Fuji My X-Pro2 Review

Clean X-Pro 1s are plentiful for +/- $300, Bobby. Grab one.

An XP1 is about 80-90% of the iq of an m9 (namely signature look to the pictures) and although in different ways it’s just as quirky

It’s a rewarding camera to take a nice picture and they’re dirt cheap these days

Having never owned or shot the XP1, you may be spot on with it being the fondly remembered Fuji body. I picked the XP2 for this putting it in the Nikon D3 camp. Where a lot of the right things came together in one body. Having owned and loving the x100, I can see where you are coming from with the XP1. When I consider getting another x100 body, the original is what I would want.

The XP2 could very well just become a great product of it's time.

I also see where the X-T1 started a major change in the Fuji design philosophy. In a rather short time we've seen the X-Txx series, the XT2, XH1, and a medium format evolve from the X-T1. This line will be what makes the majority of money for Fuji. With a dedicated following to the Xpro line and XE line.

Fuji also had a great plan in making lens focal lengths in popular full frame equivalents. Now that Fuji is established we are seeing some diversion from that in the 50mm f2 and 80mm macro. Which have proven to be equally popular.

I disagree about Fuji putting themselves in a corner by leaving IBIS out of the XT line. And probably the XPro line as well. Yes, people will moan on the net. But remember, you always only here from the complainers. Not the people who are happy and out shooting. Fuji is one company which I believe actually monitors complaints like that. And puts those numbers against the number of sales to know if the lack of IBIS, or some other feature has any real impact on sales.

I agree wholeheartedly that Fuji needs to work on battery life. With the bigger body, the X-H1 should have came with a higher capacity battery. Also, with the grip for the X-T2 and H1 should have come a large single ultra high capacity battery. Along with the try to use two regular batteries if needed.

My current wish list for the XT/Xpro models is iso performance and dynamic range improvements.

For just the XT line, ergonomics. I feel that the AF joystick and the Q button should be swapped so the joystick is in a more natural place for the thumb while shooting. The XT line could also use better ergonomics in general. Also, speed in AF, blackout time, and refresh rate.

For the XPro, the OVF needs to have better visibility for everything it displays. Fuji made a step in the wrong direction there with the Pro2.

I can potentially see my Fuji future going X-T3. Then quite possibly to the X-Pro3 when it is finally released. And picking up a Pro1 somewhere along the way.

I think most camera buyers aren’t in forums etc

So when they go to the store, they just look at price and spec. And what makes fuji great doesn’t do so well in that scenario

Sorry, your reply deserves more, but I’m trying to watch tv having told myself I’ve spent too much time in front of a computer today (website redesign) whilst feeling slightly anxious about the final things i need to do for my exhibition that opens on Wednesday (plus drinking XO cognac)

Efinity grey import place. Someone i know just got one from there BNIB and with a 2016 manufacture date!
Overstock.com here has them new. And some dealers are selling them new in box through AmazonUS.

I think most camera buyers aren’t in forums etc

So when they go to the store, they just look at price and spec. And what makes fuji great doesn’t do so well in that scenario

Sorry, your reply deserves more, but I’m trying to watch tv having told myself I’ve spent too much time in front of a computer today (website redesign) whilst feeling slightly anxious about the final things i need to do for my exhibition that opens on Wednesday (plus drinking XO cognac)
I completely understand. You have quite a bit to deal with. As well as deserving a break from it all. I'll be around for many discussions to come.

Overstock.com here has them new. And some dealers are selling them new in box through AmazonUS.

I completely understand. You have quite a bit to deal with. As well as deserving a break from it all. I'll be around for many discussions to come.

I just typed a long reply to this and when I hit back space (to delete a character) my browser when to 'back' and it all got lost

I'll find the motivation to say it all again later

In short.

XP2 turned into lacklustre XT3 via FW. No model identity any more.

Keep XT2 for speed, features, AF, EVF.

Buy X-Pro1 for "rangefinder" (sic) experience and pretty charming files

You are doing a great job comparing and I do realize your just doing this comparison for fun. I enjoy the pictures I get from my X-P2 and if that changes I will sell it. I will add that Im considering adding a FF camera so I guess that means I feel something is lacking.

You are doing a great job comparing and I do realize your just doing this comparison for fun. I enjoy the pictures I get from my X-P2 and if that changes I will sell it. I will add that Im considering adding a FF camera so I guess that means I feel something is lacking.

Thanks

Which FF are you considering?

There’s nothing wrong with the xp2 images but purely in a HIGHLY subjective je ne sais quo way, they could have a little more soul

I suspect that they’re just a little too realistic

I would like to go with a mirrorless FF but at this time the choices are limited. I have been looking at the Sony A7iii but not sure if the quality is there.

I would like to go with a mirrorless FF but at this time the choices are limited. I have been looking at the Sony A7iii but not sure if the quality is there.

That’s a two horse race then, Leica and Sony.

For my opinion I’d look at lens focal lengths you like to shoot with and take it from there...

For example 23 on apsc and 35 on FF might have the same FOV but the perspective rendering is SUBTLY different. Same with 35/50.

I suspect your choice is Sony or wait for the rumoured nikon... the leica isn’t really mirrorless... it just doesn’t have a mirror and is geared up to be used as a rangefinder. They make the SL of course, but personally I think that’s a tough sell against the Sony (cost, lens size)

I would like to see what Nikon and Canon are doing as well as a rumored new Fuji. The problem with Nikon or Canon, imo will be the unproven body and availability of mirrorless lenses. I enjoy some of the things mirrorless offers otherwise I would look again at a DSLR. It would be nice if either or them would leak a little information to keep interest high and possibly save some of us from going to Sony.

I would like to see what Nikon and Canon are doing as well as a rumored new Fuji. The problem with Nikon or Canon, imo will be the unproven body and availability of mirrorless lenses. I enjoy some of the things mirrorless offers otherwise I would look again at a DSLR. It would be nice if either or them would leak a little information to keep interest high and possibly save some of us from going to Sony.

I’d like to believe that any canikon FF mirrorless would be able to use their incumbent lenses and not rely on a whole new lens roadmap being needed...

But I’d also like to believe in world peace, hangoverless beer and that I’m 6 foot tall too :D

Apart from the EVF which seems to be a carryover part from the previous generation, that A7iii really seems to have a lot going for it, and Sony have proper fleshed out their lens range now, not to mention all the glass that can be adapted to use on it and the various 3td party options

I can’t believe that Fuji will be making a FF camera any time soon, it would immediately devalue their entire APSC range in the eyes of the consumer....

I’d like to believe that any canikon FF mirrorless would be able to use their incumbent lenses and not rely on a whole new lens roadmap being needed...

But I’d also like to believe in world peace, hangoverless beer and that I’m 6 foot tall too :D

Apart from the EVF which seems to be a carryover part from the previous generation, that A7iii really seems to have a lot going for it, and Sony have proper fleshed out their lens range now, not to mention all the glass that can be adapted to use on it and the various 3td party options

I can’t believe that Fuji will be making a FF camera any time soon, it would immediately devalue their entire APSC range in the eyes of the consumer....

I would be quite something if they could convert the standard lenses to a mirrorless body, with an adaptor and mirror a specially designed lens for mirrorless bodies. They will probably, at release offer a couple of mirrorless lenses to start with.

I don't see Fuji offering a FF body yet either but Im not sure it would hurt the apsc bodies if they marketed them properly imo.

Sony is stepping up their lens selection. If you stay away from the Sony GM lenses their lenses become more affordable, lighter and smaller.

Fuji ventured into medium format. They’re not going to make a FF camera.

Never say never :). I personally feel if they did release a FF body at this time they could become a player right away. They have the experience that neither Nikon or Canon have. I don't think that is going to happen but if it did it would make my choice a lot easier :D.

They may somewhere way down the road. But Fuji is betting on Medium Format for their large format sensor and will not cut into those sales with a FF offering. Their MF system is still in it's infancy.

Back