping will be amazing. Since we are having to wait longer for it.

Yes 100% agree. I totally get and agree with Fuji making certain things X-T2 only because of the intended usage of the camera (4K ability, batt grip etc), what I don't get is why the X-Pro2 doesn't have its own special things that make it an X-Pro2. The thing that makes it an X-Pro is the hybrid VF, but this is in many ways the weakest part of the design... it's not easy to see the display, the user can't brighten it (only away from native glass), the ERF thing screws up the histogram in anything but mini-full screen mode and I'm constantly dreaming of what could of been.... OK a bit melodramatic :) I mean it's all usable but strange that the core feature and USP of the X-Pro2 hasn't received more love

Unfortunately, if we are to get this, it will probably be on the X-Pro3. Which I'm hoping will be amazing. Since we are having to wait longer for it.

If the tech jump we had between the 1 and 2 is comparable to the 3 then yes, it will be amazing. We'll have to see...

I think if I was Fuji I'd want to make very clear definitions between the XP and XT lines.

The XP would have less stuff (no video!) but each feature would be really strongly implemented and the XT would have the bells and whistles.

I might even go as far as having different film sims for each camera, well the core common set that we all know, but one that's (say) a great base for professional colour grading on the XT and one that's somehow filmic and romantic on the XP (like a colour acros)

That way they might even end up selling more of each as some people will want both products

Love your article as usual. It's become Sunday morning tradition to read it with my coffee before our weekly sparring rounds.

Thank you very much Bobby. That's a lovely compliment

I've been playing with the XP2 and colour again

XPR20208.SP8-Edit.LR.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But even I'm getting bored to write about that :D :D

You are so spot on. Fuji needs to make a much larger differentiation between the Xpro and Xt lines. I'm all for the removal of video. Keep the exposure comp dial on the Xpro, remove it on the Xt and go the way of the X-H1. And much more which could be done to make the two lines different.

They already look different. The features are not the same, close but not the same especially since the latest upgrade.

At this point in time if you release a camera without video your looking at a lot smaller market for sales.

Im not trying to be critical just wondering what major differences you would make and have a body that still would warrant its existence.

Leica seems to be doing just fine selling cameras which cost north of $7000 which do not shoot video, or even have autofocus. There is a market for stills only cameras with limited features which are not catering to current trends. That justifies the existence of such a camera. There is more of a market for such a camera than you realize.

Many people own a few cameras, very often from different brands

The spec (bar sensor size) between the xh1, the omd m and the a7iii is virtually the same (for the important bits)

IMO if fuji want to buck the trend of pseudo slr mirrorless cameras with the x-pro range then it should be in more than just shape

Fuji seem to be (imo) trying to go up against sony and oly and this is all fine and dandy for people that want a dslr shape but with aperture rings and ss dials

But in a very real sense, I don’t think it’s enough...

For the people that want to be a bit different fuji are in a prime position to provide an x-pro solution that people really bond with

Something that only leica do to be honest

But fuji have the ability to do it better and cheaper

I really love my leica M but I assure you it’s a quirky mofo, that’s very rewarding within a narrow usage parameter that turns out lovely files (occasionally even when I’m using it, rather than looking at others pictures)

The x-pro1 was like this, a quirky pos with gorgeous files

The x-pro2 is a dslr with the “prism” hump loped off and the VF shifted to the side that makes high quality images, in the same way that popular high street coffee chains make nice coffee, namely lovely, flavoursome and yet ubiquitous

For my £/$/€0.02

Fuji should keep the xt/xh line in the incessant gladiatorial battle

And really make the xp line for the quirky folks that like to stand off centre

And this should follow the stripping back of fluff features

A real shooters camera

3 af modes off/on/tracking

No video

A high quality VF

No tethering

Just only things that support pointing a camera at something and pressing the shutter

This way they’d have something a bit different and a bit special

With the xh/xt line available for those that need bells and whistles

As it stands, I don’t feel that the xp2 neither a dslr or a special “rangefinder” type camera.

It’s neither one thing of the other

Last week I breezed through the “tax free” store in the airport

The original a7 now costs £650 incl kit lens. The budget sony 50/1.8 is another £300

That’s about what a xf56 costs (ie one apsc fuji lens costs the same as a ff sony with two lenses)

Fuji can’t compete with that and the fujis are expensive for what they are imo

So they need a product that people desire, and that means quirky and rewarding

They’re onto a good idea with the MF system, bringing MF to the highstreet at (more of less) top end FF money

Imo they need a product that does the same in apsc

And that should be the job of the x-pro range

Ok don't want to argue.

Edit: Thank you Adam this is what I was asking for. Im sure you and Bobbie have a lot more experience then I do. Im just back into photography from a long time away from it.

Ive been through a few systems since getting back. The only one I miss a little is the Nikon D750. The X-P2 seems to be a keeper for me.

Your post made me realize just how I shoot and what features I really use or want to use.
I like having Af but rarely use it.

"3 af modes off/on/tracking

No video

A high quality VF

No tethering"

Im still not sure of losing the video but I agree with the rest but would like add higher DR to the list.

Im awake now and see the point Bobbie was making.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly @Bobby Tingle I'm really sorry I'm late with this for your morning coffee (it's 4pm here), I had one of those days yesterday when I got invited out to photograph stuff in a far away town, a long walk (in 39 deg c) beers, dinner, then an ad-hoc offer to stay over in the AirBnB my friends had rented, before finally arriving back home (to a surprisingly less pi%%ed off mrs Adam than I was expecting) at about 3pm.

Anyway, here's this week's thang

The X-Pro2 and Monochrome Options

Ted Grant famously said:

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!”

But what about YOUR soul, how do you want your photograph to turn out?

The X-Pro2 and Monochrome Options

Back