Fuji My X-Pro2 Review

Interesting article Adam. Particularly your comment that you use you Fuji's MF only. Unless I have an MF only lens, I can't do that, for me it's just not the same with the Fujinons and the focus by wire.

Interesting article Adam. Particularly your comment that you use you Fuji's MF only. Unless I have an MF only lens, I can't do that, for me it's just not the same with the Fujinons and the focus by wire.

I use back button focus to get it close, adjust with the focus ring if needed

I just find that means I know where the focus is, which especially helps when I use the OVF

When I’m doing street (which is mainly what I do) I might go and stand on something like a drain cover, set my focus while the subject(s) are looking at me and I’m just pretending to muck about with the camera

Then walk away so they forget me

Then come back, stand in the same place and get my shot confident that I know what’s in focus or not

I could use af and af/l I guess... but on the fujis the manual focus selection is retained even if you turn the camera off and back on, even if you move the focus ring while the camera is off.

When I work I like to know where the focus is and have the focus set ahead of time, then not worry about it

But all roads lead to Rome :)

Glad you enjoyed the tease Adam, it is high time an X-Pro 3 appeared, the X-Pro2 is now equipment wise a little long in the tooth now, and it deserves an update.
Not least to cure losing the eyepiece and diopter dials, if that still happens?
It seems to me that every camera manufacturer needs to improve their eyepieces, thankfully Fujifilm is not the worst by a long shot. Sadly I don’t think I’ve ever ever had a full view through the eyepiece from Nikon, Canon, Pentax and even Fujifilm.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed the tease Adam, it is high time an X-Pro 3, the X-Pro2 is now equipment wise a little long in the tooth now, and it deserves an update.
Not least to cure losing the eyepiece and diopter dials, if that still happens?
It seems to me that every camera manufacturer needs to improve their eyepieces, thankfully Fujifilm is not the worst by a long shot. Sadly I don’t think I’ve ever ever had a full view through the eyepiece from Nikon, Canon, Pentax and even Fujifilm.

I think that if your xp2 has been back to fuji for a replacement vf part then the rubber eye cup stays put...

The dioptee dial is in a stupid place and turns too easily

The rumour sites have yet to mention a xp3.. but we had to wait 4 years between the 1 and 2

Thanks Adam, I don’t actually own an X-Pro2, but have long admired one, had I had one it would have been off to Fujifilm tout suite. I went the X-T route and currently use an X-H1, hankering after someone else’s green grass is always a fruitless exercise but addictive none the less. :D

Another reason I enjoy your blogs

It's fun to try out other cameras in a better setting than at a camera store. This is, of course, how the G.A.S. virus infects the body.

I like the shots you took. Look's like you adapted quickly to autofocus.

I like tilting the rear LCD up on the X-T bodies and using it like an old medium format camera.

No offense intended, but compared to your usual work, these pix are very ordinary. They do not have the considered, something-significant-is-going-on-here feel that is present in most of your street photography, a quality that I feel puts you in the top ranks of street photographers. (Of course, it doesn’t hurt that you live in an interesting and photogenic place.)

No offense intended, but compared to your usual work, these pix are very ordinary. They do not have the considered, something-significant-is-going-on-here feel that is present in most of your street photography, a quality that I feel puts you in the top ranks of street photographers. (Of course, it doesn’t hurt that you live in an interesting and photogenic place.)

None taken Dave, in fact that’s actually a compliment, a very very big one

and Portugal certainly inspires me to get out with a camera

I’m incredibly flattered at the ‘top ranks’ part, not convinced myself, but I’ll take it :)

The thing for me with my photography, I’m not really trying to reinvent the wheel, as far as I’m concerned, what made a picture look good 40 years ago, still makes a picture look good today...

But yeah anyway... the article... well “they” say get out of your comfort zone every now and then...

....box ticked and now back to business as usual :D

I noticed you felt that the X-T2 feels smaller. The T2 feels smaller to me also. Despite the measurements being to the contrary. The X-Pro2 feels wider in my hands. Which I prefer.

Two other nit picks on the T2 of mine. The exposure compensation dial being on top of the body, kind of blocking the shutter button. Instead of flush like on the Pro2. And I hate the placement of the AF joystick compared to the placement on the Pro2.

I noticed you felt that the X-T2 feels smaller. The T2 feels smaller to me also. Despite the measurements being to the contrary. The X-Pro2 feels wider in my hands. Which I prefer.

Two other nit picks on the T2 of mine. The exposure compensation dial being on top of the body, kind of blocking the shutter button. Instead of flush like on the Pro2. And I hate the placement of the AF joystick compared to the placement on the Pro2.

The XE3 had charm, felt very well put together

Truly TINY though, most of the functions being on the touch screen makes for an uncluttered body...

....didn’t really get my head round the touch screen controls (i get the principle though :))

I was too busy trying to keep up with the chap I’d lent my leica too to stop and figure it all out :D

I've been playing with the 10x8 format in post recently....

Kinda reminds me of being back at college...

Never really thought about it at the time.... a 3:2 sensor (aka 35mm film) and we made 5:4 ratio prints..

Meh what ya gonna do :D

Erm full disclosure these pics had nothing to do with my X-Pro2 or indeed any Fuji camera

All shot this afternoon before I got too hot and came home :)

it's a bit of a warts and all thing too, because I haven't slept on these yet to work out if they're a bit shit or not :D

L1009981-Edit.LR-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L1009983.LR-2.jpg
L1010007-Edit.LR.jpg

L1010008-Edit.LR.jpg

Quite a contrast ain’t there! Generally I prefer your 2018 edits!
I have just gone through a similar reprocess some photos from using Velvia to reprocess to using Provia, too much saturation with Velvia!
Nice story, well done!

Last edited:
Back