Fuji My X-Pro2 Review

"the X-Pro1 does perhaps give a little more life to the image, less bite and contrast than the X-Pro2, but maybe a little more depth."

I see what you said in some pairs of pictures but the opposite in others, imo.

"the X-Pro1 does perhaps give a little more life to the image, less bite and contrast than the X-Pro2, but maybe a little more depth."

I see what you said in some pairs of pictures but the opposite in others, imo.

It’s ALWAYS win some/lose some when you play games like that Mike

If I used my method for PP’ing XP2 files with the RAF hack (detailed in an earlier article)

You get this

61983FC4-76E0-4E26-B1DF-1D429F229FF7.jpeg
BCD3F36A-9175-44EC-AFC4-0E0FCB37E867.jpeg

Exactly the same?

Not quite. Pretty darn close? I think so... YMMV

(For explanation one of these is XP1 the other XP2)

Overall, I like the X-Pro2 images with the normal edit better than with the hack edit. But this is purely on a personal level.

Every week when I read your articles I am so tempted to switch back to the Pro2.

Camera output seems to go through trends and phases... i bet when the X-Pro4 comes out someone will be blogging about how they miss that classic X-Pro2 look :D

I can’t imagine the Xp2 output is much different to the XT2 one (in raw anyway)

When the X-Pro2 was first released, I predicted it would be Fuji's version of the Canon 5D classic, or the Nikon D3. That camera everyone loves, and re buys for the nostalgia. And no one can put into words exactly what it is they love about that camera. Having owned the 5D twice :D, and shot with the D3, I know that exact feeling over those bodies. I've already gone back and forth between the Pro2 and XT bodies twice. I love love love shooting with the Pro2. But the XT bodies always prove to be the better working tool. I've said it before, that the X-T2 is a tool. And the X-Pro2 is a paint brush.

I've said it before, that the X-T2 is a tool. And the X-Pro2 is a paint brush.

And as I think I've said before, I find your analogy to be very much on target. I love my X-P1 for its quirkiness and other good qualities, but my X-T20 and X-T1 are much better working tools for me. I think that's probably because of 50 years of muscle memory handling SLRs. If I had spent all that time with rangefinder bodies, the X-P series would probably be an easier working tool for me.

When the X-Pro2 was first released, I predicted it would be Fuji's version of the Canon 5D classic, or the Nikon D3. That camera everyone loves, and re buys for the nostalgia. And no one can put into words exactly what it is they love about that camera. Having owned the 5D twice :D, and shot with the D3, I know that exact feeling over those bodies. I've already gone back and forth between the Pro2 and XT bodies twice. I love love love shooting with the Pro2. But the XT bodies always prove to be the better working tool. I've said it before, that the X-T2 is a tool. And the X-Pro2 is a paint brush.

Maybe...

I think that the 1 will be the “classic” as people tended to have a love, hate, love and hate relationship with it

Depending on how the/any X-Pro3 is, the XP2 might just end up being a product of its time and nothing more...

Bit like the Leicas I guess... the m9 was a legend, the m240 was better but didn’t grab the soul as much, now the m10... and no one really talks abou the 240 anymore

Also Fuji have changed IMO, they’re a lot more interested in being mainstream than they were when the XP1 and X100 first came out, producing products that are directly in comparison with their competitors

The reason for this change (again IMO) is the XT1. It look the quirky XP1/X100 line pushed it to one side, and gave people a true tool to use. This of course is a market that ALL the other camera OEMs have doing for years... except Leica of course, but even they have been desperately trying to expand their market with very un-Leica like cameras such as the TL/CL/SL/Q

I digress

I suspect the X-Pro2 will be part of the fuji story, once hot rapidly going tepid as other cameras (both Fujis and non-Fujis) trounce it in the specs stakes. It didn’t start the fuji story and I doubt it will end it.

Which will make it fairly unmemorable IMO

And speaking of Fuji future releases... I fear that they’ve put themselves into a bit of corner. Imagine if the rumoured lack of IBIS on any future XP3/XT3 is true, people will moan... Also I think Fuji need to take a big leap forward with battery life and EVF spec, both of which have been stuck at more or less the same place for 4 years now, and both areas that Sony has made significant strides in their recent models.

Last edited:
Having never owned or shot the XP1, you may be spot on with it being the fondly remembered Fuji body. I picked the XP2 for this putting it in the Nikon D3 camp. Where a lot of the right things came together in one body. Having owned and loving the x100, I can see where you are coming from with the XP1. When I consider getting another x100 body, the original is what I would want.

The XP2 could very well just become a great product of it's time.

I also see where the X-T1 started a major change in the Fuji design philosophy. In a rather short time we've seen the X-Txx series, the XT2, XH1, and a medium format evolve from the X-T1. This line will be what makes the majority of money for Fuji. With a dedicated following to the Xpro line and XE line.

Fuji also had a great plan in making lens focal lengths in popular full frame equivalents. Now that Fuji is established we are seeing some diversion from that in the 50mm f2 and 80mm macro. Which have proven to be equally popular.

I disagree about Fuji putting themselves in a corner by leaving IBIS out of the XT line. And probably the XPro line as well. Yes, people will moan on the net. But remember, you always only here from the complainers. Not the people who are happy and out shooting. Fuji is one company which I believe actually monitors complaints like that. And puts those numbers against the number of sales to know if the lack of IBIS, or some other feature has any real impact on sales.

I agree wholeheartedly that Fuji needs to work on battery life. With the bigger body, the X-H1 should have came with a higher capacity battery. Also, with the grip for the X-T2 and H1 should have come a large single ultra high capacity battery. Along with the try to use two regular batteries if needed.

My current wish list for the XT/Xpro models is iso performance and dynamic range improvements.

For just the XT line, ergonomics. I feel that the AF joystick and the Q button should be swapped so the joystick is in a more natural place for the thumb while shooting. The XT line could also use better ergonomics in general. Also, speed in AF, blackout time, and refresh rate.

For the XPro, the OVF needs to have better visibility for everything it displays. Fuji made a step in the wrong direction there with the Pro2.

I can potentially see my Fuji future going X-T3. Then quite possibly to the X-Pro3 when it is finally released. And picking up a Pro1 somewhere along the way.

Back